Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

On 03/11/2022 at 03:03, King Tut said:

A late report on Tuesday’s gig in Coulson at the Tuesday Night Blues Club. This was a Del Bromham and Friends rather than a Stray gig. It didn’t get off to a great start when I belted my left hand pinkie loading my cab into a car. I immediately iced it and added some cocodamol to my man bag!

A nice jam free drive to the venue and quick set up and sound check. We had Simon Taylor doing the sound so a decent result in that department was a given!

I used my old AVRI Jazz procured from Old Horse Murphy of this parish into my Bugera and Schroeder 2 x 12.

We had a great night, decent crowd and went down a storm. Finger was painful but I soldiered on! Happy Daze!

D25F8108-21EE-4363-BF22-EFA65B455B40.thumb.jpeg.578051c8d67edeae6e237ec3ea88eeb7.jpeg

Ouch!

9FB71B86-C448-49D4-8C3A-79314D9E0E13.thumb.jpeg.1be1867928f3aa2128f4a0bfa6c8dd70.jpeg

Of course the electrics are fine!

400B5B3F-D22D-4AB0-9194-EDE845AD0DA1.thumb.jpeg.27eac2c1cf6ee82319302e086b4de708.jpeg

the changing cupboard!

F8E44432-ED4E-4BD5-98D0-6EA12420073D.jpeg.9d03db191d47745ae5f6d1304fe6d07b.jpeg

0518E80F-0330-49CA-BD32-BF837CC65967.thumb.jpeg.16fa03d1b4390d56b576c9c96b12355e.jpeg

Job done!

Cool pics.

Blue

On 30/10/2022 at 07:19, musicbassman said:

A dep gig from hell last night.

Playing with a late 50's - early 60's band - I've played with them before and they're pretty OK with the material they do.

But last night they had a dep singer, and he was an elderly crooner, who told me proudly that he normally sung at care homes and used " a cassette player with backing tracks"

It was appalling. I was already a bit concerned when we did a soundcheck (don't really know why they bothered) and played a bit of 'Blue Suede Shoes' and instead of singing the word 'one' on the first beat of the bar ("Well it's one for the money" etc) he tried to sing with the word "Well" on the first beat of the bar........... :sad:

It didn't get any better. But in fairness, in some songs he started off in the same key as the band, so that was an occasional bonus.

The crowd was fairly well oiled and there was some polite applause after every number, but maybe that was just with sheer relief that the singer had managed to get to the end of the song.

At the end, the singer asked for my number as he "could sometimes do with a good bass player"  Unfortunately I forgot to give it to him.  🙂 👍

Good story. If I ever dep I'll make sure I ask a little bit about the folks I'm playing with.

Blue

• Thanks 1

On 30/10/2022 at 11:37, Thor said:

Hmmm, I get like that just having a weekend off, that itch just needs scratching!  Hence I’ve joined a second band and am hoping that 2023 will be busy, already have 28 gigs confirmed😊👍🏻

Excellent, any serious gigging band is already heavily booked into 2023 and has  some kind of business model in place and has a great network and connections.

For bands that want to gig allot should understand it's hard work and not a hit or miss proposition. It's important to understand the value of your contacts. 

Losing a contact can be the kiss of death for a gigging band.

Blue

• Like 2

On 03/11/2022 at 08:03, King Tut said:

A late report on Tuesday’s gig in Coulson at the Tuesday Night Blues Club. This was a Del Bromham and Friends rather than a Stray gig. It didn’t get off to a great start when I belted my left hand pinkie loading my cab into a car. I immediately iced it and added some cocodamol to my man bag!

A nice jam free drive to the venue and quick set up and sound check. We had Simon Taylor doing the sound so a decent result in that department was a given!

I used my old AVRI Jazz procured from Old Horse Murphy of this parish into my Bugera and Schroeder 2 x 12.

We had a great night, decent crowd and went down a storm. Finger was painful but I soldiered on! Happy Daze!

D25F8108-21EE-4363-BF22-EFA65B455B40.thumb.jpeg.578051c8d67edeae6e237ec3ea88eeb7.jpeg

Ouch!

9FB71B86-C448-49D4-8C3A-79314D9E0E13.thumb.jpeg.1be1867928f3aa2128f4a0bfa6c8dd70.jpeg

Of course the electrics are fine!

400B5B3F-D22D-4AB0-9194-EDE845AD0DA1.thumb.jpeg.27eac2c1cf6ee82319302e086b4de708.jpeg

the changing cupboard!

F8E44432-ED4E-4BD5-98D0-6EA12420073D.jpeg.9d03db191d47745ae5f6d1304fe6d07b.jpeg

0518E80F-0330-49CA-BD32-BF837CC65967.thumb.jpeg.16fa03d1b4390d56b576c9c96b12355e.jpeg

Job done!

Glad the Jazz is going strong Col. I still miss that 76 P Bass I sold you!

45 minutes ago, gafbass02 said:

‘Twas a decent enough night in Hereford, a few headstock> wall incidents and a few shaky starts, but otherwise all good. Always a fun place to play. As usual I used my SR500 all night, thinking of selling my SR1200 tbh, it never gets used. 

IMG_0583.MOV IMG_0584.MOV

Love Blinding Lights . . . . just given me an idea for our band 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bassbiscuits said:

Really cool gig at Lutteral Hall in West Bridgeford, Nottingham, with the Elton John tribute. Place was sold out as far as I could see, and people were up dancing from pretty early on, which is always a good sign. Given me a warm glow for the weekend. 

29097B87-0656-4E6D-8E7B-CB32BD083540.jpeg

Freind's of mine went to this. Nice looking hall

Edited by ricksterphil
  • Like 1

Tonight sees the end of our annual residency at Tulley’s Shocktoberfest. 25 shows in 35 days, 3 sets per night so something like 56 hours total playing time.

Despite the tiredness I have lost half a stone and feel much fitter so it’s all good stuff.

It’s been a pleasure and honour to share the stage with my core band friends from The Audacity plus the rotating cast of very talented backing vocalists and brass players we’ve had joining us each night.

Will miss the gigs and the backstage giggles a lot but looking forward to getting my evenings back for a while.

FA1D725D-948F-4D8D-A58A-DED32E661D73.jpeg

• Like 14

Day 8 - Cardiff Tramshed.

The first of the run using the keys player instead of the drummer. The main take-away being that I really, really miss the drummer!

Some interesting happenings with the FOH sound, resulting in the desk apparently being carted out at some point. The on-stage mix went awry at some point as well, which resulted in me asking, for the first time ever, for some more guitar in the stage wedge.

Hey ho, we'd been really lucky up to that point, so put it aside and head to Bournemouth.

20221104_202600.jpg

• Like 8
  • Sad 2

Well, last night and the last few weeks combined.

I've just done 7 dates with the Mighty Wah - something of a thrill as Pete Wylie has long been one of my favourite songwriters. The mini tour was not without its challenges (even as the baby of the band, 6am arrivals back at home are too much for me now) but it was a fantastic experience and it looks like we're already plotting some futher gigs.

Last night was a my own band Dead Tenant playing to an unexpectedly large crowd in the fab little theatre just down the road from where we all live. We were a tiny bit rusty but I'm listening back to the recording as I type and it's all sounding much better than it felt in the moment.

Apologies for multiple photos but you don't get to play with your heroes every day 🙂 B&W ones are from last night.

Image1.png

Image8.png

Image10.png

Image17.png

Image26.png

H&B2.jpg

H&B1.jpg

• Like 15

Well that was an unpleasant experience for any gig.

Playing with the Glam Rock band tonight at a St Andrews caravan park end of season gig. Friend of the band has a caravan there and asked if we would do it. Was a 2hr drive which was a nice run in the afternoon but i was pretty tired on the drive home. 

Lots of people bopping around on seats and lots of clapping and cheering after every song from the word go but no dancers.

2nd set managed to get to 4th or 5th song and was asked to stop as a woman had taken severely unwell. Lucky enough our singer is a nurse of 35 yrs and jumped straight into nursing head. Turns out the woman had taken a heart attack. She had a known condition but forgot to take her meds today. Our singer said the woman was responding and hopefully will recover ok.

Ambulance was called and arrived within approx 10 minutes which was pretty impressive and they took over and moved her into the ambulance. By the time this had all happened we only had 35 mins left before closing time. Manager suggested we just leave it as the atmosphere had taken a turn for the worse and it wouldn't be right to carry on. We were agreed. We still got paid in full and were asked if we could do a return visit next year when the season opens up  again.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

On 01/11/2022 at 22:54, Bluewine said:

Wow, not many gigs in October. We had a cool Halloween gig but we were cancelled due to double booking. There was also a change of venue ownership. We should talk about that.

Acoustic gig this weekend were back at The Motor.

She's Right I'm Left

Saturday November 5th, 5:30-8:30
The Harley Motor Restaurant& Bar
Milwaukee WI

Blue

FB_IMG_1667360315929.jpg

It was a good gig. The 2 1\2 sets had a nice flow. I thought we sounded pretty good. Nice crowd and a few fans showed up. The Motor is always a nice gig.

Blue

• Like 8

17 hours ago, Captain Bassman said:

Tonight sees the end of our annual residency at Tulley’s Shocktoberfest. 25 shows in 35 days, 3 sets per night so something like 56 hours total playing time.

Despite the tiredness I have lost half a stone and feel much fitter so it’s all good stuff.

It’s been a pleasure and honour to share the stage with my core band friends from The Audacity plus the rotating cast of very talented backing vocalists and brass players we’ve had joining us each night.

Will miss the gigs and the backstage giggles a lot but looking forward to getting my evenings back for a while.

FA1D725D-948F-4D8D-A58A-DED32E661D73.jpeg

Man am I jealous.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Well that was an unpleasant experience for any gig.

Playing with the Glam Rock band tonight at a St Andrews caravan park end of season gig. Friend of the band has a caravan there and asked if we would do it. Was a 2hr drive which was a nice run in the afternoon but i was pretty tired on the drive home. 

Lots of people bopping around on seats and lots of clapping and cheering after every song from the word go but no dancers.

2nd set managed to get to 4th or 5th song and was asked to stop as a woman had taken severely unwell. Lucky enough our singer is a nurse of 35 yrs and jumped straight into nursing head. Turns out the woman had taken a heart attack. She had a known condition but forgot to take her meds today. Our singer said the woman was responding and hopefully will recover ok.

Ambulance was called and arrived within approx 10 minutes which was pretty impressive and they took over and moved her into the ambulance. By the time this had all happened we only had 35 mins left before closing time. Manager suggested we just leave it as the atmosphere had taken a turn for the worse and it wouldn't be right to carry on. We agreed. We still got paid in full and asked if we could do a return visit next year when the season opens up  again.

Dave

I saw the Seoul Philharmonic Orchestra last week. During the second half one of the violinists collapsed and they were doing CPR to her on stage.

She was moved backstage when they got her breathing, then they continued with the music.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Acoustic duo gig last night in my local, brilliant time was had, the standard drunk morons both made idiots of themselves much to my amusement. I really enjoyed the whole evening and so did the audience. So that was nice. :)

Edited by gafbass02
  • Like 9

Yesterday with Train To Skaville at the legendary Dublin Castle in Camden, a MadChat charity double-header with Birmingham's "Reggaelators" (who were seriously good). Perhaps unsurprisingly the crowd were amazing, up and dancing and singing from the word go. Had a brilliant time and raised a sh*tload of cash for Macmillan.

Egging the crowd on in "Lip Up Fatty".

FB_IMG_1667773077919.thumb.jpg.6467392c87f4c4fcf4224e37a67b9d36.jpg

Here I am giving my all to the break in the Specials' "Nite Klub"

FB_IMG_1667773090871.thumb.jpg.d7e2ef0133afd6534607cec075fff72d.jpg

I even managed to get a sound I didn't hate out of the house bass rig... a first for me with an Ashdown :lol:

And I had two compliments on my choice of shoes :lol: 

Edited by Rich
  • Like 17

Day 9 - Bournemouth

Quite an interesting day, although not for the best reasons.

We played well, the minor problems of the previous night were quickly forgotten during soundcheck and we were pretty happy with the onstage sound.

We played the set well and seemed to get a good reception from the crowd, so all was good.

There's a 30 minute changeover slot, allowing us to off-load our gear, during which time the crew do final line checks on the stage mic's etc, with the house music being the same timed number of tracks each night, culminating in the walk-on track for Kiefer and the band. 

As I was stripping down some of the equipment in a side room, off the main hall, I heard the usual huge cheer from the audience, but without the track playing. He then went on to announce that, after 3 days of feeling unwell, he'd tested positive for covid and couldn't continue on with the show.

Obviously the crowd were very dissapointed, but in the majority were very understanding. We hung around and chatted to people afterwards, which was nice as usually we would have been travelling to the next venue, but we'd already decided to stay locally.

Sadly, the three remaining dates have now been cancelled, which included Manchester, the nearest one to home for us all, but these things can't be helped. Still, it was an amazing experience and we were extremely lucky to have been invited onto the tour, so, many thanks Mr Sutherland and get well soon!

20221105_151246.jpg

20221105_175651.jpg

Screenshot_20221106_235142.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 11

My 80s Goth duo played a blinding support to a local Siouxsie & the Banshees tribute, at my local village hall. A very respectable turnout and we played well. Caught up with at least two people I haven't seen in over three decades. 

IMG_8241.JPG.ab28d4731e3dac75c778669da3b74995.JPG

I am on bass for most of it but play some mandolin and was delighted that my student joined us in bass and totally smashed it!

IMG_8235.JPG.81412d4819dd69202aec3600fe4d1fa5.JPG

Final words from our local review, which said "Eighties new wave electronica is their game, angled toward the gothic alternative, which they executed with finesse and emotion. From a few originals Nick explained they were taking into the studio, to expected covers of Bauhaus and Joy Divison, it was the sort of serious music venue appreciation society type stuff, rather than universal village hall. Though what was particularly adriot in their set was a rendition of Heartbreak Hotel in their house style."

• Like 13

Katie Fitzgerald's in Stourbridge last night. It's a small venue, and I'm bringing acoustic drums, so sound is always going to be tough. I tried my best to control volume but got most of the blame for the terrible on stage sound

Personally I'd blame the fact that the gain was too high on every channel (could clearly hear horrible clipping), the vocal monitors were tiny 10" 100W Behringer jobbies, and the engineer wasn't sure which monitor was on which send

Anyway, as usual, we went down well, loads of compliments after, sold a load of merch etc. so it really don't matter how it sounds on stage, as long as we keep our cool and do our best

313342477_10160149674131212_883080437144019606_n.jpg.805dcc0968ead32dc4b5cd9868a89d5b.jpg

• Like 11