Why become a member? ×

Whats your opening number?

4-string-thing

Sometimes I wish I could get in a band that didn't have to reinvent the setlist at every bl**dy gig!

<rant>
Just because we've heard and played the songs a hundred times, putting them in a different order will not.
1. Make it more interesting.
b. Make more people dance.
It just makes it harder to keep my pad in order!
</rant>

Edited by TimR

On the odd occasion we do a covers set, it's the start of Babba O'reily, the guitarist does some loopy stuff to get the intro, then the big F C Bflat bit a few times round, hit the F one more time, hold it a while, guitarist reverses the loop, hold it a bit longer, quick count in by the drummer, into My Generation, seems to work well!

With funkier band 99.9% of the time we open with Magic Carpet Ride by Steppenwolf, but have found it's a bit of a waste as it works well in the 2nd set when the crowd have loosened up a little.

With the female fronted rock band it's been Hanging on the Telephone by Blondie for a the last few gigs at least.

Function/covers band: if we've not had a special request for an opener, we'll go by what the audient looks like.
Younger, older, ready to party, ready for bed... :)
All of the above? We'll play it by ear but will probably opt for safe but uptempo (for example, Blues Bros "Everybody" into James Brown "I Feel Good").

As we are a new band, we are still putting the setlist together, but the two hot favourites for opening numbers are Van Halen's Runnin' with the Devil (not inspired by the movie Little Nicky at all!) and Steve Stevens' (What were his parents thinking about?) Atomic Playboys.

Sadly, we lack the hair.

Varies ..as will the set, so no any one number is garaunteed to be in that set anyway.

We usually start with a mid tempo number that is quite sparse so we can use it as a sound-check.
That sets up the build as well.

Typical starters would be 'come together' or 'grounds for divorce'

Dep bands would have the same thinking; something to sound-check the band and get everyone new comfortable.