Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

17 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Shouldn't that always be the case?

I don't gig for my enjoyment. I do it for the people who pay the money to see us.

The ideal is where band and audience both have a great time. I don't do it for the money, so it should be fun for me or why bother?

57 minutes ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, biker clubs and hells angels are a lot less bother than regular pubs for misbehaviour. 

Same with the punk & Oi audiences, reputation based upon looks not behaviour, much less bother than regular pub crowds.

• Like 1

Had a great gig at a small festival (Going Feral) yesterday...

It was the live debut of my new Royal Blood sound, with my Helix splitting a guitar tone off the bass, and both amplified separately. The sound tech took a bit of convincing to allow 2 feeds, what with us having another bass player and guitar, but it sounded awesome on stage through a Crown stereo power amp into MarkBass 2x10 and 4x10 with the ever-so punkrock Wal. And it probably sounded ok in the audience as well - a couple of blokes came up afterwards and said "you probably don't need the rest of the band!", which I took as a compliment but may have been more "you showin' off bastard you!".

Still, quite a few folks came into the barn, which wasn't at all bad as we had the excellent Dead Sheeran playing on the other stage at the same time.

And we got a decent bit of pay, for a change...

But what made it all the more exciting was that our drummer was due to fly back from his holidays, but his flight was delayed by 5 hours and he arrived direct from Birmingham Airport with minutes to spare.

chokedferal1.jpg

Edited by Leonard Smalls
  • Like 11

Saturday night with Train To Skaville, a wedding at a mahoosive posh house outside Frome. Got there at half six, originally told that guests were arriving at 8 and we'd start at 9... turns out the guests were already there and the speeches were still going on. And then, as we thought we could load in, this 'singing waiter' starts up with half an hour of All Your Favourite Karaoke Hits. Then once we'd set up & checked, we had to wait till the happy couple were ready for their first dance... and wait... and wait...

Anyway, we finally started at 9.45. I'd been a bit apprehensive, you know what wedding gigs can be like and a ska band seemed like an odd choice. I needn't have worried. I think it was the bride & groom's second time around, so they and their guests were all of the right age to have been into 80s second-wave ska, and my god they loved it. There were three or four blokes in particular who knew every word of every song and they were dancing like eejits all night, with the exhuberence and energy that only lager & champagne gives you :lol: We sounded good and played well, and I drove home with a smile on my face and wedge in my pocket :D  and crawled into bed at 02:30... was asleep by 02:31 :lol: 

Edited by Rich
  • Like 13

No gig this weekend as the venue cancelled at the last minute due to the death of the Queen..

And NOT because they had not arranged a sound engineer, replaced the promoter who usually dealt with gigs, pushed tickets sales, arranged for anyone to staff the door or were unwilling to speak to the band in the week leading up to the gig to explain this. Or didn't think anyone would turn up to the gig so it would just be a waste of their time..... 

Absolutely not because of any of the above... 

At all....

• Sad 1

On 10/09/2022 at 17:06, Merton said:

Already done one gig today - a kid’s birthday party with my “rock band for kids”.
It was great, and if I’m allowed to share any pics later on I will - short version is it was the kid of a relatively famous drummer so they are understandably nervous of too many pics getting out.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CiYPZg1qYpd/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, biker clubs and hells angels are a lot less bother than regular pubs for misbehaviour. 

Dude. I'm in a hard rock band and an indie band. Every summer both bands play (and I'm choosing my words carefully here) 2-wheeled-transport rallies. The biker rallies with the hard rock band would look terrifying to the casual onlooker, but they are the best people. The scooter crowd are all far too cool for you, like corksniffy bands that you've never heard of, and are always starting drunken fights.

• Like 3

I finished work yesterday morning at 7am and drove an hour to Bristol for a support slot as part of a cat charity gig. Amazed how on it I was considering my levels of tiredness. Pleased I brought the small rig as load in was a bit of a challenge  but the whole night was worth it as an old mate I haven't seen for 20years came down especially for us. 

IMG_7051.jpg.37af732559273966f704b1e5a6ca67a3.jpg

Edited by Cat Burrito
  • Like 8

On 11/09/2022 at 21:29, yorks5stringer said:

Invited to a jam  in a local studio tonight with a noted pedal steel player. Wow, what a difference it made to our sound ( 3/4 of our band could make it too). He's called Mark from Suffolk and was playing in Dorset yesterday. We need a pedal steel in our lineup too!

Got to love pedal steel - we have one in our country band and it’s great. Our guy is a superb

player (coincidentally originally from Frome too), and he’s also a very nifty guitarist.

15 minutes ago, casapete said:

Got to love pedal steel - we have one in our country band and it’s great. Our guy is a superb

player (coincidentally originally from Frome too), and he’s also a very nifty guitarist.

Our guitarist has one as I've seen it at his house, when I said he ought to bring it along he said 'It takes a long time to set up'. As I witnessed the one being set up on Sunday night in about 10 minutes I can only assume our guitarist is not that skilled or confident!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

Our guitarist has one as I've seen it at his house, when I said he ought to bring it along he said 'It takes a long time to set up'. As I witnessed the one being set up on Sunday night in about 10 minutes I can only assume our guitarist is not that skilled or confident!

They can be a bit tricky if you’re not used to them I guess, but our steelie gets his set up 

on stage in around 20 mins. They don’t appear to go out of tune much, but strings on his

get changed one at a time to minimise the whole thing going out. This is the second band

I’ve been in with a pedal steel player, and love the textures they create, either on chordal

stuff or soloing. Mind you, they do need to be played well - I’ve heard other bands where

they’re so out of tune it’s painful. You need a great picking hand too, which has always

ruled me out of having a try.

(Seen some recent clips of Ronnie Wood playing steel with the Stones and it’s been,

err....basic at best. He seemed okay back in the day too.)

Apologies for the derail.

16 hours ago, Jack said:

Dude. I'm in a hard rock band and an indie band. Every summer both bands play (and I'm choosing my words carefully here) 2-wheeled-transport rallies. The biker rallies with the hard rock band would look terrifying to the casual onlooker, but they are the best people. The scooter crowd are all far too cool for you, like corksniffy bands that you've never heard of, and are always starting drunken fights.

First band I was in played a biker rally - it was probably our 4th or 5th gig ever, acquired through a friend. We were naive and had a set of largely originals that with hindsight were not suitable for that kind of gig. We played, they yelled for heavier/faster/rockier songs that they knew. We put all the rock stuff we knew in but we were stopped after about an hour (it seemed like 20 hours 😃). We were expecting to be shown the door and, indeed, we were taken to one side. But they said thanks but it wasn't what they wanted. They got we were new and paid us in full. A decent bunch of guys and gals. 30 odd years later and I've played 'nice' venues with 'nice' audiences and had to put up with far worse behaviour and attitude than that rally.

• Like 3

It’s been a while , but I’ve played a ton of bike rallies. Never seen any problems , but they self discipline , if anyone acts like an ***hole the hive quickly steps in.
I’ve only been told that , never seen any issues. 

Edited by msb
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Franticsmurf said:

First band I was in played a biker rally - it was probably our 4th or 5th gig ever, acquired through a friend. We were naive and had a set of largely originals that with hindsight were not suitable for that kind of gig. We played, they yelled for heavier/faster/rockier songs that they knew. We put all the rock stuff we knew in but we were stopped after about an hour (it seemed like 20 hours 😃). We were expecting to be shown the door and, indeed, we were taken to one side. But they said thanks but it wasn't what they wanted. They got we were new and paid us in full. A decent bunch of guys and gals. 30 odd years later and I've played 'nice' venues with 'nice' audiences and had to put up with far worse behaviour and attitude than that rally.

We played for a Hells Angels chapter last year, got to the end of the set and they asked for more. I started playing the riff to Love Shack for a giggle. Then they asked us to play it. We happily obliged.

I recall playing September by EWF and Disco Inferno at another biker club in amongst the hard rock and metal.  They enjoyed that too.

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Like 4

43 minutes ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

We played for a Hells Angels chapter last year, got to the end of the set and they asked for more. I started playing the riff to Love Shack for a giggle. Then they asked us to play it. We happily obliged.

I recall playing September by EWF and Disco Inferno at another biker club in amongst the hard rock and metal.  They enjoyed that too.

I love playing bikers rallies. We were first asked to play one about 5 years back, we said we didn’t think 70s glam rock would work but did it anyway. We wuz wrong and the cheesier the better. 5 years on we normally do 3 or 4 per year to packed ‘houses’. Nothing like a couple of thousand bikers singing along to Shang a Lang 😂

• Like 2