Why become a member? ×

Which 3 Bassists Influence Your Bass Lines?

xilddx

Flea (Very obvious and probably sad i know but undeniably the truth...)

Louis Johnson (The Daddy...nuff said)

Nick Fyffe (weirdly i am probably the only bass player in the world who prefers his style to Zenders.... :) )

Oh yeah and as a 4th choice..... Alain Caron :)

Edited by TommyK

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='1018596' date='Nov 10 2010, 11:37 AM']To me, it means you have good taste sir! And if you'd said Danny Thompson instead of Rick kemp, even better![/quote]

I liked Pentangle well enough, but they didn't really make a huge impact on me - using electric instruments to play folk music though... it was unheard of at the time and was akin to witchcraft :)

Peter Cetera (Chicago) - melodic and forthright basslines & all while singing superbly! :lol:
Tiran Porter (Doobie Brothers) - master of groove, melody and knowing what's 'just right' for a song :)
Gene Simmons (KISS) - showed me how to play well constructed rock basslines while putting yourself 'forward' on stage :D

Others just outside the top 3 would have to include Phil Lynott, John Deacon , Dee Murray & Rutger Gunnarsson...

...and of course they all link back to McCartney/Jamerson :)

Edited by cetera

This is a tough one! At this moment in time I'm going for :

(1) Mike Mills (R.E.M.)
(2) Kim Deal (Pixies)
(3) Jimi Goodwin (Doves)

This is based on the fact that they are all from my favourite bands, can also sing and play other instruments and cover the areas of being great bass players whether playing root notes or melodic flourises.

Now, if I mention who I DIDN'T pick... ;-)

Martyn P Casey (The Bad Seeds) - simple and melodic
Paul Simonon - nuff said

Can't think of a third that influences me as such. Loads I admire across a range of genres (eg, the Metallica boys, Scott LaFaro, Robbie Shakespeare, Jamerson)

Edited by Clarky