Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

1 minute ago, cheddatom said:

If I get 30 mins in a dressing room before we go on it's fine, I get to warm up. If I go from loading on to playing, I'm a bit screwed. I don't think any amount of banana, shaken or otherwise, is going to solve that, although I appreciate the kind thought. Imagine trying to peel a banana while the sound guy is shouting for you to hit the rack tom!

Under ripe banana may come in handy for this.....

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Stuff a banana an hour before you go on. Potassium is your cramp avoiding friend.

6 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Good call. Ready Salted crisps, tonic water and cranberry juice are also helpful for cramp-avoidance.

Our drummer always has a bottle of tonic water to hand during gigs, and after my fretting hand cramped up at our last gig I reckon I'm going to be joining him.

Decided to do an A/B between the guitarists Marshal VBA400 and my GK Fusion S 800 at practice last night. I'll be honest it wasn't even close. The VBA400 just sounded incredible, so much punch and crunch but without sacrificing warmth.

As hard as I tried I just couldn't match a similar tone with the light weight class d. 

What i will say is neither sounded half as good without the Model FeT preamp pedal.

• Like 1

Not mine, but just back from an Open Mic night with the kids... Eldest (18) has played a couple of times, singing and acoustic guitar. This eve they were joined by my youngest, (14, but passes for 16...) on the Fretless Bass that i got him just last Saturday, 5 Days ago, on which he's has a noodle for an hour or so each day. Proud Dad.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, msb said:

There’s a lot to be said for Class D heads , but the modern hifi clean is not the same as the old tube warmth. Two entirely different things , despite the creation of hybrids with tube preamps. 

Agreed. I’ve tried to love my GK MB500 because it’s tiny and light, but I still schlep my RB and flight case to rehearsals and gigs. Not valves admittedly, but a nice big iron analogue old school EQ and gain/power stage that sounds ace.

• Like 1

Those little MB GKs have a unique baked in sound , some absolutely love them , some not so much. 
For their size they do sport a surprising slam. I loved a little MB200 at low volume as a practice head at home.

2 hours ago, moley6knipe said:

Agreed. I’ve tried to love my GK MB500 because it’s tiny and light, but I still schlep my RB and flight case to rehearsals and gigs. Not valves admittedly, but a nice big iron analogue old school EQ and gain/power stage that sounds ace.

I have both similar GK models and totally agree. The RB just has that something extra.

• Like 1

We played the Birds Nest in Deptford last night. In the lead up, I was getting some anxiety over the thought of driving from Buckinghamshire to South London. It did take almost 2.5 hours, but the journey was nowhere near as bad as expected. It was my first gig with my new Orange Bass Butler pedal. It sounded fantastic. Need to rework my pedal board and get the tuner pedal back. The clip on tuner is nowhere near as good. The band didn't play too well, but we went down a storm. If we go back, I'll use my back up guitar- there was beer and bodies flying around the front. Drive home was a swift 67mins, and was a dream in comparrison. I was woken up early by my kids this morning, no doubt I'll crash this afternoon...

• Like 4

Well, that was a great first gig of the year. I was playing in the Balaclava in a place called Fraserburgh. We gave ourselves plenty of set up time in case we had got rusty at that too but it turned out that we hadn't, so were ready about 45 mins before we were due to start playing. That was weird.

Place was dead when we started, must have only been a dozen or so people in the place and they weren't really paying much attention either. I dreaded a long night of poor attendance and no dancing. But towards the end of the first half, a big group of folk came in and they were well up for a night out. So we elongated the first half by a few songs (didn't want to put them off when they've just come in). We took a shorter break too because we didn't want them to leave then piled into the second half with Song 2.

What a difference from the start. They danced their derrières off, there was floor dancing, there was air guitar, the dancefloor was never empty. More folk came in and it kinda snowballed from there. Some requests were shouted which we were able to fulfil for a change. I always get a bit thrown when young people ask for classic rock (in a surprised but pleased kind of way). She wanted some Led Zeppelin, so she got Rock and Roll. Got asked for one more tune at the end, and they wanted us to play one we'd already done (Basket Case), so yup, we can do that

My Jack Casady was as good as gold, I remembered my wristband for forearm comfort and I even had some feedback fun with it at the end of a couple of songs by holding it up to the amp.

Got home about 2.30am, grateful for a great gig.

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 12

Punk gig with Emergency Exit at The Riverside Bar in Dumfries.

As always it turned out to be a great wee night.

Was reasonably busy from the word go, lots of dancing and lots of vids being taken. Hopefully i'll get to see some of the vids.

Used the Sandberg MarloweDK fitted with D'addario XT's but i've gone off these strings. They just dont cut thru the mix. Tomorrow i'll fit a set of the DR Black Beauties same as fitted to my VM4. Love them on that bass so hopefully they should sound amazing on the Marlowe too.

Lots of good comments at the end from both guys and gals which is nice. Few said they were arranging a bus to come up to our Dreadnought gig in Bathgate in 2 weeks. Lovely. 

Just home and had my coffee and biccies before beddy by bo time.

Night night 

Dave 

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 11

Had an absolute flippin' stormer!

Pub venue that is very local to me that has taken ages to get booked with (new management = interest in new bookings). It's always busy in there and it was no different last night. I think we went down very well (covers band with a good few unexpected ones in the mix) with the very mixed age, packed audience.

I used my usual Ashdown set up and pedal board with my SansAmp and my bitsa P bass. The on stage sound was hard work with half the stage area surrounded with sound deadening curtains and deadening foam on the low ceiling above. My sound was a bit too thick for my liking and my top end aggressive edge was hard to pin down. The drummer's sub  was squeezed in behind my amp and him and I think that may have unbalanced things for me. Anyway, soldiered through as you do :D We;re back there again in April, which is nice.

My usual squeeze - from a previous gig. Please ignore the settings!

IMG_5727.jpeg

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Marky L said:

Had an absolute flippin' stormer!

Pub venue that is very local to me that has taken ages to get booked with (new management = interest in new bookings). It's always busy in there and it was no different last night. I think we went down very well (covers band with a good few unexpected ones in the mix) with the very mixed age, packed audience.

I used my usual Ashdown set up and pedal board with my SansAmp and my bitsa P bass. The on stage sound was hard work with half the stage area surrounded with sound deadening curtains and deadening foam on the low ceiling above. My sound was a bit too thick for my liking and my top end aggressive edge was hard to pin down. The drummer's sub  was squeezed in behind my amp and him and I think that may have unbalanced things for me. Anyway, soldiered through as you do :D We;re back there again in April, which is nice.

My usual squeeze - from a previous gig. Please ignore the settings!

IMG_5727.jpeg

Interesting bass - what is it, please?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Interesting bass - what is it, please?

As I recall, it's an 80's Fullerton Precision body (from @Beedster) with a Ki0g0n loom. Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder SPB-3 pups and the neck I think was from Harrier and is a lefty Jazz style, very thin. The truss rod is a mare to do anything with though. It needs some attention and tweaking but I love it :) Oh and of course Basschat strap retaining buttons :D

• Thanks 1

Had a trek to the seaside yesterday - a venue in Rhyl...

We were headlining, but wanted to be 2nd on as all of us had a combined age of around 250 and needed beddy-boes at some time before 2 am.

So we went on at 2130, which, as is the way with music venues actually turned out to be 2220.

There was only a vocal PA, which I discovered after turning up with a Markbass 2x10 and Marshall Jubilee head; our other bassist had brought an 80s Trace and enormous 4x10 so I thought there might be issues with being heard. As it was, all was just as loud as with a PA, but without that artificial bass drum thump, but still clear sounding (at least if you had ACS plugs like I did!

Audience was very appreciative, only a couple of c0ckupses (both by guitar man) and Mr Drums did fine despite having dragged himself out of a flu-ey deathbed in order to infect us all as well.

And managed to get home in 1h45 beating Mr Google's claim of 2h20! So in bed by 0130, despite a wind-down glass of Edradour. Sparkley trousers went down a storm too.

ChokedRylStage2-4-2-23.jpg

• Like 8

Played at the wonderful Harrogate Royal hall last night. Capacity crowd of around 950 in a beautiful

room, probably the most impressive theatre we regularly do.

Had a good soundcheck but once the show started there were some sound issues for us onstage, which

our new engineer did a great job of battling with and eventually winning! This may explain my rather serious

face in the pic below - the booming was around a 'C', and you've guessed it, plenty of the stuff we do is in

that key!

The other picture shows a guy who came to our Sheffield gig the week before - he's a professional Ringo

act from Detroit called Michael, and he's seen here chatting with our guitarist Jan after the show.

IMG_1456.JPG

IMG_1459.JPG

329287962_738624374292147_4340231315359329661_n.jpg

• Like 15

12 minutes ago, casapete said:

Played at the wonderful Harrogate Royal hall last night. Capacity crowd of around 950 in a beautiful

room, probably the most impressive theatre we regularly do.

Had a good soundcheck but once the show started there were some sound issues for us onstage, which

our new engineer did a great job of battling with and eventually winning! This may explain my rather serious

face in the pic below - the booming was around a 'C', and you've guessed it, plenty of the stuff we do is in

that key!

The other picture shows a guy who came to our Sheffield gig the week before - he's a professional Ringo

act from Detroit called Michael, and he's seen here chatting with our guitarist Jan after the show.

IMG_1456.JPG

IMG_1459.JPG

329287962_738624374292147_4340231315359329661_n.jpg

That is a stunning venue for the ELO Experience…or anyone… to play!👏

• Like 1