Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

5 hours ago, Bluewine said:

We pulled it off. The dep guitarist did a  fine job he was super nice guy.

A few pics. Not the best but any pic is better than no pic. I enjoy looking at the band the pics everyone posts.

These are just load in pics.

Blue

20230817_201814.jpg

20230817_173633.jpg

20230817_173600.jpg

20230817_200607.jpg

20230817_200458.jpg

20230817_173549.jpg

Nice one Daryl, good to hear it went well plus its sunny out there in the wild west. 👍

Dave

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last night my blues rock trio Toredown played at the Black Bear Harley Davidson dealership in Newmarket.  Fabulous place, the largest in Europe apparently, huge swanky showroom filled with bikes and merch.  Lots of chrome.  Very nicely done.  Anyhoo, we set up under the huge front canopy over the entrance.  The evening was one of their music nights, free to turn up with a BBQ laid on.  Great place to play, load in/out couldn't have been easier.  Weather ws amazing, warm with the setting sun in front of us.  We played well, sounded good but the crowd - around 40 or 50 I suppose - didn't ever seem to get into it.  Must be the first gig we have played where we didn't play an encore.  I felt a little bit down as a result until the manager came out, told us how good we were and he'd like us to play at their anniversary event next summer, expecting around 1000 punters.  Strange but good! 

A rare outing for my Epiphone Classic Pro Thunderbird which was growling away nicely - I avoid using it in pubs as I usually hit something with the headstock. 

Here are a couple of videos - FB I am afraid - a couple of Lonnie Mack songs

Cincinnati jail.

https://fb.watch/mv0pWb14I_/

Riding the Blinds

https://fb.watch/mv0eja7X2t/

Edited by Paul S
wrong link
  • Like 14

9 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Last night my blues rock trio Toredown played at the Black Bear Harley Davidson dealership in Newmarket.  Fabulous place, the largest in Europe apparently, huge swanky showroom filled with bikes and merch.  Lots of chrome.  Very nicely done.  Anyhoo, we set up under the huge front canopy over the entrance.  The evening was one of their music nights, free to turn up with a BBQ laid on.  Great place to play, load in/out couldn't have been easier.  Weather ws amazing, warm with the setting sun in front of us.  We played well, sounded good but the crowd - around 40 or 50 I suppose - didn't ever seem to get into it.  Must be the first gig we have played where we didn't play an encore.  I felt a little bit down as a result until the manager came out, told us how good we were and he'd like us to play at their anniversary event next summer, expecting around 1000 punters.  Strange but good! 

A rare outing for my Epiphone Classic Pro Thunderbird which was growling away nicely - I avoid using it in pubs as I usually hit something with the headstock. 

Cincinnati jail.

Riding the Blinds

Sounds like the times we've played beer festivals - far and away the main focus of the attendees is beer, we're background music to most.  Some people stuck around and listened, but most were just going about their beery business.  That's OK, we knew it would be that way.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Cincinnati jail.

Riding the Blinds

Nice result and great sound, loving the pick played Tbird 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, neepheid said:

Sounds like the times we've played beer festivals - far and away the main focus of the attendees is beer, we're background music to most.  Some people stuck around and listened, but most were just going about their beery business.  That's OK, we knew it would be that way.

Yep it doesn't worry me i can just enjoy playing with my mates but our singer is the one that banters with the audience and makes the connection and she can get despondent. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Nice one Daryl, good to hear it went well plus its sunny out there in the wild west. 👍

Dave

Thanks Dave, 

We have a festival in Waterford on Saturday.  It's a road trip for us and we rented a big van so we can travel together. 

It hasn't been easy, however it's been a fun summer 

Daryl

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jo.gwillim said:

Yep it doesn't worry me i can just enjoy playing with my mates but our singer is the one that banters with the audience and makes the connection and she can get despondent. 

I love playing my bass especially when I'm having a good night. However for me, there's nothing like playing and looking out at a sea of people dancing and having a great time.  That's when I feel like I'm contributing to society. 

Blue

• Like 14

4 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

I love playing my bass especially when I'm having a good night. However for me, there's nothing like playing and looking out at a sea of people dancing and having a great time.  That's when I feel like I'm contributing to society. 

Blue

That’s our job. Great feeling isn’t it !

• Like 4

I read the stuff above about contributing to society.  I think the Jam Night I go to does that.  Bands and punters all mixed in together having a laugh, a sing, a few drinks a laugh and maybe a dance.  The format makes it so easy to do, because if you aren’t playing then you are one of the punters.  Everyone seems to have a smile on their face - a proper “feel-good” night.  This is us playing basket case.

• Like 14

On 18/08/2023 at 12:04, Jo.gwillim said:

We have the same issue with our singer unfortunately. She's a phenomenal singer and we've won many a gig because on her voice, but her "banter" is almost non-existent and if the gig is quiet in terms of audience feedback she clams up entirely. 

We've got a double-header this weekend: tonight at a campsite/caravan park bar which is usually very lively (think Mos Eisley with gore tex) and an afternoon slot at a popular pub. It's likely to be a quiet one though with the football and the local County Show on too, but I'm sure we'll make the most of it and I am planning on using my new toy for at least half the set. 

IMG_0043.jpeg

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 14

Today's gig - playing as part of a weekend-long fundraiser for Noah’s Ark children’s hospital . I'm loving how (a) I look about 6" taller than everyone else in the band  (b) I've been captured in a rare "playing beyond the 4th fret" moment  :) 

This is likely my last outing in a rock covers band. I've done all the gigs I signed up for, but heading in a more acoustic direction now.

party at the picc - 1.jpeg

• Like 16

56 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

We have the same issue with our singer unfortunately. She's a phenomenal singer and we've won many a gig because on her voice, but her "banter" is almost non-existent and if the gig is quiet in terms of audience feedback she clams up entirely. 

We've got a double-header this weekend: tonight at a campsite/caravan park bar which is usually very lively (think Mos Eisley with gore tex) and an afternoon slot at a popular pub. It's likely to be a quiet one though with the football and the local County Show on too, but I'm sure we'll make the most of it and I am planning on using my new toy for at least half the set. 

IMG_0043.jpeg

Which is the new one? I've just this minute put fralin p's on my Sandberg, can't believe how much more i like it..... Until i change my mind if course! Hope you find a bright spark in the crowd, only takes one or two to make the world of difference.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

Well, vocalists aren’t the only ones who can talk into a microphone! We have the same issue but our keyboard player and backing vocalist are like a double act and it goes down well. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Boodang said:

Well, vocalists aren’t the only ones who can talk into a microphone! We have the same issue but our keyboard player and backing vocalist are like a double act and it goes down well. 

Completely agree and I do often try to act as a bit of an MC when I can. 

• Like 1

Played the Queen of Bradgate in Leicester with the country band I've joined. This is the REM photo ( that's me in the corner 🤠).

Great gig, lots of boogie-ing in the crowd and we played lots of country cheese, including "Country Roads" and ended up with 9-5, which is a lot of fun....we stayed on the intro for quite a while while the crowd worked out which song was coming. Turns out @Bluewine was not the only one in a cowboy hat 🤠. Oh yeah and there was a punch up half-way through the 2nd set 👍IMG-20230818-WA0002(1).thumb.jpg.df4effb999aeee7365897eb285ddbca8.jpg

• Like 19

Already home from the gig and it was an hour’s drive away. 6:45 start and we were done and dusted at 10:00, proper civilised if you ask me. Great venue in Dundee (Number 57), they have their own PA with remote, tablet control mixer (no being told to turn down here, not our problem). Seemed like a good mix and the customers were in fine form and looking forward to hearing us. I think we gave them a good show, as they were very complimentary. I really enjoyed it, despite the limited space for the band, nice staff (this seems to be a feature of the Dundee gigs I’ve played) and a happy landlord. I’d happily play there again.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 14

13 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Today

Maple Road 
Jam Fest @ Rivermoor
Waterford WI
3:00

FB_IMG_1692291222856.jpg

Great Gig in Waterford today.

1. Easy load in

2. Top notch production provided