Why become a member? ×

So... EC on 'Later'

warwickhunt

Glad it wasn't just me. I was hoping for some impressive stuff tonight from "old slowhand" but it was dire. The band looked tired, nervous and a little self-conscious.

MIA were mightily impressive. Haven't heard them before. The guesting rhythm section from The Specials, Sir Horace Gentleman and John Bradbury, were simply sublime. Tight as a gnat's chuff. Wonderful.

Horace is god!

Eric Clapton never disapoints,
he's allways a bore & a bit crap IMO. so at least he's consistent
But,
the stuff played by the guy on the white Jazz bass, the ska thing, made the show worth watching though.

Oh & I've never heard of Dave Bronze before...Should I have?

Bellowhead are ace arn't they?

Edit: oh was that the guy from The Specials?
bass legend...thats why I liked...ah fagedaboudit.....

Edited by witterth

Bellowhead were superb, as they always are. See them live if you can, and you wont regret it. EC's first number was probably the worst thing I have ever heard on there.

Why is it that I always have turn the volume up on the telly to nearly full blast for this programme? Then when I forget to instantly turn it down at the end I am deafened by the next thing to come on. What technical reason can they have for broadcasting such a ridiculously low sound level?

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1010126' date='Nov 2 2010, 11:34 PM']Not very often that I feel compelled to think 'wtf' but what was that first track all about!

I may not be a Blues fan but as a musician I thought I'd appreciate at least something about that track... Nope! :)[/quote]

Oh dear, Bronzy must have been bored out of his brains. I think it was after about 2 minures he decided to play a second note. I think I bought one of his old basses about 12 years ago. or he bought one of mine, can't remember which way round it was now. But yeah, what a weird uninspiring song. Prefered the Fats Waller track.

Got to agree with bobpalt about Bellowhead - go and see them live if you can (they are on tour for most of November) Eleven stunning musicians at the top of their respective games, and that music at full on rock concert volume makes for a truly visceral experience.

(Disclaimer for shameless pride:- my nephew plays fiddle with Bellowhead :) )

[quote name='Rich' post='1010339' date='Nov 3 2010, 08:14 AM']Bellowhead were on?
*rushes to iPlayer*[/quote]

+1

Edit: have now watched them on iPlayer - fab as ever. Didn't know they had a new album out. That's one [s]xmas[/s] yule prezzy for Mrs E sorted. :)

Edited by Earbrass

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1010126' date='Nov 2 2010, 10:34 PM']Not very often that I feel compelled to think 'wtf' but what was that first track all about!

I may not be a Blues fan but as a musician I thought I'd appreciate at least something about that track... Nope! :)[/quote]

Same here. Very disappointed.

I don't know much about MIA but i do remember them getting boo'ed at the O2 when they were supporting Prince. And rightly so IMO.
I thought the band were good and liked the song but someone needs some singing lessons.

I wonder why everyone hates Clapton today? He was better than most of the other stuff in this series. I didn’t think they looked any more bored than KOL! I guess its how old guys look when they're concentrating!

For my money Dave Bronze and Henry Spinetti are one of the great rhythm sections.

[quote name='bobpalt' post='1010181' date='Nov 2 2010, 11:16 PM']...Why is it that I always have turn the volume up on the telly to nearly full blast for this programme? Then when I forget to instantly turn it down at the end I am deafened by the next thing to come on. What technical reason can they have for broadcasting such a ridiculously low sound level?[/quote]

IMO it's that this show is put out with some dynamic range whereas most other shows are not.
That's the same reason adverts seem louder during films.

I didn't mind the first EC song. I watched the show on iplayer and pretty much fast forwarded through it all.

Performances that stand out for me on Later....

Richard Bona doing a solo bass piece. Went and bought a Bona CD only to find it full of songs with very little bass content.

Duffy singing Rockferry.

Seasick Steve.

[quote name='paul h' post='1010489' date='Nov 3 2010, 10:34 AM']I didn't mind the first EC song. I watched the show on iplayer and pretty much fast forwarded through it all.

Performances that stand out for me on Later....

Richard Bona doing a solo bass piece. Went and bought a Bona CD only to find it full of songs with very little bass content.

Duffy singing Rockferry.

Seasick Steve.[/quote]

I remember hearing Joanna Newsom on Later ... for the first time and was completely blown away.

I don't understand the "hate" for Later on here. It's the ONLY music programme on terrestrial TV and I think it does a great job at mixing well-knowns with unknowns and all genres of music. Personally, I'd drop the ... with Jools Holland, hook in Mark Radcliffe and Jo Whiley to go with Jools and put the show on all year round with each of the three hosting alternate months.

Edited by lanark

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1010480' date='Nov 3 2010, 10:27 AM']Not Clapton as such, just that boring one chord going through the motions song he did.[/quote]
..the one that was tonally off-the-wall just enough to render it unlistenable by some people?

Going through the motions...?

[quote name='lanark' post='1010498' date='Nov 3 2010, 10:41 AM']Personally, I'd drop the ... with Jools Holland, hook in Mark Radcliffe and Jo Whiley to go with Jools and put the show on all year round with each of the three hosting alternate months.[/quote]

Jo Whiley ?!?!? :) :P :lol:
Please no!! I couldn't stand her gushing love for EVERY act and fake enthusiasm that every song/band is the best she's ever heard.... :) :D

[quote name='lanark' post='1010498' date='Nov 3 2010, 10:41 AM']....I'd drop the ... with Jools Holland, hook in Mark Radcliffe and Jo Whiley to go with Jools....[/quote]
Nooooooooooooooooo!

Jools Holland did a great show about New Orleans music from NO about 20 years ago. They should do more of that. In its off season Later should go on the road. They should put out artist and genre feature shows. Several years ago the Hi, Stax and Muscle Shoals bands came over for a series of gigs at the Barbican. Those guys will never come back and Later missed them! Those gigs should have been filmed. Also the SITSOM tour of 2000 was missed by everyone!

Top Of The Pops was the BBC's singles show; Whistle Test was their album show and Later started as a great live music show. Unfortunately it has been turned into just another music industry promotional tool.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='oldslapper' post='1010496' date='Nov 3 2010, 10:40 AM']Just watched it.

I loved the Vaccines!

Brought me back to being 16 in 1976.....The Ramones live again, fab.[/quote]

+1, the standout act for me (the one time I went to see the Ramones they cancelled to play TOTP instead :) )

Bellowhead good, but [i]have[/i] to be seen live. Great bass (tuba?)

Off -topic, but did anyone see "Whites" on just before, and notice the bassist in the backing band had a Wal Po 1? Couldn't hear it mind