Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1459114228' post='3013684']
Fabulous gig last night at the St Paul's Art Centre in Worthing, West Sussex.

It was a David Bowie Tribute event held to celebrate the musical genius of the late, great Starman himself, and to help raise funds for Pancreatic Cancer research... Lots of different artists played various Bowie songs from the 60s right through to the present day and my band, Replay, did 'Fame', 'Fashion' and 'Rebel, Rebel'. The crowd loved it and it was an absolute honour for me to take part, being a life-long Bowie fan!

Also, it gave me a chance to do a 2nd gig with my recently acquired Hayman 40 40, which is such a great bass it's managing to usurp my BC Rich Eagle at the moment, which has been my 'go to' bass for a long time now..

Anyway, here's a few of pictures.. One of the band, one with me and my usual 'bass-face' and one of the venue from the balcony. As I hope you can see, it's a beautiful venue! And a very cool looking bass... :)

[attachment=215582:FB_Y7U4239.jpg]

[attachment=215583:FB_Y7U4223.jpg]

[attachment=215584:FB_Y7U4251.jpg]

Cheers, Nik
[/quote]

What a lovely venue.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1458389365' post='3007160']
Masquerade bash at Swindon MECA [[i]sic[/i]] - followed Nathan Jones All Stars (big band), including a Michael Bublé set, and played virtually non-stop floor-fillers. A few small gaffs (the band is quite new) but overall a success I would say!

[/quote]

Cool,everything looks upscale.I like that.

Blue

[quote name='DaytonaRik' timestamp='1458580818' post='3008803']
We played at The Greyhound in Beeston, Nottingham which is a very well known live music venue. Landlord reckons there were couple of hundred in and I wouldn't have disagreed.

In light of recent events, we saw this as an opportunity to play at a bigger venue to see if we could up our game to take on the big boys and we didn't dissappoint. Possibly our best gig to date!!!
[/quote]

Nice pics.

Blue

Last couple of gigs were cool. Just regular small 4 hour bar gigs. However the band has been hot and we've had good size receptive crowds.

Were playing a much more upscale club this weekend.

Blue

Edited by blue

I managed to get a picture from Sam..

[URL=http://s778.photobucket.com/user/VTypeV4/media/IMG-20160330-WA0000_zpshtihzljq.jpg.html][IMG]http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy70/VTypeV4/IMG-20160330-WA0000_zpshtihzljq.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Must have been a really important note that one! You can just see the Trace and SWR in the background...

[quote name='VTypeV4' timestamp='1459386027' post='3016121']
I managed to get a picture from Sam..

[URL=http://s778.photobucket.com/user/VTypeV4/media/IMG-20160330-WA0000_zpshtihzljq.jpg.html][IMG]http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy70/VTypeV4/IMG-20160330-WA0000_zpshtihzljq.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Must have been a really important note that one! You can just see the Trace and SWR in the background...
[/quote]

It's always nice to have an attractive young lady out front.

Blue

Back at The Swan in Banbury last night with Til Dawn - two hour set with a short break. We had to wait till the football was over before we could set up which meant a bit of standing round but once we were in we were up and running pretty fast. Good crowd, especially for the second half. For the some reason the pub across the road decided to put on another rock covers band at the same time. Always amazes me when venues do that - our gig has been booked and promoted since December, so why they decide to compete and dilute the audience for both of us is beyond me, but what do I know...

Couple of new additions to set last night which worked well. I struggled to get a tone I was happy with (Stingray into TC BG250/15), same as last time we played there. Low ceilings and cramped playing space means the amp is up against the back wall which isn't ideal. We all played well and the crowd reaction was really good, with the second half shifting up a gear and the crowd all up and dancing and singing by the end. A really good night all in all - next gig for us is The Bell in Bicester in a fortnight, happy times!
[attachment=216089:GetAttachment.aspx.jpeg]

Edited by PaulGibsonBass

It's been a bit of an adventure recently, doing lots of different stuff with different bands. More soon.

One of the bands well-known around here for its strong vocals. Unfortunately, one of the three singers left recently, and I got the short straw to pick up his harmonies.

Here's a clip from the first public gig in this config. I think I just about got away with it...

(edit - not The Dukes of September. ha ha)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMt_2r2l3yw

We were kindly invited to play a live event in Paris on Saturday night - we agreed and then about a month ago our regular drummer said he couldn't make it because he was moving house the weekend of the gig. Not wanting to let people down just a month before the show after the promotion that had already been done, we made contact with a Parisian drummer, had a bit of dialogue, sent him a live recording of the set and decided to press ahead acknowledging the risks associated...

So on Saturday, the guitarist and I got up at 2am, drove to the airport for a 7:10 flight with all our gear, did all the customs/passport stuff, landed at Orly 9:35, did all the customs/passport stuff again, got out of the airport at 10:30, arrived at the hotel at 11:30, wasn't able to check in until 14:00 so hung around in the bar area for a couple of hours, eventually got into our room, dumped our stuff, walked 25 minutes to the venue to check it out and then had some lunch. Next up we went and met up with the promoters for a chat...and a lot of expressos - lovely people who made us feel very welcome. Then we went back to the hotel to get all the gear and travel to the venue where we met our drummer for the first time - he too was a very nice guy - then we cracked on with the soundcheck which went surprisingly well - the engineer was superb.

When it came to the actual show we'd been up for 20 hours and were feeling pretty jaded to be honest - meeting new English people can be tricky but not being able to speak the language (I know that is our problem and not theirs being that we're in their country of course) and meeting new foreign people is really hard - repeating yourself many times over, rearranging sentences, trying to use easier words, speaking slowly, not wanting the awkward silences, etc. - it all took its toll.

Anyway, I'd say 50% of what we delivered was pretty rubbish, 40% of it was very, very average and 10% of it was alright.

We did accept the risk but the drummer didn't really pick up on the dynamics and building that we were creating for the more post-rocky parts so when we got up to a crescendo where our regular drummer would go absolutely nuts, nothing really happened here - it just kind of fizzled out and turned into a bit of free jazz!

The French folks in attendance were really lovely afterwards clapping and cheering us but in all honesty it really was a bit of a mess.

Still, it was an incredible experience, we met some really lovely people and, rather strangely, have been invited back to play again which is nice - next time with our regular drummer :)

[url="http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/minuspilots/media/IMG_2097-1_zpswqfyqq25.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by thebassist

Good fun, but pretty chaotic.... Singer & drummer get lost in car on way to venue, so they were obviously happy when they arrived to find that the promoter had cut our set time to 20 minutes (!!!) after having added 2 bands to the bill. It also would have helped if the drummer hadn't gotten drunk and decided to monumentally screw up the 1st part of our last song.

But overall the gig went well. We were a bit of an outlier on the bill (we're proggy-slugy-kinda-Melvins influenced, vs the more punky/indie other acts) but the folks who were there seemed to dig it. I also had the joy of putting my MB800 through a nice new Ampeg 8x10. The soundman took it in good spirits but apparently guitar leads weren't as prominent as maybe they should have been... Ahem... Oh well, never mind! :D

I also drank a lot of Guinness and woke up today feeling fine. Winner all round!

A cracking appearance at Warsop's Black Market Venue last weekend for the Think Lizzy crew. We were a bit apprehensive as it was our first ticketed gig but a good turn out got us going and we reminded ourselves that everyone there had paid good money to come and see us play.

Nothing major technically or musically and it was odd playing straight through for nearly two hours rather than the traditional break mid-way. A good warm-up for our next gig which is an appearance at Nottingham's Rock City on 29th April opening up for Guns & Roses Experience.

My punk band played at a small venue in London, the first band came on, no one watching except our band and a couple of their mates, that band immediately leaves. The organisers band come on, about 25 of their mates show up and promptly also leave, giving us an audience of about 5 people for our show. What the hell is wrong with people? I mean, who goes to a gig to just watch one band?

Was a bit worried about a pub I would normally never go in. Not to say its rough but we did think of getting stab vests with our logo on!

However, turned out when the daytime football watching drunks go home at 9, the regulars in the evening are fine, they sang along and had a good time, so it was a great gig. You really can't tell.

And the drummer kept telling me it was the best bass sound I have had. I took the squier P bass, as I didn't want to take anything too valuable in, so its either that, or the first time I have played with the TC450 and two TC 112s

A commune gig last night in a back and beyond village hall. Wasn't expecting a great turnout as no-one was there at 9.00pm when we were expecting to start, except the organisers. The 100% French audience all turned up at about 10.30 and of course, then want to party until 2.00am :lol:

Place was nearly full and really buzzing by 11.00pm and we finished at 1.30am. Went down a storm and got 100 Euros extra (between us, not each) Great audience, dancing all night. Only downside was the P.A. Belongs to the guitarist who insists on taking and using, everything. 4 x 1000watt active HK tops, 2 x 600watt active HK subs and 4 x 350watt active monitors. Total overkill, long pack-up time and all bloody heavy (Nice sound though)

First gig with my latest band. In the afternoon in a small pub near where I grew up. About 8 people to start with, by the time we'd finished out second set it was pretty full and we were goaded into 2 encores. Really enjoyable, great audience, we played pretty good and my wife and daughter were able to come which is a bonus.

[quote name='robot_pelican_chin' timestamp='1460145030' post='3023130']
My punk band played at a small venue in London, the first band came on, no one watching except our band and a couple of their mates, that band immediately leaves. The organisers band come on, about 25 of their mates show up and promptly also leave, giving us an audience of about 5 people for our show. What the hell is wrong with people? I mean, who goes to a gig to just watch one band?
[/quote]
Welcome to playing gigs in London!

But yes, it really does suck. I'm pretty sure that this sort of thing is getting worse too. If I'm playing a gig then I try to see at least some of the other acts play, and ditto if I'm just there to see the show. Then again I'm old and kinda a bit more traditional about things.

Late entry I know, but I did an ace gig last Friday night at the Donkey in Leicester, with a band called the Kirkland Turn, supporting a chap called Howard Rose, who was on the Voice a few years back in Tom Jones team ( I don't watch it, so feel free to correct me).

It was great - really busy, and the first time we've played as the full four piece with all the harmony vocals etc sounding great. Went down well. Howard's band was also brilliant - really bloody loud rock/Americana stuff, and a nice bunch of lads.

Had a quick chat with his bassist who had a mad pedal called a Zvex Mastotron fuzz pedal, which just sounded insane. I think it gave my band ideas...

Top night out.

Just got back in from gigging with my main band - a 70s to present day rock covers band.

Proper seat of pants crowded pub gig - band members haven't seen each other at all for over a month for various reasons, and we all play with other bands, so there was a fair bit of trying desperately to remember what the hell the song goes like!

You can be too well prepared I find. Kept us on our toes.

Somehow I pulled out from nowhere some weird combination of calypso and scorching slap bass solo in the "say hello to the band" section at the end. Ready for a cuppa and bed now tho.