Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

First gig for a few weeks last night at the Penny Black in Leatherhead. Not played there for while during refurb and landlord change. A bit of ring rust to be honest, guitarist in particular for some reason. I went back to 3 pedals (chorus, overdrive and eq) as opposed to my multi effects and ran everything flat. Quite a big pub so bought my 2x10 to go with my 2x12 (TC). Monster sound it has to be said. Had an old guitarist of mine come up from Devon, his missis surprised him, he didn't have clue he was coming in to see my band! A good dancing crowd, all in all despite the odd cock up a great night!! Obligatory kebab afterwards!!! Rock n roll!!

Edited by barneyg42

Last night was a short notice gig at a social club in Shoreham, as it was short notice we had a dep guitarist. Lovely bloke and a great player, particularly on the funky stuff, but not used him before so obviously had to keep an eye on arrangements, but eye-contact and on-stage communication sorted that out.

Audience were sat quite far back, but were appreciative and very friendly, had them up and dancing in the second set. Good on-stage sound too and wasn't too loud.

I'd been looking forward to a weekend off, but it turned into a really good evening. Only downside was the tunnel being shut on the A27 which meant the journey home took longer than it should have done.

Dutch wedding gig last night for the band and one odd "special song" from me on acoustic at the actual service so I had to be there at 4.pm. for that. Lovely people, great welcome / food / drinks etc. Played well.

Not a huge audience but most were dancing for the evening. Was expecting a terrible mix as it was in a really huge stone barn but it was actually a very good sound. I insisted this time that we cut down on the gear as it's starting to get silly and it worked very well. Hopefully they've seen the light.

First ever gig at Bristol Fleece last night. Great venue, even better crowd ... it was sold out which made the atmosphere amazing and we even had a very friendly stage invasion during the encore ... someone kept standing the guitards volume pedal so we ended up finishing the song on bass and drums because he couldn't get anywhere near his pedals! It's probably up there with one of the best nights I've had playing bass! It's a long drive back home to Manchester afterwards though! 😂

We were back at The Bell in Bicester on Friday night - we played last November and it went well enough for us to be asked back. Much bigger crowd this time, Friday night drinkers up for a good night. We went down really well again and barring a couple of 'free jazz' moments we played really well too. From comments we received and from video we've seen the sound out front was good, although for us on stage the sound wasn't great, the stage area is on a wooden platform with a low bulkhead opening out into the main area of the pub. I'll still not happy with the sound I'm getting on stage (EBMM Stingray into TC Electronic BG250/15) - an amp upgrade is imminent I think... On a personal note I saw a couple of friends I hadn't seen for a few years, in particular one lad I used to drink with I hadn't seen since 1991 when I was 22 and he was 20. Suffice to say we're both slightly wider, more grey and more divorced than the last time we met up!

Our next one is in a couple of weeks at The Punch Bowl in Warwick, a venue I've never been to and know nothing about - anyone familiar?

Brilliant gig last night, played a surprise 30th birthday party at a yacht club in Chichester.

Lovely crowd, who were up and dancing from the start, quite posh, but I guess that's what gave them the confidence to be on the dancefloor early on.

Slightly marred by someone dicking around with the mic the singer had put in the room to record with, but all sorted out okay in the end.

As an indicator of how posh it was, when loading out I spoke to a woman who said, "must get my kit on, I'm kyacking home" :lol:

Had a great Wirebirds gig last night in my own village (standlake). First time we've played indoors at this pub, usually they have bands in the summer outdoors, but there was enough room, sound was good and the place was packed. We had several surprise special guests (surprise to us as we didn't know they were coming until we got there!), so thanks to Pete King from the Falkland Islands for sitting in on drums, Mike Crisp from local band for his harp playing, and Jenny Haan for joining us for very impressive versions of 'Rock Me Baby' and 'Roadhouse Blues'.

I managed to play the whole gig with the help of various painkillers, though my wrist was twice its usual size at the end! Now resting it until Sunday.

And my new Jazz Bass sounds frikkin awesome through the AMB 500 and BF Supertwin!

Had the first of 2 gigs depping. Can't say too much but it was a tiny bar and they were far too loud, sound was appalling and despite them being experienced musos I was embarrassed. Have done a couple of rehearsals with them so knew the set but nothing prepared me for the onslaught!
No dynamics just everything at full volume.

Experienced pro that I now am will say nowt, just pack better ear defenders for next gig...

Tonight I played at a venue my band gigs regularly at. I had refitted the J-retro to my jazz bass, after going passive for a while, and it made a huge difference to the sound. Just goes to show, that you can never rely on the sound engineer to get a good bass sound from a passive bass. Sometimes you need to EQ it yourself first , pre DI box, to ensure you get the sound your looking for.

Edited by gjones

Played a Jazz night last night, completely overawed by one of the best young jazz bassists I have ever heard who was on just before me. I then proceeded to play like a one fingered, tone deaf chimpanzee. Oh the shame................Gotta laugh about it though.

Pretty decent really. Another outing with the Stones covers band. Played the usual venue, small but packed. Audience really enjoying themselves. I had me leather trousers on and felt quite cool. Didn't make any obvious mistakes.

I particularly enjoyed playing 'Live with Me' - it's a belter! :-)

Edited by seashell

Routine depping gig with a band I was with for a couple of years. Though in a pub it turned out to be a birthday party so good atmosphere and an extra tenner on top of usual pub gig fee with that band. Also got to experiment with my Fender rumble 100v3. The drummer is quite loud so I was really having to drive it hard and it was overdriving a bit too much for comfort, with a quieter band I think I'd have been OK and it was a useful exercise but I'll probably be back to my TE/SWR set up next time I play a full on rock gig. The guitarist caught me out by playing one song a full tone lower than it should have been but it was easy to transpose on the fly, don't think singer band leader was too amused though :lol:

My band Illegal Tender played a venue we haven't been to (the Miley in Rochford) - microscopic bar area but decent stage. Place was busy plus we brought a few along and there was a great atmosphere. Went down really well, were asked to return and got paid more than agreed. Great night :)

Played my first gig with a new band last night. Having not played a gig for over 6 months I was really looking forward to it. Rock covers from 60s to now. The venue was outdoors. First set went really well and then it started to rain during the break and ended up being washed out. Punters were enjoying it, the band was having fun and sounding good. Stupid weather.

Edited by rjs1909

Played an absolutely great 45 min set at The Foodies Festival on Hove Lawns yesterday. The sun was shining, the sky was blue, the sound man (thanks Roy!) made us sound good (you could actually hear me very clearly I was told which is always a Good Thing) the crowd loved us and afterwards we roamed the stalls hoovering up free samples. Unpaid (I can feel the sh88storm coming my way already) but plenty of free tickets to the event which we gave to friends and family, plus food and beer. What's not to like? We had a great time, the stage ran like clockwork (well done Phil and Brighton Unsigned) and we'd do it again without hesitation - as long as it doesn't rain!

Saturday night at the Cock and Bull in Sutton, sunny Surrey!
What an absolute cracker! We played a blinder and the crowd were up for it from song one!! Got a bonus from the manager as well as it was one of their busiest nights down there. Did a totally unrehearsed version of Nothing Compares to You in memory of his Princeness!! Hopefully this link comes over ok!!

http://youtu.be/OZL7taPH-4Y

We played a bar party in Kings Cross on Sat night.

Good night, nice crowd, though it was a bit of struggle to get em up and dancing for some of the night (we don't feel like we've done our job otherwise).

Here's a bit of phonecam footage from the singer.

[url="https://youtu.be/ioxOUf94dNg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioxOUf94dNg[/url]

Edited by mingsta

The Garden Bar, Eastbourne, for us on Saturday night. First time down there and all in all a pretty good night. Not what you'd call packed, but a reasonable crowd who were happy to dance and shout the night away, with the added bonus of a hen party who joined us for a rendition of It Must Be Love.
The evening was slightly marred by one blokes insistence that I wasn't really playing (I use a wireless). I'm used to it and am normally happy to play along, agreeing with them and telling them that I've got a CD player in my amp and that I'm just miming... But this fella wouldn't let it go and as his alcohol intake increased so his 'banter' degenerated into a tirade of abuse. At load-out he blocked the exit to tell me just how crap I was (despite him staying/dancing all evening) and how he was a 'really good musician and I should give him a go on my guitar'. I replied - 'And I'm a really good f**k, perhaps you should give me a go on your misses?'
Luckily (for both of us!) His mates bundled him away before things got too out of hand. And we were asked back,so all good in the end.

We played a new venue last Friday night. A lakeside pub & grill. Small area for the band, however we had a great responsive crowd for the whole night. Low ceilings, great sounding room,

The band was playing on all 6 cylinders.I hope we can get on their schedule and return every few months.

Blue

[quote name='UngratefulBass' timestamp='1462219224' post='3041255']
The Garden Bar, Eastbourne, for us on Saturday night. First time down there and all in all a pretty good night. Not what you'd call packed, but a reasonable crowd who were happy to dance and shout the night away, with the added bonus of a hen party who joined us for a rendition of It Must Be Love.
The evening was slightly marred by one blokes insistence that I wasn't really playing (I use a wireless). I'm used to it and am normally happy to play along, agreeing with them and telling them that I've got a CD player in my amp and that I'm just miming... But this fella wouldn't let it go and as his alcohol intake increased so his 'banter' degenerated into a tirade of abuse. At load-out he blocked the exit to tell me just how crap I was (despite him staying/dancing all evening) and how he was a 'really good musician and I should give him a go on my guitar'. I replied - 'And I'm a really good f**k, perhaps you should give me a go on your misses?'
Luckily (for both of us!) His mates bundled him away before things got too out of hand. And we were asked back,so all good in the end.
[/quote]

I have a hard time with hecklers and I generally try not to make direct eye contact with anyone. Especially those that can't hold a drink.

Blue

Edited by blue

Played at the Iron Road in Evesham which is one of my favourite places to play. Great little pub with a great sound system and a decent stage. Had the honor of supporting Fury who we're all fans of.

The pub also does fantastic burgers so I was nice and fueled up before the gig.

Here's a video of one of our new songs from the gig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZL182XmDBo

[quote name='mikebass84' timestamp='1462375654' post='3042516']
Played at the Iron Road in Evesham which is one of my favourite places to play. Great little pub with a great sound system and a decent stage. Had the honor of supporting Fury who we're all fans of.

The pub also does fantastic burgers so I was nice and fueled up before the gig.

Here's a video of one of our new songs from the gig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZL182XmDBo
[/quote]

Nice, tight and very big sounding trio.

Blue

Edited by blue