Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

39 minutes ago, neepheid said:

My D5 is 4.05kg - 8.9lbs - not heavy by any means for the type of bass it is, but I'm guessing not the answer you wanted to hear?  If it helps any, it balances well and with a decent strap (I use Neotech Mega straps), it's easy to fling about - no shoulder/back complaints this morning.

Clark's sounds like a cool place.  House PA?  Luxury!  Don't suppose they're averse to northern barbarians coming down to play?  We haven't pillaged and raided any further south than Montrose so far...

That’s not horrific and a set of lightweight tuners would help and keep the weight in the body, balance-wise; colour me intrigued (for this and the other P type).

The PA was weird, as we were mixing it with our own desk (I arrived a bit later, so didn’t see if there was a house desk available, but there must be, speakers, monitors and power amp but no desk doesn’t make sense). Seemed to be a bit of an earth loop issue with some supply outlets, but nothing terrible and only in one of the monitors.

A wee trip down the coast for you, go for it, I might break with convention and even venture down for a gander.

• Like 1

A scene from last night’s stage 

0F7F0363-88E4-4792-AF37-DB64A6443FAA.thumb.jpeg.5004ea101be2586e18518079cb7b59e8.jpeg

There is a short video on the venue’s FB page, of us playing, which manages to capture the moment where I play the riff a tone out 🤦🏻. Do I style it out? No, stick out tongue and laugh. I arrived last and so set up in the space left, the angle of the video camera meant that pillars obscured both the guitarist and keyboard player; I’m ok with it ;):lol:  (bum riff notwithstanding).

• Like 14

Did a trio gig yesterday billed as Del Bromham's Blues Devils. It was a local charity affair for Willen Hospice. Really well organised and had a really good afternoon/evening catching up with old mates who were either friendly rivals on the old covers circuit or just people who used to come and watch bands from the old local scene. We were well looked after with refreshments and food and most of the kit was supplied. My mate in the previous band had said I could use his Hartke 4 x 10 and put my head through it. When I got there, he'd decided to leave his rig at home and use the house rig which was a an old Trace GP7 combo (did they do a 1x12 combo - or mebbe it was 1x15 on top of a 4 x 10. Unfortunately the 4 x 10 had blown a speaker and guys from the previous bands said the combo was farting out - great! So i set up, made sure the pre shape wasn't engaged, dropped the bottom and boosted the mids and got the Engineer (who's a local legend' to give me a load back through the monitors - and voila - not hi fi but great for grungy blues rock! Had an absolute blast and raised a ton of dough - and despite it peeing down had a great turnout too! Happy daze!

• Like 15

9 minutes ago, King Tut said:

Did a trio gig yesterday billed as Del Bromham's Blues Devils. It was a local charity affair for Willen Hospice. Really well organised and had a really good afternoon/evening catching up with old mates who were either friendly rivals on the old covers circuit or just people who used to come and watch bands from the old local scene. We were well looked after with refreshments and food and most of the kit was supplied. My mate in the previous band had said I could use his Hartke 4 x 10 and put my head through it. When I got there, he'd decided to leave his rig at home and use the house rig which was a an old Trace GP7 combo (did they do a 1x12 combo - or mebbe it was 1x15 on top of a 4 x 10. Unfortunately the 4 x 10 had blown a speaker and guys from the previous bands said the combo was farting out - great! So i set up, made sure the pre shape wasn't engaged, dropped the bottom and boosted the mids and got the Engineer (who's a local legend' to give me a load back through the monitors - and voila - not hi fi but great for grungy blues rock! Had an absolute blast and raised a ton of dough - and despite it peeing down had a great turnout too! Happy daze!

Just a spleandor measur, but what about Your logo name - is it a Chineas ansient sport art or else ?

Coniston Sports & Social club last night. Our drummer has retired up there and so we made a night of it, brought the families and had a good time in the rain.

Really happy that my kids got to see us play before the band wraps up at the end of the year. Got them up on stage for a couple of pics too.

IMG20230722205410.thumb.jpg.aa1c13c1b195939fa3bea15609a01cce.jpg

IMG20230722205420.thumb.jpg.2556bd3295fa131ff71bdd1f9a2c551c.jpg

We played well and the dancefloor was full all night. Although I can't really drink and play, I had a couple during the set and it was nice not to worry about driving home after.

My rig was the usual: Ibanez 1005sms (loving the low weight of the ibby), Ashdown Rm500 and a TKS 212. It was a really easy room to eq and the sound was good.

Edited by colleya
  • Like 9

We had two gigs yesterday, a teatime 45 minute slot at a mini-festival in Swindon followed by a 2x1hr gig in Bradford on Avon. The Swindon gig was outstanding for me, for all the wrong reasons… for the first time in nearly 40 years of gigging, I didn’t get to the venue in time. I set off 2 hours before stage time on a journey that should have taken an hour… thanks to a road closure which saw me sat immobile on a dual carriageway for an hour and crawling for the rest, the trip took me 2.5 hours. Luckily one of our guitarists plays bass and deps for me on gig dates I can’t make, he was able to borrow a bass and the show went on. I eventually arrived 3 songs before the end. They sounded great 😄

Thankfully , the later Bradford gig was an absolute belter. 

• Like 12

image.thumb.png.1b9dc5dcdfe7f2d5c928296fecdef4ec.pngBack to the John Peel Centre last night for a funky evening with the The Gray Project

This is the stage set up for the support band. My kit is hiding behind after we had  sound checks. 

It was great fun, good sound, nice monitor mix, a great sound engineer and  small-ish but very friendly appreciative crowd. I was very tired, having had a 4:30am start for my day job and then playing from 9-10:30pm straight through, fuelled by a massive kebab and chips after sound checking, then loading out and driving home arriving after midnight. A proper coffee and carbs day.

Edited by lonestar
  • Like 12

Played at the Square Chapel in Halifax with Dire Streets, having depped with them on rhythm guitar the night before. Near enough a full house, and a very appreciative audience, including Mrs Axe (who took these snaps). The D-Roc sounded great through my ampless setup, and considering nobody is trying to look like Mark Knopfler or any of the band, it would be hard to argue that the D-Roc looked 'wrong'. Plus it almost matched the drum kit...

Halifax3.jpg

Halifax7.JPG

• Like 13

BLOCKBUSTARZ Glam covers band at Methil ex-services club this afternoon 3-6pm. Gig was very busy and a great enthusiastic crowd who were well up for dancing.

We had people travel down from Dundee, up from Kilmarnock and some even came over from Dunoon. We also had a few Americans in the audience and they all loved it. Lots of folks wanting pics with the band with all the gear on at the end which is always nice. 

Had a few people tell me that was the best band that's ever played in the club with one guy saying its the best band he's ever seen. Not sure how much drink was involved but i'm taking all comments :laugh1:

Used the new Ampeg SCT7 Pro for the first time and i sounded great. Pretty loud amp.  Feedback from people who know me said the bass sounded clearer than the Handbox WB-100 but that's fine and i quite liked the sharper, faster  sound i had thru my Mesa 210 & 115 Cabs.

Used the Sandberg VM4 today as always.

Home by 9pm via kebab shop of course.

Only pic i have at the moment is one taken by the singer of our dancers on one half of the floor.

Dave

image.thumb.png.74c54c592f7f9ff74e54b407aa08fd15.png

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 17

Ours was a bit of a faff. Not the gig, the day leading up to it.

There is another local group that we get gigs from sometimes, and we send things we can't do for them. Some time ago we almost formed one group, but that didn't work out. When we were in the process, they booked a gig in a place called the White Hart, 10 miles west of here. It went in the calendar. Come the day before the gig, and we are talking that we are doing the gig the following day, and someone says oh I thought they were doing the gig. A bit of a back and forth, and it was them that was supposed to have it, but one didn't want to do it, so we did it.

Roll round to now, a gig at the white hart turns up in the calendar, passed through from the other group, no probs. Singer rings, talks to the pub, says we will be doing it instead. Comes the day of the gig, I have forgotten to put a poster up on all the facebook groups, so I ask what time we are starting, the drummer says 'they have already advertised the other group doing it, I say no they haven't. A bit of back and forth, and it tuns out, the other pub, called the White Hart, 10 miles east of here is the pub that they had booked and couldn't do, but now the white hart to the west is expecting us.

Faffy way to start the day. Apologised to the East pub, did the west pub, wasn't expecting much as it is raining and the week before pay day, but turns out it is heaving and had a great night. Also I got to use my sign, even if I had to put it on the side as I cracked it :/

IMG_6442.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, lonestar said:

image.thumb.png.1b9dc5dcdfe7f2d5c928296fecdef4ec.pngBack to the John Peel Centre last night for a funky evening with the The Gray Project

This is the stage set up for the support band. My kit is hiding behind after we had  sound checks. 

It was great fun, good sound, nice monitor mix, a great sound engineer and  small-ish but very friendly appreciative crowd. I was very tired, having had a 4:30am start for my day job and then playing from 9-10:30pm straight through, fuelled by a massive kebab and chips after sound checking, then loading out and driving home arriving after midnight. A proper coffee and carbs day.

I have to admit I don't miss working from 9-5 and going to play a gig straight from work. 

It's hard to believe I've been retired for 10 years.

Blue

• Like 1

Lovely little solo acoustic guitar/vocal gig last night at the Organ Grinder in Loughborough - my first solo gig in over a year (I do them to fill the gaps in between my other band gigs).

Nice crowd, good atmosphere, and felt good to get back into solo stuff. Also the first outing for my old Yamaha acoustic that cost me £40 last year, and it’s Seymour Duncan soundhole pickup. 

Good way to round off the weekend. Very much enjoyed it and got booked for two more gigs straight away. 

• Like 11

13 hours ago, JapanAxe said:

Played at the Square Chapel in Halifax with Dire Streets, having depped with them on rhythm guitar the night before. Near enough a full house, and a very appreciative audience, including Mrs Axe (who took these snaps). The D-Roc sounded great through my ampless setup, and considering nobody is trying to look like Mark Knopfler or any of the band, it would be hard to argue that the D-Roc looked 'wrong'. Plus it almost matched the drum kit...

Halifax3.jpg

Halifax7.JPG

At least there's a red Strat in there, so you can claim some measure of authenticity!

Played our favourite gig last night at ‘The Lookout’ in Scarborough with our acoustic duo, ‘Milestone’.

Always a lovely audience who bombard us with requests - the photo was taken during the 2nd chorus

of ‘Alright Now’ as an encore, when we both realised that the upper parts of the solo section would be

near impossible to play on our acoustic instruments! My mate Gary of course managed his bit,

(I didn’t even attempt it). Great fun gig. 

82414400-dcb5-4cf2-96c9-6dabe13d3b50.jpeg

• Like 10

Having had a year entirely focussed on my local goth duo, I regrouped with Slyder Smith and the Oblivion Kids for a Dementia Festival in Wolverhampton. The charity meant a lot as I lost my mother to Alzheimer's. House cabs provided but I brought along a little TC Electronic head (outrageous value for the size) and my re-christened "Gofner" Verythin bass. We got mobbed by photographers at the start and I found this Stagedive photography shot that looks like a pretty good action shot of the three of us. A better show than the 2 rehearsals in 7 months should have allowed. 

IMG_3853.thumb.JPG.5a519dc569c6220dacdd857c60e3a4d8.JPG

• Like 17

Had a gig Saturday night (no photo sorry), turned up, we were due to play outside but because of the weather were moved inside, we were told we were setting up in a corner with built in seating and one double socket. 

Myself and the drummer did our best explain why this would not work (the bar was opposite us approximately two feet if the drums had set up. So they moved us around the corner from the bar to a small area with a double height ceiling..

Suffice to say I could not hear myself at all, even with the Thumpinator and my isolator pad the amount of reverberation from me and the drums meant it was not a gig to remember. This Saturday coming will be much better I'm sure!

• Like 8
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Had a gig Saturday night (no photo sorry), turned up, we were due to play outside but because of the weather were moved inside, we were told we were setting up in a corner with built in seating and one double socket. 

Myself and the drummer did our best explain why this would not work (the bar was opposite us approximately two feet if the drums had set up. So they moved us around the corner from the bar to a small area with a double height ceiling..

Suffice to say I could not hear myself at all, even with the Thumpinator and my isolator pad the amount of reverberation from me and the drums meant it was not a gig to remember. This Saturday coming will be much better I'm sure!

I hate it when venues suck and have not the slightest clue what's involved in setting up a band.

• Like 4