Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

1 hour ago, gafbass02 said:

Private solo acoustic do in my local, easy enough night, voice held up after a few days off work with the lurgy, otherwise nothing of note. Back to bass duties next weekend, then only one more solo gig for the foreseeable due to my pgce course eating my life. 

38F46B2B-C80C-4C92-9051-C575338985F3.jpeg

What’s that c-shaped gubbins on the floor?

1 hour ago, JapanAxe said:

What’s that c-shaped gubbins on the floor?

23 minutes ago, jimmyb625 said:

It is indeed a laser stomp. Expensive but absolutely brilliant and so much less painful than a traditional stomp box

• Thanks 1

Forgot to mention, on my gig on saturday, setup, all ok, start playing, bass (Spector Euro) sounds completely gutless, like the whole middle is missing, check the amp, all is ok. Carry on a for a few songs.

Then I thought I would maybe boost the middle after a gap in song 3-4, found out that when checking it out (the battery was a bit dead on friday, which is why I didn't take it to that gig), I had checked out the swept mids and left it as complete cut in the middle. oops. Turned that flat and.. ok, now need to turn the bass down!

Rememebered, that although the spector is heavier than I liked, it is a great bass to play. Need to sort the socket out on the RST so it doesn't cut out, and then that will probably be coming out more too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Spent Friday and Saturday being driven to gigs by the singer, which was nice. However, a smallish car meant taking a smallish rig. 

I chose an RCF powered pa cab. As much to see how it performed as anything. Used a small preamp to get some eq control and compression.

Come Sunday the final gig was in a much bigger venue. I was in my own car by then (heading home post gig) so space less of an issue. I keep cabs dotted all around so grabbed one out of her garage, and as I always carry my Elf I set up a curious hybrid rig. RCF on top of the generic 15" which was driven by the Elf.

Tried the DI out of the Elf but it appeared not to deliver much volume at all to the RCF. So I came out of the headphones socket instead and wow! 

Anyone gives you a scientific reason mixing cabs and speaker sizes can't work, my advice is just try it .

I think by the way the Elf would have handled the venue just fine but with the RCF in there too it was huge.

Very few people came out which was disappointing but we got paid and the management want us back so that's a win.

A nice three hours set to round off a great gigging weekend.

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Tried the DI out of the Elf but it appeared not to deliver much volume at all to the RCF. So I came out of the headphones socket instead and wow! 

The Elf's DI output will be at mic level whereas the headphone output will be close to line level.  There should be a switch on the RCF to select the input level (mic or line) - I wonder if yours was on the line level setting. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jrixn1 said:

The Elf's DI output will be at mic level whereas the headphone output will be close to line level.  There should be a switch on the RCF to select the input level (mic or line) - I wonder if yours was on the line level setting. 

You are absolutely correct. I didn't think of that. Thank you.

• Like 1

First gig in a while with my semi-regular dep, doing songs from the golden age of American music. Nice old-school social club - great-sounding room, lovely people, cheap beer.

Second chance to use my new Handbox valve amp, and sounded lovely.

Here's a clip.

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Like 9

Just in the door at home after a weekend of smashing gigs in the UAE - first time over there, it's totally amazing!

Brought 2016 US P Bass, HX Stomp and IEMs with me and it sounded great! Local crew over there were superb and provided all PA stuff.

Can't wait to get back over there!

• Like 11

Spend Thanksgiving Eve with Maple Road

@The Barley Pop
Germantown WI
11/23
7:30-10:30

Thanksgiving Eve is a big gigging night in the States.

We have had success with our New Year's Eve gig at The Barley Pop.This is the first time we've played there on Thanksgiving Eve.

I don't know what to expect. I'll let you know how it goes. 

Blue

FB_IMG_1669193514720.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

@The Barley Pop
Germantown WI
11/23

We have had success with our New Year's Eve gig at The Barley Pop.This is the first time we've played there on Thanksgiving Eve.

Blue

FB_IMG_1669193514720.jpg

All the best with it Blue. Sure it will be a great night.

Dave

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Thanks Dave,

I hope all is well with you. 

Daryl

Doin good mate. Keeping busy. Let me know how the gig went Daryl.

Doing a wee jam session spot this Sunday afternoon with guys i played with in 80's doing Pink Floyd, Alex Harvey and a wee bit of Hendrix. Had a short rehearsal with them tonight for an hour and it seemed ok. Took me back to my younger days LOL

All the best

Dave

• Like 5

10 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Doin good mate. Keeping busy. Let me know how the gig went Daryl.

Doing a wee jam session spot this Sunday afternoon with guys i played with in 80's doing Pink Floyd, Alex Harvey and a wee bit of Hendrix. Had a short rehearsal with them tonight for an hour and it seemed ok. Took me back to my younger days LOL

All the best

Dave

Love some Alex Harvey. Saw SAHB back in the 70s in Nottingham.

• Like 1

Saw SAHB many times - once really early on before 'Next' had been released, they opened an all day affair at the Ally Pally (just looked it up - 5th August '73, Uriah Heep headlined) starting with a cover of 'Crazy Horses' :D   Front row were chucking bottles up at them, for some reason.  As good a front man as Alex Harvey is, I found I was always completely entranced by Zal Cleminson.  Saw Zal a couple of years ago when his band Sin Dogs played at the 100 Club in London.  He's stil got the charisma.

• Like 4

On 23/11/2022 at 02:59, Bluewine said:

@The Barley Pop
Germantown WI
11/23

Blue

FB_IMG_1669193514720.jpg

Ok, here's the story.

Very well attended. It was a good gig even though I thought some songs were sluggish and I wasn't particularly happy with my playing.

I walked out with *$140.00 bucks.

Blue

* If I was making big money I'd never post what I make. Since it's not allot of money I post it merely as a reference to what guys make in this local lane.

Blue

FB_IMG_1669272972959~2.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, alant said:

My regret is never catching Rory Gallagher.

I saw Rory in the early/ mid 70’s. Managed to convince my mum that I didn’t need to stay

in that evening and revise for my Maths ‘O’ level exam which was on the next day.

Rory and his band were absolutely superb. I got an ‘unclassified’ in my exam.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, casapete said:

I saw Rory in the early/ mid 70’s. Managed to convince my mum that I didn’t need to stay

in that evening and revise for my Maths ‘O’ level exam which was on the next day.

Rory and his band were absolutely superb. I got an ‘unclassified’ in my exam.

They do that when you score more than 100% in the exam Pete. ? 😆

I got a few of those too. :laugh1:

Dave

• Haha 3