Why become a member? ×

Bass strap position.. whats yours...

bubinga5

I used to have my strap very high. i used to wear the bass just under my chest..to be honest its because i thought it looked cool..as im getting older its getting lower, im only talking inches mind.. the most comfortable position for me is with the upper bout (inner arm down from the elbow) on the bottom of my rib cage.....(and its comfortable). some say way down low looks cool, but i cant work out how that is efficient for playing.. but i guess i used to do it... just higher up...fashion is a cripling thing.. im sure its gonna get lower..

i tried an old Sadowsky strap ive got, thats very high, and i hated it... way too high.. feels like im trying to get something out of an L shaped box with my plucking hand..

my old Brooklyn Gear strap is spot on...

Whats your pref?

Mine would be considered low to some people, but if i have it higher its painful. I have mine where its in pretty much an optimal position for pick and finger playing, so either one isn't too hard to do because i use both.

I sometimes have it abit lower than this, but that isnt too often, just when im playing 100% pick as i find that abit easier.

Liam

Fairly low slung. I have a bad shoulder, so playing with my right arm at virtually full stretch is the best position for me. I play better with it higher, as my fretting hand is more mobile, but it hurts more.

And low slung does look cool :)

I generally sit down and and adjust the strap so that the bass will be in the same position. Some I may have to
lower a smidge,and some are a little higher,depending on body shape and/or scale length,but they are all within
about an inch or so of each other.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1112958' date='Feb 2 2011, 08:30 PM']It used to be across the thigh as I thought that was cool but it's got higher. For a long time now (years) I have it so the strings go across the fly area. I think because I got into bad habits in the early days they've proven tough to break[/quote]

They may be bad habits but they don't make you blind. :)

[quote name='Bankai' post='1113293' date='Feb 3 2011, 12:05 AM']Mine is just in the right position for playing naked. I'm yet to have a gig yet where that is an option though.[/quote]

I did a gig for a swingers club a few years back and didn't realise what it was until I was told three months later...

... I just thought the audience were friendly... :)

Normally with the centre of the bass around belt buckle height. Best compromise for me between a relaxed right arm and fretboard access.

Plus, I'd hate to look like the visual accompaniment to the Seinfeld theme that I imagine plays in non bassists heads whenever they see a bassist.

I tend to have mine slightly higher than when im sitting with it. Although comfortable when sitting, the bass is in a different position, even if its the same height, when standing so this feels comfortable.
I actually think it looks quite un cool this high but comfort is a priority. I cant see how anyone can play with the bass hanging around their thigh area. Respect to those who do.