Why become a member? ×

Which 3 Bassists Influence Your Bass Lines?

xilddx

I was listening to The Jayhawks last night & admiring the tasteful playing & tone of Marc Perlman - so him for mixing a rockier influence with country music.

Then Chris Hillman from The Byrds. He seems to have moved onto other instruments these days & more is the pity.

Finally Steve James from the 80s Stonesy Sleaze rockers The Dogs D'Amour made me pick up a bass (not literally) and I think there is still a bit of his style in my playing now. He plays fairly straight but has little flurries of interest and I would hope that is what I do.

Onstage I still think I have a bit of a Paul Simonon attitude and my punk rock roots haven't left my onstage persona despite having left punk behind 15yrs ago

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1019123' date='Nov 10 2010, 06:22 PM']I was listening to The Jayhawks last night & admiring the tasteful playing & tone of Marc Perlman - so him for mixing a rockier influence with country music.[/quote]
Good call! I love the Jayhawks!

For me

Mike Mills: incredibly melodic and absolutely always spot on for the song. Frequency, Living Well, Bad Day. Mills has been a hero of mine for years.
Duff: simplistic genius and ultracool guy.
Jeff Ament: Duff + Mills in a single package. Total mastery of taste. And PJ are the most relevant band ever. Period.

I was thinking about this all day (Should have thought before posting this morning), and I've decided...Watching myself play on Youtube and stuff.

Brian Ritchie - Working around Chords, not being afraid to stick my neck out sometimes.
John McVie - Keeping things going.
Pino Palladino - Making sure I always get the feel right.

Deacy is still an inspiration, but it said 3.

Edited by AndyTravis

Andy Fraser - why wasn't I that good at 17/18?

Eugene Wright - Brubeck the great concerts - a 1958 - 63 set of recordings that are phenomenal

Kevin Marcotte - Colin Lake and Wellbottom - Bullet album - just love that bass tone & style

Can't I have more than three? I just pick bits up from most things I listen to so it must be the last three bass players I listened to today who made me think 'yep that's good in that situation'.

At the moment it has to be

Colin Edwards - Porcupine Tree. Seen them live and this guy makes everything look effortless and so much fun. Really intelligent lines that aren't just "I can play faster than thou".

James Jameson - I know it's quite an obvious one but I've only been [i]really[/i] digging him as of late. Got "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" and just been reading through the songs and they just open up so much when you learn them note for note. Absolute gem.

Leland Sklar - Another obvious cat but after watching a load of interviews with him, I found a massive respect for his attitude towards his playing and just his persona overall.

John Entwhistle (Simply a legend)

Neil Murray (Whitesnake - A bit 'dated' these days but listen closely to Neil's basslines and you will be pleasantly surprised)

John Paul Jones (Another Bass legend, although JPJ wins first prize for worst hairdo in a public place for his appearance in The Song Remains the Same - utterly bouffant)!!

LC

[quote name='silddx' post='1018307' date='Nov 10 2010, 01:24 AM']I think mine are, in order of who spring to mind, when I'm writing a bass line on the spot are ..

[b]Scott Thunes

Paul Simonon

Geddy lee[/b]

So who are yours?[/quote]

Can't do three four at a push!

Herbie Flowers
Jack Bruce
George Porter Jnr
Flabba Holt

1: Jack Bruce
2: Neil Murray
3: Tony Levin (sorry Pino!)

But. Of those three, I've only [i]consciously[/i] attempted to mimic Jack Bruce on occasion, so I can't say for sure that the others are true influences, despite the fact that I love what they do.

F'rinstance, at a local jam a while back, a guitarist commented that my playing reminded me of Leo Lyons from Ten Years After. This would fit, as I was a huge TYA fan in the past... less so now, but I still rate them. [b]Leo isn't in the list[/b], but he's left his mark.

So who else is likely to have influenced me, albeit unconsciously, and why should it be limited to other bass players?

I'm a huge fan of Ritchie Blackmore - both his tone & use of the Harmonic Minor scale - so it's possible that I've 'soaked up' some of his stuff. The same holds true for Jon Lord.
Back in the day, "Bluesbreakers" and "A Hard Road" were on heavy rotation, so that could bring in Clapton, Peter Green and John McVie.

My influences? Dunno. You'll have to tell me. I'm too close.

Pete.

Edited by Bloodaxe