Why become a member? ×

Roxy Music bassist

iconic

Doin' the decorating means I'm listerning to the radio all day and sending myself txts when I hear a good tune....and this one sure passed me by back in the 80's, good fun to play.

I think this guy is called Gary Tibbs, lovely old nice old Fender P, full set of pup covers 'n, well he's a bit scary too :) I getting worried I'm starting to like Old Fender's...didn't see that coming! Didn't he play for Mr Adam Ant?

...and then if my eyes don't deceive me the pup covers are off!

Same Old Scene Chords

Intro: D#m B D#m B D#m B G#m C#

D#m B
Nothings last forever
D#m B
Of that I'm sure
D#m B
Now you've made an offer
G#m C#
I'll take some more

A#m B
Young loving may be
A#m B
Oh so mean
A#m B
Will I still survive
G#m C#
The same old scene?

In our lighter moments
Precious few
It's all that heavy weather
We're going through

When I turn the corner
I can't believe
It's still the same old movie
That's haunting me

Young loving may be
Oh so mean
Trying to revive
The same old scene

Solo: C# C# as version

Young loving may be
So extreme
Maybe we should try
The same old scene

Solo: C# D#m G#m F# C# as version

Nothings last forever |
Of that I'm sure |
Now you've made an offer |x3 version to fade
I'll take some more |

...Fools Gold next :) :lol:

[quote name='Hobbayne' post='1124048' date='Feb 11 2011, 04:55 PM']Gary Tibbs left Roxy Music to join Adam & The Ants. I cant think of two more different musical projects :) Its a bit like JJ burnel leaving the Stranglers to join Bucks Fizz!! :lol:[/quote]

Not quite.... Adam & The Ants had some tasty basslines and weren't completely 'pop' :)

I used to deliver his papers when he was with the Vibrators and I was about 13. No one round my way could believe it when he popped up with Roxy Music. Like so many players in punk bands at the time, he pretended to be crap but was actually pretty good :)

[quote name='Sonic_Groove' post='1124353' date='Feb 11 2011, 08:57 PM']I think you will find Alan Spenner did all the studio bass -- Gary played live

B[/quote]

Indeed, worlds apart Spenner and Tibbs.

Alan Spenner, wonderful player. Used to see him play with Kokomo. Played a Wal then.

Tibbs.....pretty boy....brought in for the videos...got the Ants gig as he wasn't taller than Mr Ant. :)

[quote name='oldslapper' post='1124396' date='Feb 11 2011, 09:36 PM']Indeed, worlds apart Spenner and Tibbs.

Alan Spenner, wonderful player. Used to see him play with Kokomo. Played a Wal then.

Tibbs.....pretty boy....brought in for the videos...got the Ants gig as he wasn't taller than Mr Ant. :)[/quote]

I thought it was Alan Spenner on the record too.

Incredibly versatile - was it him that played on Joe Cocker's "Little Help From My Friends"?

Sadly died some time ago.

[quote name='cetera' post='1124055' date='Feb 11 2011, 05:00 PM']Ah yes... Gary Tibbs, saw him with Adam & The Ants back in 1981 at the Dominion Theatre on the Prince Charming tour...

Oops! Have I dated myself there...?!? :) :)[/quote]
Same here but at the Manchester Apollo. Got on the bus with purple nail varnish on. Not my finest moment.

[quote name='thinman' post='1125358' date='Feb 12 2011, 08:03 PM']....Incredibly versatile - was it him that played on Joe Cocker's "Little Help From My Friends"?....[/quote]
Alan Spenner joined The Grease Band after With A Little Help From My Friends had been recorded. That bass line was played by Chris Stainton.

[quote name='Thunderthumbs' post='1126127' date='Feb 13 2011, 05:09 PM']Same here but at the Manchester Apollo. Got on the bus with purple nail varnish on. Not my finest moment.[/quote]

:) Don't worry... I had a fake Hussar jacket and a white line across my nose! :) :lol: