Why become a member? ×

Roxy Music bassist

iconic

I came across this clip a while ago and have been enjoying it ever since. What a great bassline by Gary Tibbs- a superb and often underrated player. Contrary to what some people think , it's not the case that Alan Spenner played on all the records and Gary Tibbs just played the live shows ; after he joined the band Gary played on a good proportion of the recorded work . It's not Gary's fault that he was a good-looking man and people ( wrongly) assumed that he was just there to look photogenic. I like to think the same problem has dogged me throughout my bass playing career. He's a top-class bassist and this line shows his ability at it's best. It's hard to find out if it was Gary or Alan Spenner on the original track , but he handles it with aplom , eitherways:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OfRZ63gLgI

ReceIved wisdom about Roxy Music is that the early stuff was best , but I like them much better during this kind of polyester trousers - disco phase in the late 70s/early 80s. I'm a big fan of Alan Spenner's playing too , and part of what I find so interesting about these records is the way that Alan Spenner ( and Gary Tibbs for that matter) tries to absorb something of Bernard Edwards pervasive influence into his busy lines , using muting and syncopation ect. on tracks like Angel Eyes and Same Old Scene. I'm sure the huge success of Chic around this time was a major influence on the way that Bryan Ferry wanted the band to sound and the bass parts were created accordingly.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1350241461' post='1836268']Contrary to what some people think , it's not the case that Alan Spenner played on all the records and Gary Tibbs just played the live shows ; after he joined the band Gary played on a good proportion of the recorded work .[/quote]

Alan Spenner and Neil Jason were the main bassists with Roxy Mk II (Manifesto, Flesh + Blood, and Avalon). Gary Tibbs played on either two or three studio tracks featured on Mk II albums. (Two versions of the Manifesto album exist, featuring different recordings of two tracks, so whether it's two or three depends on which version of that album you've been listening to all these years.) When you take into account Ferry played bass on one Mk II track, it's hard to argue Tibbs studio input was anything other than minimal. Tibbs main role was live performance. As for the tracks "Manifesto" and "Same Old Scene", both lines were played by Spenner.

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1350257148' post='1836597']
Alan Spenner and Neil Jason were the main bassists with Roxy Mk II (Manifesto, Flesh + Blood, and Avalon). Gary Tibbs played on either two or three studio tracks featured on Mk II albums. (Two versions of the Manifesto album exist, featuring different recordings of two tracks, so whether it's two or three depends on which version of that album you've been listening to all these years.) When you take into account Ferry played bass on one Mk II track, it's hard to argue Tibbs studio input was anything other than minimal. Tibbs main role was live performance. As for the tracks "Manifesto" and "Same Old Scene", both lines were played by Spenner.
[/quote]

Alan Spenner was always Brian Ferry's preferred bass player . Gary Tibbs played on Jealous Guy which was a number one single in the U.K , as well as the tracks you mention . He may also have played on some of the alternative versions and extended versions and remixed tracks from Maifesto as he was present at the NYC sessions for the album . To me, that is not an insignificant contribution.

Edited by Dingus

• 3 years later...

Alan Spenner fans with good taste should check out the original Jesus Christ Superstar album (there's a myriad of versions, don't get the film OST by mistake which is I believe someone else)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5F8jLt9XiI

Check out Superstar at 1:18:15 and What's The Buzz at 0:09:54.

[quote name='Sonic_Groove' timestamp='1297457854' post='1124353']
I think you will find Alan Spenner did all the studio bass -- Gary played live

B
[/quote]

Spenner did the Live in Frejus gig with Andy Newmark on drums.. Prior to Tibbs, it was Graham Simpson, IIRC

Not forgetting all of Gustafson, Spenner and Tibbs played Wal, and got that fabulous sound on Avalon and the like. I'm really surprised that Mr Tibbs played on the single Jealous Guy as it sounds so much like Alan Spenner to be unreal.

I think possibly Alan Spenner played on the Woodstock Joe Cocker film - he certainly ranks as one of my favourite ever bass players with groove and note choice/musicality on a par with Jamerson and Palladino - greatly underrated. That whole nucleus of Kokomo played on quite a lot of stuff in the 70s - I have an old Alvin Lee live album (in Flight), which has most of Kokomo on it, including Spenner on bass.

Spenner in some ways is interesting in progressing from P bass to Wal. He made a P bass sound absolutely great but the Wal really brought out the nuances of his playing - saw him live at a Kokomo reunion concert in the late 70s using the Wal and the live sound was just unbelievably good - one of the reasons I want one ....

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1448030941' post='2912507']
Alan Spenner fans with good taste should check out the original Jesus Christ Superstar album (there's a myriad of versions, don't get the film OST by mistake which is I believe someone else)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5F8jLt9XiI

Check out Superstar at 1:18:15 and What's The Buzz at 0:09:54.
[/quote]

And ironically, John Gustafson singing the role of Simon the Zealot.

Ian Gillan as Jesus, Murray Head as Judas and Mike D' Abo as Herod. Not a bad line up!

The bass line on the Manifesto track itself is great. Really clever/nice stuff - assuming from previous comments this is Alan Spenner?

The first two Roxy albums do it for me (Graham Simpson, on both, I think) and there's a cheeky little bass homage to Day Tripper in Re-Make/Re-Model off their debut album... which Ferry then 'covered'/reinterpreted on his Let's Stick Together album which in turn features John Gustafson delivering a killer bass performance.

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1448194777' post='2913539']
Reading through this thread I'm trying to remember when I played bass for Roxy Music. Must have done at some point but........nope, it's gone.
[/quote]

I know the feeling. I was watching that BBC4 doc about women in rock and when they came to the little feature on Brix Smith realised to my horror that I must be the only person never to have been a member of The Fall.

[quote name='Sonic_Groove' timestamp='1448289987' post='2914169']
There are even more great bass players on Ferry's solo albums. Late one's (Boys & Girls on) heavily feature one Mr Marcus Miller!!

B

PS RIP Spenner & Gusto
[/quote]

Shared sentiment on AS and JG.

If you watch Ferry on the Live Aid video you'll see Marcus sporting a rather new looking modded jazz (his normal one) - it's a shame that his sound (IMO) is not good, and pales into also ran when compared with Pino on fretless Stingray and Trace Elliott with Paul Young elsewhere in the concert.

Quite disappointing but then Marcus redeemed himself for me on live Miles films of that era when both his playing and sound were sublime.