Why become a member? ×

So... EC on 'Later'

warwickhunt

[quote name='pete.young' post='1012677' date='Nov 4 2010, 10:30 PM']I think the punk band got the sh*t end of the stick - only one minute 20 of their excellent stuff in order to make way for a second turgid Clapton tune.[/quote]
"Only"? That's enough time for three Ramones songs! Punks these days just aren't up to it...

Every now and again I watch Later. I then stop watching it until I forget why I don't bother watching it.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1012700' date='Nov 4 2010, 10:48 PM']Beastie Boys (say what you like they are amazing live, and can do what they do with almost any instrumentation you happen to have available), The Skints, Hunting Bears (Leeds), any of the following: Sonic Youth, Pixies, Breeders.[/quote]

IIRC Sonic Youth were on later a couple of years ago.

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='1012788' date='Nov 5 2010, 12:10 AM']Bring back The Whistle Test!!!![/quote]

+1000! That was live music at it's best,warts and all.By the way,I think EC's opening track was a version of the old Canned Heat song 'On the road again'.I agree with all here,it sounded completely discordant and not up to his usual standard.I can't help but wonder if he realised it sounded that bad.

I take that back.It wasn't that bad on 2nd listening.In fact it must have been pretty difficult to sing that song and play it at the same time.No,I actually thought it was quite good,and no,it wasn't the Canned Heat song I thought it was.Just some of the lyrics sounded similar

Edited by squire5

+1 to watching every week, always enjoy the show, but I do agree the standouts seem to get less and less. I have plenty of cds bought on the basis of being impressed by a performance on Jools. I even used to keep some acts onto dvds but have not been tempted this time. I think this is directly proportional to the record company PR effect.

I would certainly welcome the unsigned British band spot.

Dave Bronze is clearly a competent bass player, but listening to Crossroads sounds rather like a pub band. Jools Hammond was the highlight!

Following my quip about Whistle Test I ended up catching most of later last night and find myself disagreeing with most of the comments here.

I thought Clapton's stuff was good - all of it, helped by the wonderful Henry Spinetti on sticks. You can't expect him to be doing the same stuff in the same way as he was 30 years ago! - who of us does that?

Bellowhead, on the otherhand, I found a bit irritating. IMO they could loose half their head count and still sound as good. Can't help but thing there's a lot of 'because we can' rather than 'because it sounds good'. And the singer is just irritating. I say this with some reluctance because I know one of them a bit (not bussomed pals or anything)

IMO the main problem with Later is Jules Holland - what a twat.

I'm on a minority of one here. (Maybe two?) I really liked the first Clapton song. For the first few bars I thought he had the capo on the wrong fret but once I got my ear adjusted I loved it.

At least with Jules running the show we have a real and competent musician. I do think it's easy to detect the bands he'd realy rather not have on the show.

Frank.

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='1014170' date='Nov 6 2010, 12:33 PM']IMO the main problem with Later is Jules Holland - what a twat.[/quote]

Totally see where you are coming from - he does a good interview & I used to love him on the Tube, but he needs to put the ego back in the box & keep away from the piano.

I'm sure he said he's putting his own band on next week - looks like the fast forward button will be busy again...

Cheers,

B.

[quote name='pete.young' post='1012677' date='Nov 4 2010, 11:30 PM']Very close - I think it's a Helicon, but you'd have to be a certifiable tuba wonk to know that.

I was very disappointed with both of EC's numbers - I'd expect someone with Clapton's financial clout to be able to hire a piano player who could play a decent stride solo for a number like this, but the pianist in his band was clearly not up to it and Jools (who definitely is) had obviously been told to toe the line.

I think the punk band got the sh*t end of the stick - only one minute 20 of their excellent stuff in order to make way for a second turgid Clapton tune.

So far this series I make that two really decent acts - Imelda Mae and Bellowhead.[/quote]

It looked like Chris Stainton on piano. Could be wrong, but if it was, that is a man with serious and respected track record.

Maybe he was also just bored out of his brains.

[quote name='leschirons' post='1015848' date='Nov 7 2010, 10:54 PM']....It looked like Chris Stainton on piano. Could be wrong, but if it was, that is a man with serious and respected track record. Maybe he was also just bored out of his brains....[/quote]
Yep that was Chris Stainton. Maybe he was just playing what Clapton wanted?

It's not rocket science! If you've been hired to go out and tour an album you're going to play what's been rehearsed, which will be what's on the album, which is what Clapton wrote!!

Why would he be bored? Over 40 years after he started playing he's going out on another major tour. I bet he's chuffed to bits, even if he isn't smiling.

[quote name='leschirons' post='1015848' date='Nov 7 2010, 10:54 PM']It looked like Chris Stainton on piano. Could be wrong, but if it was, that is a man with serious and respected track record.

Maybe he was also just bored out of his brains.[/quote]

Maybe he was pissed off having Jules Holland foisted upon him!!!

(have you all sensed that I don't like Jules Holland yet? Actually I quite like the music he does, it's just him that pisses me off)

I'll go against the general flow and say that although EC amd KOL were a bit dull at least it sort of washed over you. I found others on there like MIA and Bellowhead(ooh look at me I'm a weird and whacky front man) just so irritating I couldn't make it through a complete song. There is an argument that it's better to get some reaction than none at all but when that reaction is just skipping to the next act well...

[quote name='spinynorman' post='1015919' date='Nov 8 2010, 01:00 AM']There's something wrong on Travelling Alone, the bass and guitar are out of whack somewhere. It should sound like this ...

Pretty good version of Crossroads, compared to some he's done. And at least he's playing Gibsons.[/quote]

To me it sounded like EC was hitting the open top string, which was clashing a bit somewhere.
Song is in A, he was capoed on 2nd fret and playing in open G, which meant the dodgy open string was a 6th (F#)
which was interfering with the 7th feel of the song somewhat? And also the raised 6th (F) appearing in the riff
didn't help either? ( Cluster of F/F#/G's etc.) This is not apparent in the studio recording.
Or am I just talking bol*ocks ? (again...!!)

Nice Les Paul though!

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='1015936' date='Nov 8 2010, 01:28 AM']Maybe he was pissed off having Jules Holland foisted upon him!!!

(have you all sensed that I don't like Jules Holland yet? Actually I quite like the music he does, it's just him that pisses me off)[/quote]

I also wondered if Stainton was miffed with Jools butting in, although I suspect he's enough of a pro not to. But he sure looked miserable for some reason - not something I've noticed in all the times I've seen him play with Clapton. Actually, that goes for Dave Bronze too. Maybe they were all just having an off-day.

Jools himself doesn't bother me. I think it's good to have a "non-pop" music show fronted by a pro musician and the nature of Later will always mean variable acts. Wasn't Whistle test the same? Still, if they brought back whispering Bob I wouldn't be writing to the beeb to complain.

[quote name='casapete' post='1016077' date='Nov 8 2010, 10:01 AM']To me it sounded like EC was hitting the open top string, which was clashing a bit somewhere.
Song is in A, he was capoed on 2nd fret and playing in open G, which meant the dodgy open string was a 6th (F#)
which was interfering with the 7th feel of the song somewhat? And also the raised 6th (F) appearing in the riff
didn't help either? ( Cluster of F/F#/G's etc.) This is not apparent in the studio recording.
Or am I just talking bol*ocks ? (again...!!)

Nice Les Paul though![/quote]

Your explanation may well fit but it could be as simple as his capo knocking the tuning of his guitar all to c0ck... explaining the look on the various band members faces!