Why become a member? ×

bass tone/feel and string choice!

CHRISDABASS

Evening all :)

i just wondered how many of you have found a brand/type of string that gives the feel and tone you want? and also how many of you have never really thought about just how much difference changing the brand, design, material (steel, nickel etc) can make?

Tonight, for the first time ever ive tried DR Low Rider (stainless) 45-105 on my Sadowsky NYC with interesting results!

They are IMO remarkable strings! they have amazing depth of tone and the feel is just awesome! they make everything seem easier to play, which is always a good thing :rolleyes:

for me its amazing to think that changing just one thing on your bass can make such a huge difference! i suppose this could work both ways depending on your tone goals etc :lol:

Im hoping they will last a while considering the amount i paid for them :lol:

let me know your thoughts :lol:

Cheers

Used DR strings for ages.

I liked the tension, lifespan and tone and they were the only strings I'd use.
I have loads of sets left to rotate..but since I have changed basses and the peg config is different, I am messing around with other strings....manily because I got a few free samples.

I am using La Bellas super steps atm

I'm really surprised how much the feel of strings is important - I often think it should just be about the sound, but (for me) its not. I also look out for different or new strings to try out..its a habit now.

Here are my favs - Thomastik flats or Pyramid Gold flats. Can't decide between them, and they are pretty different in both sound and feel. Both very very good if you want that "flatwound" sound. Just different.

DR Sunbeams (nickel round) are my current favs, and have been for a while now, also just got some R Cocco nickels and I think they are just as good, with a nice bright but warm sound and a smooth feel. I also think Thomastik Superalloys are very good, and if I'm skint Picato nickels will do the job for a lot less cash.

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='881379' date='Jun 29 2010, 09:21 PM']I use Elixirs on all my basses- I hate buggering about with strings so I just stick them on and leave them- the ones I have at the moment have been on about a year or so and still sound great. Fortunately I like the sound as well![/quote]

Me too :)

And they don't chew up the fretless.

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='881379' date='Jun 29 2010, 09:21 PM']I use Elixirs on all my basses- I hate buggering about with strings so I just stick them on and leave them- the ones I have at the moment have been on about a year or so and still sound great. Fortunately I like the sound as well![/quote]

Ditto, got some 1.5 year old Elixirs on which still sound new - I don;t sweat, so they last ages!! For me, feel is everything.

ped

String feel as well as tone is HUGE for me...if they sound good but harm my playing they are only half there.
It sounds so silly to some people but different companies have massive differences in their strings to me.
I've been through:

Rotosound > Elites > Rotosound > Ernie Ball > Warwick > D'addario

and stuck since...Pro Steels do it for me, the huge whonk of piano tone vibrating away makes for some delicious velvet tone for tapping ( a big part of my playing ) and work for everything else.

I'm gonna try Newtone soon tho...the move from stainless to nickel is gonna be odd, should be less squarky tho and more of a glassy feel I'd imagine I dunno.

And that's the 2nd thing,; feel. From one extreme to the other you get (in my mind)

Sand paper <------------------------------------->Polished Glass

and everything in between.
If you've only played on glassy strings and change to some that feel like sand paper, first of all your fingers will hurt and second will lag sliding from note to note as your calluses are too soft. At least, this is what happens to me.

SO yup, tone AND feel are a big part.
I currently play...nearer to sand paper than polished glass but not uber extreme.

As for gauge:

4-string = 45 - 65 - 80 - 110
6-string = 30 - 45 - 65 - 80 - 110 - 135

Standard tuning...why the 110 low-E? Like the feel of it and works well if drop-D is needed...which hardly is.

Edited by Kongo

An ardent DR user here! Love 'em and haven't found anything that comes anywhere close to them for tone and feel. The other amazing thing about them is the length of time they continue to deliver that lovely deep tone with zing; at least 2 or 3 times longer than anything else I've tried. Sure they retail for considerably more, but if you keep a look out, they can be found for a considerable reduction - I just got 2 sets of Lo-Riders ?40-125 for £20 each. Bargain!!

The Status basses are all strung on the Status Hotwire 30-90 (or 115 in the case of the 5-strings) sets for speed and flexibility. There's usually no loss of tone with such a powerful preamp, so the thinnest strings possible are a boon with the stability of the graphite neck.

Wooden neck'd basses I tend to run on 40-100 sets of either DR FatBeams or Elixirs (I think the Elixirs are actually 40-95 sets.) I love the tone of the DR FatBeams. As I've said on here many times, I don't think anyone makes a better string set. The compromise between sheer bass end shove & high end sparkle is just about perfect with these.

[quote name='Kongo' post='881488' date='Jun 29 2010, 11:27 PM']Standard tuning...why the 110 low-E? Like the feel of it and works well if drop-D is needed...which hardly is.[/quote]

Usedto be a great fan of the 110 E back in the 80s. Hated Rotosounds (too rough, didn't last & were really harsh & clanky to my ears), & the only alternative was Picato Nickelwounds 45-110 (might have been 55 though) - lovely feel, lasted well & sounded nice 'n' warm. That sold me on nickel. Switched to Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky's when I couldn't get Picato any more & stayed with them until about 4-5 years ago.

Hartke Mediums 45-105 are my current roundwounds of choice, triple packs off the 'bay for very reasonable money - handy if you're on a budget.

I've a set of Rotosound Pressurewounds on the fretless & they're great as well. Feel nice, just a bit of "tooth", sound great and last for ages (2 years & counting).

Pete.

I would have said string choice was important to me but then realised I haven't done anything with the strings on my bass since I bought it. They're D'addario, and assume they are medium/light gauge. They're alright, but there's something about them I don't like.

Different strings for different basses. You've got to find the right strings to suit the bass and the way you play it.

Currently using:
LaBella Hard Rocking Steels on my Gus G3s and Sei Flamboyant Fretless
Pedulla Nickels on my Pedulla Buzz and Gus G3 Fretless
Overwater Nickels on my Overwater Original Fretted and Fretless basse
TI Jazz Flats on my Lightwave Sabre A

[quote name='BigRedX' post='881887' date='Jun 30 2010, 01:23 PM']Different strings for different basses. You've got to find the right strings to suit the bass and the way you play it.[/quote]
+1

TI flats on the ACG
Status half-wounds on the SR5
DR Sunbeams on the OLP
D'Addario nickel rounds on the SUB
D'Addario Chromes (flats) on the Hondo

Like many above I worked through all sorts of strings before settling on Rotosound Stainless 30-90s - my preferred sound works when they've been played in a bit and the brightness has gone, then they last until I feel like putting some new ones on.

Nickel Lo-Riders are my strings of choice now, having been through a fair ol' few over the years, including all of DR's range.
They're bright enough without being harsh.
The seem to add a lovely warmth and a bit of grunt when you dig in.
Just lovely lovely strings and the really seem to make my basses and more importantly my playing sound better :)

SunBeams are real nice too, but a little more subtle, would be my second choice though.

SS Lo-Riders aren't too bad either.

As far as I'm concerned all DR strings are worth the extra cash, they last at least 2 or 3 times as long for me compared to common or garden varieties...

My 2p :rolleyes:

Eude

I'm 6 months in with DR Black Beauties on the Precision. They last a fair while, feel lower tension than most, are smoother on the old digits and sound nice and beefy. Plus black strings look cool.
I was a Rotosound RS66 user before that and had no complaints apart from they're a bit rough and they lose the 'zing' fairly quickly.
I have tried Ernie Balls and D'Addario rounds too but didn't like them at all. I also tried flats and they feel very nice but don't go at all with how and what I play.
I actually miss the old cheese graters and I think I will probably go back to Rotosounds next set up. I do miss the trebly clang and zing of a fresh set of Roto's. Fingertips and regular string swaps are a small price to pay.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='881887' date='Jun 30 2010, 01:23 PM']Different strings for different basses. You've got to find the right strings to suit the bass and the way you play it.[/quote]
Another +1 here;

DR Fatbeams on the Vigier & Squier
DR Sunbeams on the Jazz
Elixirs on the Warwick Infinity
Rotosounds (bleugh) on the Warwick Streamer LX6. I'll switch back to Warwick Yellow Labels next time around
Status Hotwires on the Streamline
I can't remember what's on the Yamaha Attitude at the moment. Likely to end up with Sunbeams or another DR type on it.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='881866' date='Jun 30 2010, 01:04 PM']Hartke Mediums 45-105 are my current roundwounds of choice, triple packs off the 'bay for very reasonable money - handy if you're on a budget.[/quote]

+1 for those Hartke strings - very bright for nickels, feel nice and seem to perform way above their price point.

I used to hate flats until I tried some TI Jazz flats - I'm converted!

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='881866' date='Jun 30 2010, 01:04 PM']Usedto be a great fan of the 110 E back in the 80s. Hated Rotosounds (too rough, didn't last & were really harsh & clanky to my ears), & the only alternative was Picato Nickelwounds 45-110 (might have been 55 though) - lovely feel, lasted well & sounded nice 'n' warm. That sold me on nickel. Switched to Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky's when I couldn't get Picato any more & stayed with them until about 4-5 years ago.

Hartke Mediums 45-105 are my current roundwounds of choice, triple packs off the 'bay for very reasonable money - handy if you're on a budget.

I've a set of Rotosound Pressurewounds on the fretless & they're great as well. Feel nice, just a bit of "tooth", sound great and last for ages (2 years & counting).

Pete.[/quote]

Yep, Rotosound are here on my scale: [Sandpaper]<---(Rotosound)---------------------->[Polished Glass]
Warwick Red label are the MOST sandpaper-ish strings I've EVER played...
My friend startin using Roto's on his guitar "I cant tell the difference from D'addario" he said...Last week I stated his strings sounded dead already and he agreed. "Must have played more than I remember" he says...He restrung it next day and calls me "Yeah I see what you mean about Roto's...I jus put em on and there already dead, not much improved from the ones I took off".

Case closed...

[quote name='Kongo' post='882608' date='Jul 1 2010, 12:08 AM']Yep, Rotosound are here on my scale: [Sandpaper]<---(Rotosound)---------------------->[Polished Glass]
Warwick Red label are the MOST sandpaper-ish strings I've EVER played...
My friend startin using Roto's on his guitar "I cant tell the difference from D'addario" he said...Last week I stated his strings sounded dead already and he agreed. "Must have played more than I remember" he says...He restrung it next day and calls me "Yeah I see what you mean about Roto's...I jus put em on and there already dead, not much improved from the ones I took off".

Case closed...[/quote]
I`ve tried many different brands, and have established through this that I`m a Rotosound RS66 user, heavy gauge 50 - 100. Just tried a set of regular gauge Rotos 45 - 105, as none of my local music shops stock the heavies, and really can`t get on with them - so its back to stringsdirect/heavies for me!