Why become a member? ×

72 Precision or Alleva-Coppolo Willie Weeks

Clarky

I have been musing recently about which of my two Ps I prefer: the '72 Precision or my Alleva-Coppolo Willie Weeks that I have had FS this weekend. Its one of the reasons I put up a thread about the long-term investment attractions of boutique basses vs Fenders. I am wondering if - in the pursuit of all things Fender - maybe I am selling the wrong one? Wondered what you guys think (I know the likes of WoT and Beedster will refuse to speak to me if I sold the Fender!)

The pros of each are as follows:

Fender 72P - its really light (not much more than 8lb), its a 'classic' instrument, there's lovely 'real' (not OTT) relicing on a beautiful sunburst body, its resonant, plays well, and I think its likely to be a very good long-term investment

Alleva WW - unique instrument, great provenance (played by WW himself on Clapton tour), superb materials (eg DN fretboard), beautifully made and better put together (vs Fender), broader range of tonal capabilities (passive and active with great preamp), plays even better than the Fender

Of course I could keep both, although it would mean (with my twisted way of thinking) probably storing one in its case as I like to concentrate on one bass at a time. Selling one would though release cash, allowing me to buy a different type of bass or simply pay some household bills

Gotta keep the 72 P Clarky. It`s sex on a stick and whilst the AV is a nice bass it will never, IMO, have the kudo`s of the P. If you sold it, I think you would regret it the moment it`s left your possesion. But at the end of the day, it`s down to you to decide, no man or woman can make that decision for ya.

And you can`t put one in storage and have it sitting in it`s case, in the dark, all alone and unloved. :)

Jez

[quote name='Clarky' post='940394' date='Aug 30 2010, 09:23 PM']The pros of each are as follows:

Fender 72P - its really light (not much more than 8lb), its a 'classic' instrument, there's lovely 'real' (not OTT) relicing on a beautiful sunburst body, its resonant, plays well, and I think its likely to be a very good long-term investment

Alleva WW - unique instrument, great provenance (played by WW himself on Clapton tour), superb materials (eg DN fretboard), beautifully made and better put together (vs Fender), broader range of tonal capabilities (passive and active with great preamp), plays even better than the Fender[/quote]

Only half the story, Clarky.

The cons of each are as follows:

Fender 72P - none. It's a beautiful example of an early 70's P, it's a better investment than anything you'll find in the FT, and one day I hope to buy it from you. :)

Alleva WW - provenance (in general) is good, but over-rated. For this bass, for example, Willie Weeks is not my favourite bassist, Eric Clapton is not my favourite guitarist, and anyway each time that bass changes hands the provenance effectively gets weaker.

IMHO, and if you really do have to sell something, sell the AC.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='940466' date='Aug 30 2010, 10:29 PM']Only half the story, Clarky.

The cons of each are as follows:

Fender 72P - none. It's a beautiful example of an early 70's P, it's a better investment than anything you'll find in the FT, and one day I hope to buy it from you. :)

Alleva WW - provenance (in general) is good, but over-rated. For this bass, for example, Willie Weeks is not my favourite bassist, Eric Clapton is not my favourite guitarist, and anyway each time that bass changes hands the provenance effectively gets weaker.

IMHO, and if you really do have to sell something, sell the AC.[/quote]

What he said.

C

[quote name='Platypus' post='940501' date='Aug 30 2010, 11:01 PM']Which one do you enjoy playing most?

The way I see it, that's the one to keep[/quote]

Yep - that gets my vote too.

I had a very nice '72 P but discovered the joys of Celinder ownership & simply thought it was an immeasurably better bass.

Don't regret my decision to swap for one moment.

Keep the better bass.

Nobody knows its a 72 P-bass when you play it.. sounds and plays just like any other half decent P-bass.

Depends if you want to play it or make a point the P-Bass is a mystical wonderful vintage year for basses...anymore than other years.

If you were going to sell either in the relatively short term, the AC might return more. Further down the line, someone will pay money for any old Fender.

Basses are for playing, IMV.

In response to the last three posts, therein lies my dichotomy as the AC is the better playing bass and has a broad range of usable tones that go beyond classic P. What it lacks is the 'aspiration factor' of a vintage Fender (and the investment attractions thereof) that most of the earlier replies allude to. Conclusion is probably to keep both!

It depends what your prime concern is really - whether you want an instrument to play, or an instrument as an investment. Your Fender is never going to lose money and as stated, your AC Is the better bass. If your AC inspires you more, you should keep hold of that and ditch the Fender. If you need the money, then the AC goes.

Which do you need more, the money... or a superior playing bass?

[quote name='chris_b' post='940741' date='Aug 31 2010, 10:30 AM']Hi Clarky, if it's just the dosh that you need, and this is your only course of action, you should put both basses up for sale and keep the one that doesn't sell.

Personally I’d sell the kids for medical experiments.[/quote]

+1000. You can pay big money for that kind of advice :)