Why become a member? ×

Which 3 Bassists Influence Your Bass Lines?

xilddx

[quote name='silddx' post='1018307' date='Nov 10 2010, 01:24 AM']I think mine are, in order of who spring to mind, when I'm writing a bass line on the spot are ..

[b]Scott Thunes

Paul Simonon

Geddy lee[/b]

So who are yours?[/quote]

[b]Ashley Hutchings

Dave Pegg

Rick Kemp[/b]

Can't work out if that lot makes me enigmatic or sad :)

John Taylor was my first and biggest influence.

John Deacon because i love his bass lines

Bruce Foxton. I really got in to his bass line when i had to learn a load of Jam covers for the tribute thing i did a few years ago. So much energy.

....and who ever played the bass line im learning at the time.

Ive never listened to Jaco, Wooten or many of the highly respected bass masters, especially the virtuosos. I find their sort of music just doesn't interest me in the slightest and in fact i find someone doing all that noodling very boring.
Guess ive lived a sheltered life.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1018393' date='Nov 10 2010, 09:22 AM']Ive never listened to Jaco, Wooten or many of the highly respected bass masters, especially the virtuosos. I find their sort of music just doesn't interest me in the slightest and in fact i find someone doing all that noodling very boring.
Guess ive lived a sheltered life.[/quote]

Know exactly what you mean, I feel I [b]should[/b] like them because people say how good they are, but just can't quite stay interested long enough to sit and listen to an entire tune.

I think it's cos they only play the verses and leave all the choruses out... :)

[quote name='icastle' post='1018407' date='Nov 10 2010, 09:33 AM']Know exactly what you mean, I feel I [b]should[/b] like them because people say how good they are, but just can't quite stay interested long enough to sit and listen to an entire tune.

I think it's cos they only play the verses and leave all the choruses out... :)[/quote]

Yeah, i sometimes feel im not a real bass player because i dont know even 50% of the names banded about on here.
The way some poepl go on about them make me feel liek i nee dot go and listen but liek you i just cant stay interested.

Maybe its because its not really relevant to my playing as im much more of a basic driving bass line/rock player and i hate being asked to play solo's etc.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1018430' date='Nov 10 2010, 09:51 AM']Yeah, i sometimes feel im not a real bass player because i dont know even 50% of the names banded about on here.
The way some poepl go on about them make me feel liek i nee dot go and listen but liek you i just cant stay interested.

Maybe its because its not really relevant to my playing as im much more of a basic driving bass line/rock player and i hate being asked to play solo's etc.[/quote]

LOL - I'm the same with films...
If something has picked up Academy Awards or worse still... [i][b]Oscars[/b][/i] then I just [b]know[/b] it's going to bore the arse off me :)

Edited by icastle

Probably whoever I'm listening to at the time but I don't consciously think of other bass players when I'm working out a new line. I tend to think in terms of chords, scales, and passing notes, and whether it sounds right/good with what the rest of the band are doing - especially the vocal melody and the drums.

I'm sure I'm influenced by the bassists I was hearing as a teenager in the 1960s. In fact I came off stage at the end of a gig a couple of years ago and a bassist I vaguely knew who was in the audience but who had never heard me play before came up to me and said 'I'm hearing Paul McCartney, Jack Bruce, and Jack Casady'.

I've got a standing bet on with a guitarist that, at every gig, I can somewhere slip in the main bass phrase from Green Onions or from Billie Jean whatever songs we play.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1018455' date='Nov 10 2010, 10:07 AM']I've got a standing bet on with a guitarist that, at every gig, I can somewhere slip in the main bass phrase from Green Onions or from Billie Jean whatever songs we play.[/quote]

Funny that, I also slip a bit of Billie in when i get bored. Normally if a guitar solo goes on for too long (when will they learn), its normally his cue to finish up.
The other one is groove is in the heart.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1018430' date='Nov 10 2010, 09:51 AM']Yeah, i sometimes feel im not a real bass player because i dont know even 50% of the names banded about on here.

Maybe its because its not really relevant to my playing as im much more of a basic driving bass line/rock player and i hate being asked to play solo's etc.[/quote]

I'm exactly the same, as I hobby player I'm only really interested in music that speaks to me rather than someone who makes music which may be technically brillant but leaves me cold.

Back on topic I would like to be influenced by Paul McCartney, Andy Rourke and perhaps a bit of Geddy Lee. However all my fingers can produce is Adam Clayton and Bil Wyman :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1018463' date='Nov 10 2010, 10:12 AM']Funny that, I also slip a bit of Billie in when i get bored. Normally if a guitar solo goes on for too long (when will they learn), its normally his cue to finish up.
The other one is groove is in the heart.[/quote]
Funny that, because I've also used Billie Jean to cue the drummer to end that solo now.

[quote name='Conan' post='1018564' date='Nov 10 2010, 11:08 AM']Tasty! :) Do you have an allergy to frets or something Owain? :)[/quote]
You know what? I hadn't even noticed that they're all fretless*. :lol: What can I say? I'm a sucker for mwaah.

* In their most well-known roles, anyway.

Edited by BottomEndian