Why become a member? ×

Record for not changing strings

ZMech

Just realised that i've had the same set of la bella flats on my bass for two years now. I still like the sound, so don't really see the point in changing them, but part of me just feels i should do.

So I was wondering who on basschat holds the record for longest time without changing the strings on their main bass. Anyone over the decade mark?

Not my main bass, but EKO acoustic bass, circa 1980, Original Rotosound Trubass still on it & still sound good. Played it a lot during the early / mid 80s in a Folk band. That was 2 gigs with 3 hours playing time most weeks of the year. The good old days of plentiful well paid gigs. Sigh!

TI flats on G&L 5 years?

Edited by 3below

My old trusty ibanez SR800LE had the same strings on between circa 1992 and 2009, but I gigged and practiced with it heavily only until 2001. i have no idea what they were, but I have the distinctive impresion they were a mismatched set anyway. Skint young man had no money for new strings!

My rounds have been on for about 3 years now, although I've been thinking about changing them for the past 6 months or so, mainly as a result of all the comments here about changing or cleaning strings regularly.

I do rub them down carefully with a dry cloth after every rehearsal and gig though - does that get me off the hook?

[quote name='Zach' post='1115542' date='Feb 4 2011, 04:21 PM']Just realised that i've had the same set of la bella flats on my bass for two years now. I still like the sound, so don't really see the point in changing them, but part of me just feels i should do.

So I was wondering who on basschat holds the record for longest time without changing the strings on their main bass. Anyone over the decade mark?[/quote]

Over the decade, oh lordy yeah! I had rotosounds on my P for at least 15, probably more like 20 years, and they sounded great!

I hate new strings...

Had same set of d'Addario 'Chromes' flats on my Tokai for over five years. Think it took two years for them to play in!

A knackered '62 Precision recently that I came across recently which unsuccessfully tried to buy, had according to its owner the same Rotosounds on it since 1971. They actually had a nice tone.

Edited by nick

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1115675' date='Feb 4 2011, 05:59 PM']My rounds have been on for about 3 years now, although I've been thinking about changing them for the past 6 months or so, mainly as a result of all the comments here about changing or cleaning strings regularly.

I do rub them down carefully with a dry cloth after every rehearsal and gig though - does that get me off the hook?[/quote]

ha ha...NO..!!

Seriously, though, rounds need to be changed. There are degrees of being played in, IMV...and I prefer a 'live' sound, but after a few months they just feel awful....REALLY awful. That in itself is enough to HAVE to change them, IMV.

[quote name='Zach' post='1115542' date='Feb 4 2011, 04:21 PM']Just realised that i've had the same set of la bella flats on my bass for two years now. I still like the sound, so don't really see the point in changing them, but part of me just feels i should do.

So I was wondering who on basschat holds the record for longest time without changing the strings on their main bass. Anyone over the decade mark?[/quote]
Not a Bass ...............BUT...........................I have a 79 Gibson LP Custom on Ebay now with a start of £1900 and the strings are those put on about 20 years back.How Tight am I????
Vintage & Collectable strings MUST add to the Value :)

I built my first bass myself around 1974 and fitted some Selmer tape wounds. One of these snapped about a year later and I fitted some rotosound 'swing bass', which are still on it, so I reckon about 35 years.

To be fair that bass did spend quite a few years up the attic so not 35 years of continuous use.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1120267' date='Feb 8 2011, 04:42 PM'][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=121791"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=121791[/url][/quote]

Yeah, I was gonna post that! 45 years takes some beating!! :)

I had my peavey bass strings on for 3 years from when I bought it to when I sold it. Not very long. Don't know if this counts, but when I bought my columbus bass, it came with some strings on it that if they weren't original, must have been at least 20-25 years old. I ended up using one of them to hold the curtain in my bedroom window up...

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='tom1946' post='1124630' date='Feb 12 2011, 08:32 AM']A lady who plays acoustic guitar (not well) in our band has an EKO 12 string guitar she bought new in 1967 and it still has the original strings on it, :yuk:

She likes the sound of it. I think it's sh*t but there you are.[/quote]

To be fair she must be decent not to have broken one in that time.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1120267' date='Feb 8 2011, 04:42 PM'][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=121791"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=121791[/url][/quote]

Wow !! :)

As far as strings go just as an when needed, not a fan of flat's so .... think about 18months is about my record for strings