Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

SO36 in Berlin last night supporting Crass. The first night of our tour and it was crazy! I didn't expect so many people, or for us to go down so well with a crowd who don't know us. They were there to see Crass who are a lot more Punk than us but they loved it! Our bassist broke a string in the last song. Great timing as he's come on tour without a spare bass or any strings! What a pillock :)

Hopefully tonight in Hamburg will be as good!

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

S036 - brilliant!

Who's actually in Crass these days? Apart from Steve Ignorant they were all getting on a bit when I saw them in 1980!

Yeh I think they're calling it Steve Ignorant's Crass, his band are from his Steve Ignorant's Slice of Life band, plus Jay on drums. 

44 minutes ago, cheddatom said:

SO36 in Berlin last night supporting Crass. The first night of our tour and it was crazy! I didn't expect so many people, or for us to go down so well with a crowd who don't know us. They were there to see Crass who are a lot more Punk than us but they loved it! Our bassist broke a string in the last song. Great timing as he's come on tour without a spare bass or any strings! What a pillock :)

Hopefully tonight in Hamburg will be as good!

Where you playing in Hamburg, there`s some great venues there.

Hamburg was awesome. It was sold out, but they're there to see Crass. We went down really well, people were singing along from 3 songs in so we must be doing something right!

4 hours sleep last night so I was hoping to get some sleep in the van. Unfortunately our bassist has some godawful dad rock playlist blasting out the stereo. We just had Come On Eileen 🙃

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

We did a pub gig in Crawley last night. Packed, two and half hour set so I am feeling all of my 60 years today. Had my Status back for this from the mothership in Colchester fixed and set up beautifully by Rob - have enjoyed playing my Flea Jazz while it’s been away but it’s not my Status! We did Don’t You forget About Me for the first time - went down a storm but anyone else have a drummer who needs the bass player to count him in on some songs otherwise he rattles off so quickly I just can’t get the gallopy bit in the breakdown. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, SuperSeagull said:

We did a pub gig in Crawley last night. Packed, two and half hour set so I am feeling all of my 60 years today. Had my Status back for this from the mothership in Colchester fixed and set up beautifully by Rob - have enjoyed playing my Flea Jazz while it’s been away but it’s not my Status! We did Don’t You forget About Me for the first time - went down a storm but anyone else have a drummer who needs the bass player to count him in on some songs otherwise he rattles off so quickly I just can’t get the gallopy bit in the breakdown. 

Yes i've had to do that in the past. Cant remember who the drummer was but left to his own devices it was like a freight train down a hill without brakes.

What Status bass are you using. Just curious.

Dave

58 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Yes i've had to do that in the past. Cant remember who the drummer was but left to his own devices it was like a freight train down a hill without brakes.

What Status bass are you using. Just curious.

Dave

Great description! I have an S2 delivered in July 2020.

EEF359E4-042C-41CB-88C3-D11E07FB6C1B.jpeg

• Like 2

Just back from playing a gig with Elton John tribute I’m Still Standing at a 1970s-theme weekender in Butlins Skegness.

Supplied rig was an Ampeg SVT and 8x10 which sounded righteous and smelled like a hot car engine when cooking away mid gig. Most excellent. 

I had a grand old time. And so did a few hundred other people by the look of it 👍

F331C3D7-5DE1-4B74-BCE7-3026F0660A91.jpeg

EA8DCF4A-22B0-4DD2-9331-F3C466B2B069.jpeg

• Like 9

One of those strange social club gigs yesterday. They danced if they knew the song. Clapped politely from their seats otherwise.

I swear this kind of punter wants a different band each weekend but playing the same set. 

Anyway, it was good to play and get paid. 

IMG_20221015_205751.jpg

• Like 8

Regular gig last night at The Riverside in Dumfries. When we showed up to load in there were 2 guys sitting at the bar.

Horrendous weather didn't help.

Did our sound check and went for a bite to eat hoping that when we came back at 8pm it would be busy. Up to 6 people now.

There were more punters with the band. Started at 8:30 and all of a sudden people arrived within first couple of songs. 

Wasn't busy by any means but maybe around 20-30 all appeared to be having a great time so it turned out a really great wee night.

Not a nice drive home with strong winds having brought leaves and smaller branches onto road with torrential rain and lots of flooding and standing water. Even the motorway was quiet. From Moffat junction to Abington i passed one truck and had one car pass me in a 30 min motorway drive.

First actual gig with the new Handbox WB-100 and my Mesa 210/115 cabs. Using the Sandberg MarloweDK took me a bit to get the tone i was looking for. Overall the sound was full, deep and warm with a nice hi-end click to to it. All flat with a touch of mid boost.

Happy with the new WB-100. Its doing a great job. 

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 10

Pub gig in Elmsett with Dirty Hands. Small village, great pub that was full all night. We played well, and folks were happy throughout…good times! Used my new usual rig of Jazz 24 with the beastly Dual Showman…gives such a warm, clean, solid sound. I just put new rounds on, so the fingertips are a bit sore this morning…

• Like 7

Played a local cider festival with The Hulla Band last night. We were due on at 5pm but as with multi-band line-ups, everyone was running late. Each band had been allotted an hour and the sound guy said they were all playing their hour with no set up or break down consideration. We went on nearer 6 by which time the crowd had increased and the cider had flowed. We were the first band with a drummer, played a tight, rocky 45 minute set and had the crowd up and dancing from fairly early on. We were allowed an encore and were off stage within the hour, much to the delight of the sound man. A really enjoyable gig and free cider afterwards! 😃 And I found out this morning that we've been re-booked.  In the pics I'm behind the Uke players.

DSCG9495-1.thumb.jpg.3c3408d87ee03e00e71f4a30f335cb42.jpg

DSCG9501-1.thumb.jpg.eaaea25dc382f55f9270c56f8beb1dfd.jpg

First outing for my Guitarbass VI through a Trace Elliot combo provided by the gig. I was happy with the guitar apart from an inconsistency in the volume in the higher register strings, partly due to not having set the equaliser on the combo properly but mainly due to the pickups which need replacing - something I was planning to do anyway.

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, Graham said:

Shout out to @Merton for stepping into the breach for me last night, my mother died Friday night and I wasn't in a position to play a gig. 

The video I saw looked great, apart from Matt getting the lyrics wrong of course 😁

Ah man I’m so sorry to hear that - hope you’re doing ok.

I just turned up and was loud like normal 😆 Was a great proper debut for the TE-1200 head and I borrowed a friend’s bass to give it an airing, worked beautifully.

Take it easy dude x

• Like 2

I played with my 80s covers band ("A Flock Of Eighties") at the Maiden's Head in Maidenhead last night.

afoe_maidens_head_20221015.thumb.jpg.0f40922a25c240a37d48a313a898211c.jpg

Was worried about the size of the stage as when I've played here before with a 4-piece it felt crowded, but thankfully all 5 of us in this band are fairly economical with how much space we take up, so we made it work. We have 4 lead vocalists - the three of us along the front, plus the drummer in the shadows at the back. By process of elimination you've probably deduced that that's the guitarist in the back left corner. I've been recovering from a heavy cold, and was monitoring the recovery of my voice with some mild concern, but I think last night sounded pretty good, if I do say so myself!

The audience at this venue are always great fun. The pub do insist on playing their own 80s playlist before we go on and during the break, and I imagine you don't need me to tell you the inevitable consequence of that.

A nice chap did come up to me afterwards to talk about my barefaced cab. I'm assuming it was one of you lot. Come on then, which of you was it?

S.P.

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, BCH said:

Wonderful gig @ one of our fav' venues All Saints church Shillington Saxon), most of the village turn up! Also they provide a hot meal...gig heaven...ha

DSC00069.thumb.jpg.2361e9366bdc5be1d402da167a90ea6d.jpg

A hot meal and an appreciative audience, that's what it all boils down to in the end!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think this is a first for me, I somehow seemed to have missed this thread? We were out celebrating the 50th Anniversary of Waltham Chase Trials Motorcycle Club - a gig I landed by chance whilst talking to someone at a corporate do in Bournemouth.  A great night had by all, bonus was they fed and watered us as well😊

FD689EA3-8C9D-4CF6-BC66-AB1273CF8DAF.jpeg

4AEF4DF7-3E8C-4AC7-B03A-DE320B834FCF.jpeg

DE0C79ED-EA67-4875-9C45-D281F1F6EE3E.jpeg

AC81354B-7FCB-442D-A355-FDA27587DA26.jpeg

• Like 7

9 hours ago, stewblack said:

One of those strange social club gigs yesterday. They danced if they knew the song. Clapped politely from their seats otherwise.

I swear this kind of punter wants a different band each weekend but playing the same set. 

Anyway, it was good to play and get paid. 

IMG_20221015_205751.jpg

That's cool, having a picture of your rig on the backdrop 😉

• Haha 1