Why become a member? ×

What are the top 5 (or 10) basses you've owned?

OutToPlayJazz

Well I have some others but these four are the cream of the crop, I'll just have to work on number 5.

[b]ESP 400 Series Jazz[/b]. My best buddy for almost 20 years. The Sadowsky came and went, the ESP stays for life. Nuff said.

+

[b]Bacchus Woodline P Classic[/b]. More balls than Wimbledon.

[b]Bacchus Standard 5[/b]. This thing has the tone, you know what I'm talking about.

[b]Godlyke Disciple[/b]. Spent a bit of time on this just tweaking the setup and rolling the neck edges and it really is a superb bass. Sold the Stingray as a result.

Edited by Doctor J

[quote name='Doctor J' post='855126' date='Jun 2 2010, 05:28 PM'][b]Godlyke Disciple[/b]. Spent a bit of time on this just tweaking the setup and rolling the neck edges and it really is a superb bass. Sold the Stingray as a result.

[/quote]

Looks great in that finish and with the Barts too. I'll bet it sounds sweet as well.

Was just thinking back on my Disciple 5 fretted and Deity 4 fretless - both terrific basses - the Deity would have made my top ten if I hadnt been such an unworthy owner (ie my fretless playing sucks)

Mine would be:

1. 2004 Stingray - still own this one and my main gigging bass.

2. Rickenbacker 4003 - another one I still have, and a definite keeper

3. Warwick Corvette $$ - sold it to Budget Bassist and have missed it ever since. Very versatile and an incredibly nice neck.

4. Shuker Singlecut - another keeper. Really well made, looks great and sounds great.

5. Ibanez ATK405 - one of the cheaper basses I've owned but incredibly well spec'd for the price. I sold it as I had no need for a five string. Very close to the Stingray tone for a fraction of the price.

Edited by simon1964

Gah, its like being asked to choose between your children...

I have 8 basses but I bought them for different reasons. If I had to save two, it would be the natural Spector and the Shuker...and the Pentabuzz...OK if I had to save three it would be the Pentabuzz, the Shuker and the Spector. Plus the Alembic because it has sentimental value...In the event of an earthquake or flood I would save four basses...being 1. the Shuker, 2. Pentabuzz, 3. Spector and 4. Alembic...plus 5. 78 Stingray because its too good to leave behind. And the Celinders because they're good too...and the headless Shukerberger guitar...oh I give up.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='855101' date='Jun 2 2010, 05:05 PM']Those JD Thumbs are cool, got any pictures?[/quote]

Indeed I have.

The Thumb twins (I prefer the one-piece bridge of the JD to the two-piece of the later Thumbs):

The Tsai 5:

And the Mazeti fretless 5:

God, how can I answer this..... I have so many GREAT basses.... :rolleyes:

OK, here's a try at ten only.... I couldn't manage 5!

1. Spector NS2 pre-Kramer
2. Spector NS2 (Kramer....white or black one)
3. Wal Mk1 - any of them - Geddy Lee, Wenge or fretless
4. Peavey 'Rudy Sarzo'
5. Spector Euro - any of them
6. Spector Euro LX - any of them
7. Peavey 'Randy Jackson'
8. Fender Jazz Bass Special
9. Fender 'Geddy Lee' Jazz
10. Schecter Model-T

Bah....It's like choosing a favourite child.... :)

Edited by cetera

in no particular order and all still owned:
'79 MusicMan Stingray (natural)
'63 Precision (lake placid blue)
'89 G&L Asat Bass (cherry burst)
'08 Sandberg California JM4 Deluxe (black)
ones that got away:
'74 Precision fretless with extra Jazz pup (mocha brown)
'83 Jazz (sunburst)
'64 Epiphone EB0
'70s Ibanez Rickky 4001 copy - cool as f##k; but not great to play!

Hi All

1. OLP MM Copy - what a cracker - a steal on Ebay and been giged 30+ times with no issues
2. MIJ 62 Reissue Fender Jazz - Bartolinis added - great bass
3. Washburn MB6 - was great fun trying to learn to play the thing!
4. Squier Classic Vibe P-Bass (just in the process of being sold to a fellow BC'er
5. Westone Thunder 1-A - first ever proper bass, bought with my Dad's redundancy money in the 80's

Like others, I have owned loads of basses, and have just realised from reading my own list, that none of the expensive basses i've had have made the list.

Strange

Cheers

Graeme

In no particular order, the best 5 basses I've ever owned:

Kinal MK-5

1978 Fender Precision

Overwater Progress 3 Deluxe 5

1985 Yamaha BB 3000S

Musicman Stingray.

Honourable mentions to an Ibanez K5, my current MIJ Squier Precision, and two Laklands, a DJ4 and a JO4, brilliant basses one and all.

Wish I still had every one of them.

Despite playing for nigh on 23 years, I've never had the funds to really indulge the GAS, so I think my complete list of Basses Owned will fit in a list of Ten. But in order of Favourites (and year bought)...

1) 2010 Clement #164 4 string Fretted - Simply the easiest bass I've ever played, just wants it - all the time!!
2) 2009 Clement #177 5 string Fretted - Funk Monster Extreme, some of the best burpy noises I've got out of a bass

(Thats all I own at the moment)

3) 2007 Warwick $$ Ovangkol Body 4 string - Jack of all trades, but never really got on with it,
4) 2004 Washburn T24 Neck thru - With Bart Preamp, sounded nice, played nice, but HEAVY (gifted to my stepson)
5) 1988 Aria Pro II Magna 4 sting active - This was a decent bass, sold a LONG time ago to fund
6) 1990 Aria Pro II Magna 5 String Passive - Which I had for YEARS - Crap B, but had no money to get anything better
7) 2000 Gibson/Tobias 6 string - Horribly average bass.
8) 1987 Encore P Bass Copy - 1st Bass, and even in my inexperience back then I knew it was nasty - Sold within 2 months

Good thread, enjoyed reading through it. This got me really thinking and going back a few years.

So here is mine based on what worked best for me and was most playable.

1. Overwater J Series 5
2. Fender Roscoe Beck V
3. Overwater Progress III Deluxe 5
4. 1998 MusicMan Stingray
5. Fender USA 1996 Standard Precision
6. Fender MIJ 65? Reissue Jazz
7. Squier Deluxe Active Jazz V
8. Warwick Streamer Pro-M 5
8. Ibanez ATK 300
9. Squier Silver Series Jazz Bass
10. Yamaha RBX260

So far in my time of playing bass

1. Fender Jazz 24, which i sold but my favourite bass so far
2. Squeir precision bass special
3. Ibanez btb 755 sold this as i didnt like the B string but it had a great sound

I cant reach 5 yet. Recieving a HW1 jazz bass soon and hoping thats a good one.

• 11 months later...

Warwick Thumb NT 5 string 1990 - simply the best/favourite bass I've ever owned. still in love with it after 16 years.
[attachment=79140:mike.jpg]
Warwick Thumb NT 4 string de-fretted 1988 - still have
[attachment=79142:mik21.jpg]
Fender Precision 1959 - sadly dont have anymore
[attachment=79143:MY59.JPG]
Fender Precision 1964 - refin - still have
[attachment=79145:1963Pbass.jpg]
also owned a Rickenbacker 4001 mid 70s model - wore the fretboard out on that with roundwounds!!
and an ivory, rosewood necjkStingray around 1996 - that sat under the bed once I got the Thumb!!

had many others but, these are the only memorable ones.

1st would be my current Thunderbird.

I've had about 70 others so let me think:

My sunburst '51 reissue Precision. the only bass I've ever hated having to sell but I couldn't live with the lack of contouring

Lava Pearl SR5. I have no idea why I sold that one.

Ibanez SR1016. Owned by a forum member last time I checked. I'd buy it back if I had the cash. lovely looking and playing bass

That's about it. I haven't had my Fernandes fretless long enough to decide if it should go on this list and my Ibanez Blazer isn't here yet

Top basses that I`ve had

1. US Fender Precision - white/tort/rosew - still got it, aint goin nowhere
2. US Fender Precision - sunburst/tort/rosew - still got it, aint goin nowhere
3. MIJ 51 Reissue Precision - loved that bass, but sound wasn`t "me"
4. MIM Classic 70s Fender Jazz - great bass, but sound wasn`t "me"
5. Gibson Les Paul Bass - great bass, traded it for a guitar
6. Yamaha BB1100s - my first "proper" bass, but traded for a guitar years ago
7. MIM Fender Precision - white/blk/rosew - bought when I joined my last band, some good gigs with that bass
8. MIJ Fender Aerodyne Jazz - blk - fantastic bass
9. MIM Classic 50s Precision - loved that bass, but utlimately, the neck was just a bit too big
10. Epiphone TBird - what colour do you call it, wood colour? Bought to "look rock" and sold because of neck-dive!

Had many others of course, but these are the ones that I feel should be mentioned.

Edited by Lozz196

I'm up to something like 40, but the top 5 would probably be:

1) 1972 Rickenbacker 4001 Fireglo - I've yet to play anything that touches it.
2) Custom-built Alembic Triple Omega - sadly had to sell due to back problems. Awesome.
3) 1972 Rickenbacker 4001 Azure
4) Sei Flamboyant 5 headed - sadly sold recently to help pay for the Azure.
5) Probably either my old Pedulla MVP 4 (p/x-d ages ago for a Wal Custom; big mistake as it turned out I much preferred the Pedulla) or Rickenbacker 4003s8 (a beast!), sold to help pay for the Alembic above.

I still miss my buckeye Sei Flamboyant 4 headed too, although it wasn't as successful as the above....

Edited by 4000

I can't separate the top 4 I'm afraid! All of them are great but in different ways. Here is my list of ten, which actually includes everything I have owned/possessed.

1. Fender Precision 1978
1. Vigier Arpege V string (series 4)
1. Vigier Excess II
1. Sadowsky Metro MV4
5. My current double bass
6. Gibson EB3 1974
7. Westfield Precision bass
8. Squier Affinity Jazz
9. The double bass held together by a mixture of nails, superglue and formica.
10. The double bass that replaced number 9.