Why become a member? ×

Would You Play For Nothing?

Pete Academy

Nowadays, no way. When I first started out, I sometimes needed to do a few free gigs but now I wouldn't do it for free. Even if it was an originals band, the politics, egos (both musicians and audience) and bullsh!t that comes with it deserves some sort of money.

Except charity. I would do charity gigs for free, if it was for a worthy cause and a cause that meant something to someone I knew.

Edited by skej21

We are a covers band and we have done quite a few free gigs (Teenage cancer trust etc), and it gets you exposure and normally results in a couple of bookings, so they can actually work in your favour.
As for playing live and never getting paid, not sure to be honest. You would start all well meaning, but would eventually get into that *can't be arsed* mode.
A few free gigs is fine, but nothing beats waking up in the morning with some extra cash in your pocket after a fab gig.

If it's for a charity, yes, do it all the time with no expenses.

Mate's partys etc, yes. Expect grub and wine.

Jam nights and impromptu get togethers, yes, just good fun.

Local village thing? yes. Usually free food.

Some bastard making shed loads off our backs, NO

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1136134' date='Feb 21 2011, 08:10 PM']I think it's a question of how much do you actually love playing live. Would you sacrifice that money?[/quote]
It would depend on where the money was going. In someone else's pocket or to a good cause. I'm sure many people here would do a charity gig if they thought it was a good cause.

[quote name='leschirons' post='1136165' date='Feb 21 2011, 08:22 PM']If it's for a charity, yes, do it all the time with no expenses.

Mate's partys etc, yes. Expect grub and wine.

Jam nights and impromptu get togethers, yes, just good fun.

Local village thing? yes. Usually free food.

Some bastard making shed loads off our backs, NO[/quote]

Exactly, put brilliantly.

Depends on the degree of effort/expense I have to put in.
I'm unlikely to drive 100 miles and spend the best part of a day setting up for nothing.

We generally do a couple of fairly local charity gigs per year - they pay us a few quid for petrol and we just quietly give it back via one of the donation buckets.
I do a few plug n play nights a month and don't get paid for those unless I'm playing with a headline act.

One rule I've always had though, my 'proper job' pays the regular bills, it does not subsidise new instruments or any other musical paraphenalia - if I want a new piece of kit then I have to earn that money through playing.

We have done a couple of charity nights in the pub when we take our fee from the landlord and donate it to the charity that is hosting the night. That way everyone get`s something out of it. It`s good karma man!

Wouldn`t do it too often to be honest but once in a while is ok. I know that a lot of bands up here that play original material struggle to break even on the night.

Jez

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1136181' date='Feb 21 2011, 08:29 PM']The question is: what if you never got paid again? Would you just play for the sheer enjoyment? Would your band still enjoy the gigs, knowing there was no payment for them?[/quote]

Would be a different band..... my function band wouldn't want to continue....

Interesting stuff.
I reckon that just about everybody who's on Basschat would agree that playing music with other people is probably the most fun you can have with your clothes on.
I also think that in an ideal financial situation a lot of us would actually pay to play, not just do it for free!
I remember the first time I got paid for a gig I gave the money to charity. In my youthful foolishness I felt guilty about being paid for doing something I loved.
But now I've got two big hungry teenage daughters both learning to drive it's a different story!

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1136181' date='Feb 21 2011, 08:29 PM']The question is: what if you never got paid again? Would you just play for the sheer enjoyment? Would your band still enjoy the gigs, knowing there was no payment for them?[/quote]

I would rather be out gigging, not getting paid than being a bedroom bass player anyday. Nothing against people who are bedroom guitarist`s mind.

Jez

If 'hypothetically' there was no payment for ANY gig and I'd never get recompense for my equipment and its upkeep (inc thousands of pounds worth of PA and lights) or travel (long distances), then I'd play for free... but only down at my local boozer for Buskers Nights etc.

[quote name='Len_derby' post='1136190' date='Feb 21 2011, 08:32 PM']Interesting stuff.
I reckon that just about everybody who's on Basschat would agree that playing music with other people is probably the most fun you can have with your clothes on.
I also think that in an ideal financial situation a lot of us would actually pay to play, not just do it for free!
I remember the first time I got paid for a gig I gave the money to charity. In my youthful foolishness I felt guilty about being paid for doing something I loved.
But now I've got two big hungry teenage daughters both learning to drive it's a different story![/quote]

Great post.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1136201' date='Feb 21 2011, 08:35 PM']If your band has been playing a set number of venues for years for a certain amount of money, and suddenly those venues say they can't afford to pay you anymore, would your band just give up playing, or simply carry on playing at the same venues for free?[/quote]

Pete, your not involved in the governments 'The Big Plan' are you....... eh... eh...

I have played several gigs over the years for free, mainly for some sort of charity event.

The other times are where we have supported bigger bands and needed the extra exposure.

Normally though it's no money no gig, the fee I do receive goes back into my gear and also keeps my motorcycle on the road.

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1136201' date='Feb 21 2011, 08:35 PM']If your band has been playing a set number of venues for years for a certain amount of money, and suddenly those venues say they can't afford to pay you anymore, would your band just give up playing, or simply carry on playing at the same venues for free?[/quote]

I'd want to potentially expand to play more and more venues if we gain a larger fanbase, especially if there was the possibility of payment elsewhere. But I would never forget where we came from, and it'd still be a pleasure to play at the old faithful's, for free. Especially if we still got a great reaction! Like I said, it's a hobby to me. And doing a gig is a lot cheaper than a night on the p*ss :)

Edited by chrismuzz