Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Skaville gig in Bradford on Avon last night. Not quite as busy as previous years, only 2 deep at the bar rather than 3 this time :lol: we sounded good and seemed to go down well. @BreadBin came along, nice to see a familiar friendly face! Doing it all over again in Swindon tonight.

The usual gear... Skabass -> Shuttle 9.2 -> Barefaced Super 12T. Sounded feckin massive.

You guys were bloody great - my phrase for the evening was that you can't watch Train to Skaville without a smile on your face. Sorry I couldn't stay to the end, I really need to move nearer to the Three Horseshoes 🤣

Your bass was filling the room nicely 👍

Edited by BreadBin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, FinnDave said:

Had a short notice depending gig with a blues band in Kidlington (near Oxford) last night. I've played with them quite a few times over the years, and it was good to play with them again. Appreciative audience (we played two one hour sets and they still wanted more as we were packing up and quarter to midnight). Half an hour's drive each way, no complications, slid into bed at two AM.

Used my 2012 US Standard Precision, Orange Little Bass Thing and Barefaced Super Compact - all worked perfectly.

I like The idea of the 2 hour gig. I like the idea of the 40 minute opener theatre gig.

I do not like the idea of the 4 hour US 🇺🇸 bar gig.

Blue

• Like 4

8 hours ago, CJPJ said:

Lovely sound and nice groove. Refreshing to see a femal lead guitarist too.

Thanks CJ

That's Jenny she is also the band leader . Her husband does all the booking and runs sound and lights.

That number usually moves a little smoother. I'm not sure what went wrong.

Blue

• Like 4

Decent little public/local gig last night, I just really felt like playing bass all day after playing a super boring solo acoustic gig the night before, so an up for it crowd and a great sound in my IEMs just made the whole night a pleasure. 

Edited by gafbass02
  • Like 7

Old converted church last night at Rocknrolla's in Paisley. First time there with the Glam band and wasn't sure how it would go. Turned out to be a great night with a decent sized crowd and a group of girls / women including a girl from Sweden who danced almost every song from the word go. Sound engineer Paul Thompson did a great job for us and staff were all friendly. Only downside was they didn't advertise the gig much which was a worry. We've already been asked back and everyone enjoyed the night. Xmas songs went down really well too with lots of singing along.

While doodling before sound check the sound engineer asked if i was into Jaco and Jeff Berlin based on what i was doing. I am of course a fan but can't do what they do by any stretch of the imagination but a compliment is a compliment. I was already on a high now before the gig started LOL

All in all a good night.

image.png.f9b66c2d4d7cb8cc9c68408fa978665c.png

And in the green room before we start.

image.thumb.png.ed2f108bfba5f67c09bd0533ea5cdc26.png

• Like 13

Such a weird venue last night, country pub, not too far, only have a license for 2 musicians but like groups, and pretty well set up in a corridor between the entrance and the toilet, in an area where they couldn't actually turn the lights off, with the audience down a long t section. 

Had to move back when someone wanted to go past to the toilet and the radiator was hot (didn't turn it down until half time).

Sounded like a receipt for disaster, but turned out not so bad. Lots of people we know turned out for it and many diners (its a bit of a food pub) seemed to enjoy it. One person complained it was too loud (who'd have thunk), but then they left, so no problem!

IMG_4429.jpeg

• Like 7

Second gig of the Train To Skaville micro-tour last night... Haydon Wick Social Club in Swindon. Nice place, pleasant management and a keen crowd. It was open to the public, so a lot of the Madchat crowd turned up. We went down extremely well, quite a few club members paid us big compliments afterwards and we're guaranteed a booking or two  for next year. Makes the 02:30 bedtime worthwhile :D

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Such a weird venue last night, country pub, not too far, only have a license for 2 musicians but like groups, and pretty well set up in a corridor between the entrance and the toilet, in an area where they couldn't actually turn the lights off, with the audience down a long t section. 

Had to move back when someone wanted to go past to the toilet and the radiator was hot (didn't turn it down until half time).

Sounded like a receipt for disaster, but turned out not so bad. Lots of people we know turned out for it and many diners (its a bit of a food pub) seemed to enjoy it. One person complained it was too loud (who'd have thunk), but then they left, so no problem!

IMG_4429.jpeg

WOW that's a bit of a squeeze for a band.

Dave

New venue for Redonizm at the Crumpled Horn in Upminster. A little bit a squeeze, so went with a 2 3 1 diamond formation with the two singers up front, me in the middle flanked by the guitarists and drummist at the back. We had to wait for the football to finish, but our usual mix of party music with several obligatory festive songs soon got a number of people up and dancing. 

We had a dep singer standing in for our usual female singer who did a blinding job. Fitted in incredibly well after only a couple of rehearsals with a superb, controlled voice for only 23 years old. She’ll be helping us out again in couple of weeks time too, so looking forward to that.  

And she helped pack cables away and carry cases!

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Like 6

Not huge numbers in last night, but a good reception and ended up doing three encores.

Before we started a punter came up who recognisedme from a gig with the other band a week before ... and in spoons afterwards a few folk came up to say it was agood gig 😎 autographs anyone? 🤣

Edited by Stub Mandrel
  • Like 10

Hurtsfall at The Lending Room in Leeds playing the Carpe Noctum night supporting Skeletal Family.

Apart form some weird sound problems at the start of our set, due to technical issues for the headliners at the soundcheck which meant set up time for the other bands was somewhat truncated it went really well.The venue was pretty much sold out and there were even people dancing all the way through our set. Plenty of positive comments afterwards and we sold CDs and T-Shirts.

Some photos of us on stage:

318310175-602007748509347-63806501005945
318125175-602302541813201-63374249808590
318317694-602303598479762-27891868165049
318304791-602302581813197-39987173237393
318371014-602302651813190-44985423675103

Next gig on the 18th December at the "In The Black Midwinter" festival in Sheffield.

• Like 11

17 minutes ago, Maude said:

That's a great picture. Good to see the Eastwood in action. 

Thanks! In case anyone is wondering what I'm doing there, I'm using a pick to "bow" the higher strings giving a sound that's a combination of the typical plectrum scrape but with a proper note behind it.

Last night was odd. First time gigging in a new town (Montrose) and a new venue (the Black Abbot). Early start at 8pm - when we arrived in the room folk were still eating their dinner. The area we were asked to set up in was made unnecessarily cosy because of various bric-a-brac left and right but we squeezed in there.

Started playing and got moaned at for being too loud. We did our best to back it off a little and eventually they stopped moaning. I was barely brushing the strings! Got some folk up dancing. After the folks who were moaning left the bar staff told us just to do our thing and the second half was a lot more business as usual.

After an annoying start it ended up being a pretty good gig. Got asked for one more tune at the end. Nice early finish too (11pm).

• Like 8

Penultimate gig of the year for us, at our home from home and secret rehearsal/recording space.

Brilliant crowd, really supportive and they bought a few bits of our merchandise. 

I'm still feeling the love for the Warwick Sklar bass, so much so, I'm pondering whether or not to go for the German made version...

FB_IMG_1670159147817.jpg

IMG-20221203-WA0004.jpg

FB_IMG_1670182096269.jpg

20221204_192907.jpg

• Like 11

Last gig in Huddersfield for this year, the rest of December are all local gigs for us in the Sheffield area. A small pub in on the outskirts of Huddersfield, was a fun gig, compact and bijou so to speak and plenty of dancing from the punters. We had a chance to do the drummers XMas song and amazingly the crowd were singing along with the chorus halfway in which he was well chuffed about. 

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I might be old but i've still got a few years left yet...........go for it, i'm waiting :laugh1:

Dave :santa2:

The "It's a long story" is a link to the, errm, long story :lol: 

TL;DR version: it's a bitsa/butchering job specifically engineered towards ska/bluebeat, only has the one pickup because I found I just wasn't using the bridge pickup

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, martthebass said:

We had a chance to do the drummers XMas song and amazingly the crowd were singing along with the chorus halfway in which he was well chuffed about. 

Was that one he'd written? God I'm not surpised he was chuffed. That's a proper result for any song-scribbler.

• Like 1