Why become a member? ×

New Ritters

Pete Academy

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1080510' date='Jan 6 2011, 09:59 PM']I just think these instruments are absolute works of art, which is why they aren't seen in gigging situations.[/quote]

I think you have hit the nail on the head. Having said that, the finishes in the flesh so to speak, aren't as impressive as they look in the photos. I always make a point of seeing Jen's stand at Frankfurt though... it's always good to see what craziness he has got up to! I love the fact that he handles his basses with white cotton gloves too!

You can imagine some of the elements of his work filtering through into the mainstream - the finish of the one with the Bokote fingerboard for example. Also the grain in some of the necks are stunning.

Got to agree with Silldx here, it's the Princess Isabella guitar which has the real wow factor.

It's funny, I think that Leo Fender's jazz bass was a work of art, but then when I see Ritters I think they look garish and a bit tacky, sort of like ordering a Rolls Royce in 24k gold, with bright blue xenons and a hot-tub in the back. I suppose one man's meat is another man's poison, but suffice to say they ain't my thing!

yes, the Princess Isabella looks like a lovely big mint imperial - I just want to lick it!
The tailpiece is neat too.

The photography is brilliant, but I'd be interested to know in what way they don't live up to the photos in the "flesh", if EBS would care to elaborate....

I had a play on Oakbear's Ritter 6er at the Nottingham Bass Bash, it's probably the nicest 6 string bass I've ever played. It looked and played amazingly.

Having said that, I'd never trust myself with one, mine get knocked about a bit (not managed to damage anything yet, it's only a matter of time though) and the thought of knocking an instrument that's as much art as a tool scares me. Anything that goes over the grand mark 2nd hand worries me a bit when I play it and I don't think I could own out of fear.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1080625' date='Jan 7 2011, 12:08 AM']That's easy ThomBM us guys that play the over a thousand pound second hand basses call it mojo, On cheaper ones it's called damage :)[/quote]

:lol: I'm still passing off the dings on my Sandberg as part of it's relic'd finish. But shh, don't tell anyone. :)

Unfortunately, I don't think a "mojoed" Ritter would look quite as effective as a slightly battered (for example) Fender. :D

[quote name='silddx' post='1080332' date='Jan 6 2011, 07:50 PM']Love the White and gold Cora, but the Princess Isabella guitar is a winner for me, absolutely gorgeous![/quote]

Agreed.
I prefer the white Cora over the more fancy Roya models. It has an understated elegance about it.

I would love to know how he achieves the gold finish on some of those quilted maple basses. Absolutely gorgeous.
Loving the 9,500 year old oak one too, but it'd be better if he could have split the headstock aswell and not just the body. Matching grey and blue headstock would be amazing!

Truckstop

[quote name='Rich' post='1080751' date='Jan 7 2011, 09:10 AM']The basses really are lovely, but this is definitely the star of the show for me. Stunning.

[/quote]

Agreed. I wouldn't be surprised if the guitar outsells the basses by a mile. It's a masterpiece.

Edited by Spoombung

[quote name='bartelby' post='1080900' date='Jan 7 2011, 11:52 AM']Great finishes on some of them, but the only person who could get away with playing any of them is Prince...[/quote]
Funny you say that, Prince's bassist Josh Dunham helped design the Cora (not sure if he actually uses it tho :lol: )

& you lot, get your eyes off my Roya! :) :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1080271' date='Jan 6 2011, 07:00 PM']Not too keen on the body shapes but there are some truly fantastic finishes on some of those basses... :)[/quote]
I think the body shapes are fantastic - shame that Tony Tsai has stopped doing these basses:

[quote name='Truckstop' post='1080765' date='Jan 7 2011, 09:30 AM']I would love to know how he achieves the gold finish on some of those quilted maple basses. Absolutely gorgeous.
Loving the 9,500 year old oak one too, but it'd be better if he could have split the headstock aswell and not just the body. Matching grey and blue headstock would be amazing!

Truckstop[/quote]

Thinking about it a bit more - if the wood is 9500 years old doesn't that mean it's gonna turn into graphite half way through a gig? :)

[quote name='Spoombung' post='1080339' date='Jan 6 2011, 08:54 PM']It's possible their customers may be trophy, art collector types rather than players if you know what I mean. Strange they don't get played much or seem conspicuous in bands - unlike equally expensive basses such as Alembics and the like.[/quote]
Although there are collectors (there's someone with over 20 Ritter Basses) and even museums that buy Ritter Basses, most of the customers use them on stage. Jens has made around 500 instruments (+/- 450 are on his website). He finishes about 50 a year, so it's quite normal you don't see them that often.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='1080523' date='Jan 6 2011, 11:13 PM']I think you have hit the nail on the head. Having said that, the finishes in the flesh so to speak, aren't as impressive as they look in the photos. I always make a point of seeing Jen's stand at Frankfurt though... it's always good to see what craziness he has got up to! I love the fact that he handles his basses with white cotton gloves too![/quote]
I think people sometimes expect too much. All in all it's just a bass. I like the finishes a lot. I liked to Cora when I saw the pictures, but when I received the bass and opened the case... just wow... I think it's even nicer "in the flesh". The same goes for my Roya.

[quote name='xgsjx' post='1080916' date='Jan 7 2011, 01:04 PM']Funny you say that, Prince's bassist Josh Dunham helped design the Cora (not sure if he actually uses it tho :) )[/quote]
Prince's, meanwhile former, bass player Josh is a really nice guy and a good friend of Jens. And yes, he plays his Ritter basses all the time. When he toured with Prince last year, he had several Ritter basses with him.

I really like my 2 Ritter basses. There's even a 3rd custom Ritter coming :)

This is my favorite of the new available basses

If anyone has questions about Jens' instruments, PM me or post them here. I talk to Jens on a very regular basis (I'm his webmaster).

Jens will be at the NAMM Show in Anaheim California from January 14th to 17th. Upstairs Hall C Booth #4182 .

Edited by friz

I do wonder about that bog oak one, as bog oak is an odd wood to work with, light and brittle with lots of small voids. I guess he got an exceptional piece...

I have to so there's nothing in the current crop which makes me go wow compared to some older stuff.

Now that fretless jupiter 6 for sale here, that's another matter! Oh to have 3 grand spare!

I've gigged my Ritter (it's my only 'proper' bass), and used to do so regularly. It's had it's share of bumps and the odd fall, but fortunately remains pretty much unscathed.
No point having one if you don't use it!

Each to their own cup of tea. Beautiful workmanship, he's obviously a craftsman & doing something different but.....no offence to any proud owners, just my opinion, they make my sh*t itch, hideous looking things! Leopardy grain top half, stripy bottom half??? Whats that about? Looks like he just ran out of wood half way through! for that many euro's I wouldn't want to see the join.
They might play like a dream too but I still wouldn't part with my hard earned wedge on one. What am I talking about I will never be able to afford one anyway. Too rich & curly for a grizzled old cheapskate like me.
Cheers,
Norm