Why become a member? ×

What are the top 5 (or 10) basses you've owned?

OutToPlayJazz

Gareth has a nice thread going on about settling with your favourite gear, so I wondered what people's top five basses were from what they've owned? Mine are as follows...

1. Status S2 (X3) (For me, the ultimate all rounder - Great sound, great playability & ergonomics, peerless build quality.)

2. Status Streamline (Ridiculously small & light with massive attitude plus all of the above.)

3. Fender Jazz (particularly Road Worn & 50th Anniversary. You just can't beat that classic burp!)

4. Warwick Corvette $$ (Massive punch/clarity and stupidly sold!)

5. Yamaha TRB-6 II (Hugely playable 6 with great sound & massive value.)

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

hard to say, but here are my personal keepers:

1. lakland joe osborn 5-string
2. fender ´73 precision
3. fender ´76 precision
4. musicman stingray ´76
5. sadowsky metro uv70 5-string
6. sadowsky metro pj5
7. status s2 4-string
8. fender ´75 jazz-bass
9. fender deluxe jazz bass (2001)
10. stingray mm50 (with a status graphite neck)

Edited by Sandmann

I currently own 2 of them for sure and I am keeping them:

1 Fender Precision,USA,1983,black/maple
2 Fender jazz,Japan,1994.,sunburst/rosewood

as for the other three,as far I remember,what I liked the best (and regret for sellin...)

3 Clover Apeiron H5, ( I even had artist endorsement from them,and I dropped it as a stupid f...)
4 Lakland DJ 4 strings ( awesome construction and sound,but I didnt gave that bass a fair chance to FEEL it perhaps in week or two...)
5 MMan Sterling 4 strings ( that thing sounded better than any StingRay but at the time I prefered Ray )

1. '62 P Bass - First bass I 've owned (got her in '75), travelled the world with me and still my favourite
2. '79 'Ray - A lightweight 70's 'Ray and very resonant. Got her new in '80 and also came on many a trip
3. Warwick Thumb NT - with Ebony 'board - this is just a great bass
4. 4001 Chris Squire - the one I got from Stacker. Great bass (Squire got me into bass)
5. Alembic MK Sig - the only one of my favourites that I no longer have - wistful sighs

The one that got away:

Edited by alanbass1

1. My 72 Precision (great sounds, very light, immensely playable)
2. My old Shuker JJ Burnel (improved classic Precision, now owned by MarkyL)
3. My Nash JB-63 (and the old CAR one now owned by Stacker; lovely worn in feel and a Precision lovers neck)
4. Alembic Spoiler (amazing build quality and playability)

Not sure about 5. I have emotional attachment to Sid, my 70RI P bass, but there are better basses out there (eg, the 2009 Am Std Precisions I owned and traded on)

Some great threads/polls ecently OTPJ - cheers!

1. Gibson Ripper - heavily modified in the early '80s
2. Alembic Series II custom small standard
3. Status Series II (1986)
4. Fodera Imperial MG5 (no longer with me)
5. Alleva Coppolo LG4 sonic blue
6. Celinder Vintage Precision
7. Alleva Coppolo LG4 3TS
8. Alembic SC buckeye burl
9. Sei Flaboyant 5 headless (no longer with me)
10. Fender Jazz Masterbuilt fretless (no longer with me)

Of course, the order of the above can change on a whim!

Pictures of all around on basschat here and there.

[quote name='alanbass1' post='852645' date='May 31 2010, 02:38 PM']1. '62 P Bass - First bass I 've owned (got her in '75), travelled the world with me and still my favourite
2. '79 'Ray - A lightweight 70's 'Ray and very resonant. Got her new in '80 and also came on many a trip
3. Warwick Thumb NT - with Ebony 'board - this is just a great bass
4. 4001 Chris Squire - the one I got from Stacker. Great bass (Squire got me into bass)
5. Alembic MK Sig - the only one of my favourites that I no longer have - wistful sighs

[/quote]

so here's whats happened to jamerson' Funk Machine!!!!!

:) that's a great looking one BTW

Sei Jazz5 with RW...... very nice cultured sound,I think..
Sei Jazz5 with Maple.... supports a band sound really well, and snaps a solo right through a mix...IMV
both good players, IMO
Sei Flam5..really easy to hear this in any mix,
MM Stingray 2 band... great player and very versatile.

The rest I was happy to sell...

This list includes in no particular order currenly owned, and 2 which were stolen from me

1. Paul Reed Smith BASS 4 - The real one from 1989, bolt on neck Alder / Maple it's a P-Bass killer that turns into a reggae machine, it was modified with an Alembic pre-am / eq, but I still have the original kit in case I wish to return it to factory specs. (Now I have retired this bass together with the PRS 5 into storage to preserve for posterity as I don't want to wear them out)
2. 1982 Fender Squier Jazz JV Series - Stolen in 1993.
3. 1991 ESP Jazz with Bartolini - Stolen in 1993 together with the Squier JV
4. EBMM MusicMan 25th Anniversary, the Rolls Royce of basses.
5. EBMM Bongo 5HH - because it's sh|t hot
6. Fender CIJ 51 reissue Precision Bass - best thing I've tried in years - all original except for pots and wiring, no need to change the pickup, as it's pukka just as.
7. Squier Classic Vibe 50's Precision - all modifiied under the hood - pickup, wiring and pots. Best, cheapest and lightest bass I've ever owned. Thank God for basswood.
8. Squier Classic Vibe 60's Jazz - moo moo - as above all modified under the hood.
9. Squier Classic Vibe 60's Precision - Fiesta Red - as above all modified under the hood.
10. Stingray 5 - Now featuring a Seymour Duncan AlNiCo 5 motherbucker! :)

I've owned only a few gems and a load of cheapskate tat, but my top 5 is as follows:

1. Gibson G-3 (never being sold, ever)
2. G&L Tribute L-2000 (despite a difficult start I'm really digging this one now and I can't see the point in getting a USA model)
3. Epiphone Les Paul (Not So) Standard (so much work gone in - EMGed to death, selector switch added)
4. Traben Chaos Attack (nice enough bass, light, well made, good sound, recorded with it, but ultimately didn't have that special attachment to it)
5. Fecker Imprecision (cobbled together Squier, Fender, Seymour Duncan, Badass - notable for having the lowest non buzzing action I ever achieved on a bass)

I think I need to play catch-up - I've never owned 10 basses! :rolleyes:

My top 5 would be equally erroneous, I suspect. I will say that my Lakland DJ4 has been simply stunning, from having played a few jazzes, and I'm hoping I'll look back on it as one of better bass purchases :)

1) My 1989 Kubicki Ex-Factor, #1659. I also used to have #1777, but I have to say I prefer this one by a small margin, so I won't include both (but I could). Incredible playability, great looks, fantastic technology, brilliant tone. The beginning and end of fretted basses for me.

2) My Alembic Epic fretless: quite frankly, this bass is ridiculously good. The most incredible wenge top I have ever seen, bolstered by a "no corners cut" design ethic. It just sings like no other bass, and I can't seem to put it down these days. Even the Kubicki can go a few days without a play with this baby around!

3) my Status Stealth 6 String: This was my first 6 string, and was an absolutely amazing bass. I sold it, but if I could get it back I would and I will definitely own a Status bass again at some point!

4) My 1999 Warwick Thumb BO: Got this for a steal in absolutely mint condition. It played well, it sounded amazing and it was my go to bass for nearly a year. I said I'd never let it go, but then I never thought I'd have the chance to trade it for a Kubicki either!

5) I wasn't sure if I should include this or my old Status Matrix bass, but it has to be this, simply because I will never forget how blown away I felt when I first played it. The sound was just beyond good and it played well too. In (another) moment of madness, I let it go pretty cheap.

6) And I really have to include this too, my Musicman Sabre "special", simply because it is so gorgeous I could look at it all day. And with a SD Musicman replacement tone circuit and pickup, it sounds beautiful. Fat but with a great burpy definition. Lovely bubinga body, 1980 Sabre neck, gold schaller tuners, ebony control knobs, brass hardware, Thuja burl top, African Kingwood fretboard...

Edited by Chris2112

I too would like to add my approval of a great thread OTPJ;

So in BurritoBassville no.1 in the charts would have to be my 1978 mocha brown Fender Precision. Not a heavy beast as people may assume when they hear phrases like 1978 and Fender in the same sentence. Came with all the original case candy, original receipt, one previous owner etc etc. I like the brown as it reminds me of The Band for some reason (the album cover not any instruments they played. Also it was originally bought in Hampshire which is where my Dad's family were from & made the year I started school. What's not to like?

Secondly we have a wild card choice for me. Stepping outside my usual Fender Precision trademark, I always liked Rickenbackers. Last year's life insurance payout following my (successful) cancer battle was mostly spent on sensible (boring!) things but this was actively encouraged by my wife. I wanted mapleglo as it reminds me of the rockier parts of my tastes i.e. Tom Petty, Lynyrd Skynyrd and even ex-Byrd Chris Hillman was sporting one for a while in the early 90s. Anyhow,

I couldn't type this thread without mentioning my original which is starting to resemble Trigger's broom. I swear I'm remodelling this around the original neckplate! It started out as a 57RI MIJ Fender Precision. It's a 1989 model. I changed the scratchplate back in the early / mid 90s and the ashtrays were added around 1998 - back when the internet was a little more rare and I had to send a cheque through the post to the US to get them.... Ask yer Mum, kids! Since then the pickup was changed to a Seymour Duncan SPB-1 and more dramatically the neck was recently switched. Original body though & I can account for every dent!

Next up is the first bass that is *probably* not very good. When I met my wife in 1994 it was agreed that I could get an upright. This was never going to happen as we were skint and our ticket out of here relied on my rock 'n' roll stardom... which sadly wasn't to be. Fast forward to last year and I came to a deal with my friend who runs the local music shop where I traded two teles (from a brief trip over to the darkside) for this double bass. I think it sounds great and it certainly looks the part. I'm sure most upright owners have a much better investment but this for me was the end of a dream ambition & I love it

Finally, being Mr. Retro himself I always wanted a 51RI bass - since before I knew what they were or what they were called! I actually ordered one a few years ago and in the end I had to cancel the order as the supplier couldn't get one. This one I wanted to give it a 53 vibe with the white scratchplate and I also struck lucky with a Seymour Duncan Antiquity pickup that I found on EBay. Stock, this was stunning but the Antiquity really raised it's game. At the risk of typing the stupidest thing I've ever typed on Basschat, it's my summer bass. I played it once at an outdoor festival and it's just bright and, well, right for that atmosphere.

I've sold tonnes of gear on over the years but all 5 of these are currently in my possession still. I don't think I've ever sold a bass on that I really regretted. My 1999 CIJ 75RI Jazz and my Jack Cassady came close to being missed but I know hand on heart if I still had them I wouldn't be playing them enough.

1. Yamaha BB2024x - perfect in every way for a "4"
2. Spector NS-5 w/ U-Retro and EMG P/J pickups - like a Lamborghini, YFKI, Bra :-)
3. Lakland Skyline "AC" DJ with CS pickups - my favourite Jazz ever, real grinding growl
(?) incoming Yamaha BB2025x - if it's as good as the "4" it'll be #1

That's it! I've had loads of really great basses but these ones are really special.

Lets Play...

97 USA Fender Jazz with EMG upgrade
Ibanez SRX 705
Warwick Streamer Std
Ibanez Musician
Washburn XB126

All different in many ways......but its the Jazz earning the pennies at the min... :)

I would say my top 5 are,

1. ESP 400 Series Jazz with Bartolini pickups from 1989. This bass taught me to play and has done hundreds of gigs, been on TV, radio, front covers of magazines and knows me better than I know myself.

2. Fender MIA Precision 1977. One of the first expensive basses I bought. Ended up doing a lot of gigs with this and recording an album. Sadly sold around 10 years ago.

3. Ernie Ball Stingray 2EQ 2008. Bought this from Tom on here and its a cracking bass. I have owned 2 Stingrays previously to this which were both 3EQ and I was never quite happy with them despite loving them. This one is just perfect. Very light and sounds incredible.

4. Warwick Corvette Standard 2009 - I always wanted a Warwick but never really had any experience of them. After listening to a lot of Stuart Zender, I decided to take the plunge and to be honest, I am blown away by this bass. Its one of the last German made Corvettes and sound is unreal. OK, its a £600 bass but for that sort of money, it kicks butt and why its in my top 5.

5. Squire VMJ Fretless. For the money, it punches way above its weight. Its sounds great, plays great and is a superb fretless. It really can't be faulted.

1/ Stingray 5 - this is the lightest SR5 I've owned. still with me

2/ white sparkle Sterling - best of the Sterlings I had

3 + 4/ Bolin NS5 and Valenti No.042. both fantastic and both back with their original owners I believe.

5/ G&L Asat semi hollow - probably the best G&L I've owned

6/G&L SB-2
7/Spector NS5 CRFM (now with crazykiwi)
8/ black Pre EB Stingray
9/Warwick streamer Stage 1
10/MM Bongo 5HH (still with me)

1 and 2 are the Warwick twins - a Warwick JD Thumb 4-string fretted, from 1987, with a beautiful slim neck, and a Thumb from 2000 which I had defretted and reprofiled so the baseball bat neck was reduced to the same dimensions as the JD.

3 is the Antoniotsai 5-string. I've played a lot of 5-strings and this was the one with the best neck so far, until I played mcgraham's W&T. It's my main gigging bass.

4 is the Mazeti 5-string fretless that I got from Wooks a little while back. I still haven't satisfied my 5-string fretless quest though.

5 is one I no longer have - my 70s Precision went in order to finance the first Warwick. While I don't regret that, I was fond of that Fender - tatty but the second-best P I've played.