Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

What an epic night out I've just had. Depping on bass for an originals band for only my second gig with them, a support slot which went amazingly well - in a proper music venue too where the audience actually listen to what you're playing.

And the headliners were frankly stunning - chap called Marc O'Reilly and his band from Ireland. Could feel the knots in my mind loosen from hearing them play.

A grand night out.

We had a good night last night, a 50th party which we offered at a discount as rhythm guitar broke his wrist and when we booked it wasnt sure if he would be able to play it. Lead guitar has stepped up for a few gigs and we have coped but the sound is not quite the same.
As it happens , rhythm guitar was back in action , but lead didn't exactly give him the (sonic) room I was hoping he would, as he has got the taste of playing a few more chords than he used to !
Still, the party went well , everyone was happy and to cap it off the bloke who booked us gave us the full fee even though we didnt ask him for it , so Result all round

Last night was hard work, social club with a fairly small audience. The people who were there said they had a really good time, but it did really feel like a chore last night.

Still, had a young couple come to see us about booking us for their wedding and they left a deposit, so worked out okay but I doubt we'll play there again.

I don't know if it was the room, but I was favoring the pickups in parallel rather than series last night, which is unusual for me; felt like there was too much mids, which again for me is almost unheard of :lol:

Edited by Graham

Saturdays 8-12 bar gig was respectable.

A little weird because I think we played this place just a month ago.

We had a packed room (that doesn't always happen). These were very familiar faces that were there specifically to see us. That's something I still struggle with and can make me a little uncomfortable.

Band sounded good, at least what I heard on stage. I should check the house one of these days.

Pedals were dialed in pretty decent, I was playing my 2000 MIJ Sting Fender P Bass.I also had my German made Hofner Club. I never played it though. The P bass was sounding to good to take the risk.

Realized we have so much material a lot of time some of our best stuff never gets played.

The band members were all in good spirit, as always. Abosolute 0 drama in this operation.

The gig generated a private party booking in May.

So we left in good standing with the owner. Hopefully we'll be asked to play the blues/rock fest they host in July.

It was a $100.00 a man show plus tips were pretty good.

I wish all gigs went like this.It's the way it should be for 70s style rock bar band. Respectable gigs, that's all I ask for.

Blue

Edited by blue

Difficult. Had a dep' drummer. Started every number in suitably restrained fashion and then went mad and started hitting everything in sight during breaks. Murder to sing over it. He asked me how he compared to our regular guy at the end and I told him, with what I feel was admirable restraint, that our regular drummer was a little less busy...

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1458079411' post='3004611']
Difficult. Had a dep' drummer. Started every number in suitably restrained fashion and then went mad and started hitting everything in sight during breaks. Murder to sing over it. He asked me how he compared to our regular guy at the end and I told him, with what I feel was admirable restraint, that our regular drummer was a little less busy...
[/quote]

Interesting, just the fact that he asked such an innapropriate question is weird IMO.

BLUE

First gig with a new band last night, lots of problems with the sound and general setting up, leaving to lots of delays and us going on very late. But we soldiered on, accompanied by live illustration projected behind us as a backdrop and three dancers improvising around us on stage.

I'd like to add that I performed the last half of the set clad in a silver knee-length cycling cape, which set my blue wode-style facepaint off rather well. I do hope there are some photos...cos when I write it down, it all sounds kinda flashbacky.

:)

Edited by ahpook

Masquerade bash at Swindon MECA [[i]sic[/i]] - followed Nathan Jones All Stars (big band), including a Michael Bublé set, and played virtually non-stop floor-fillers. A few small gaffs (the band is quite new) but overall a success I would say!

Last night was the first time I have managed to get through a night singing in almost a year.
Six weeks of steroid spray and giving up all dairy seems to be working!
Voice WAS starting to fade a little towards the end of the second one hour set, but we shall see how it fares tonight!
Grateful to have any voice at all, really.
Talk about "you dont miss your water"....

P.S. The 62 P bass reissue and Markbass combination sounded bloody marvellous and I can lift it with one hand! Elderly bass player nirvanva has been achieved.
Also HUGE props to our dep keyboard player.
The reason I am having to do most of the singing is that our regular singist is out after surgery for cancer.
Get well soon Paul.

Edited by ivansc

First gig with new under rehearsed band due to illness , but it went well even with cock ups . I was using a Barefaced Super Compact & AMB1000 that I put on top of a powered sub & that is only used for the bass drum . The funny thing was that I got accused of fibbing when I said the bass wasn't using the pa sub & just the one cab . it's great having a cab that does this is like carrying an empty suitcase.

Played a low-key show at a rehearsal studio on Saturday. Not a huge turnout, mainly musicians, but set went down well and had several folks comment positively on the bass tone.

Guitars & bass weren't put through the PA, my EBMM Sub5 + MB800 + Barefaced Compact combination really fills out a room nicely. I wouldn't have considered any of these without reading Basschat, so please give yourselves a collective round of applause!

B)

Something a little out of the ordinary for you. Horsham Symphony Orchestra with the amazing Gerard McChrystal on sax. Most fun I've had in years. Ravel's La Valse and Dave Heath's Celtic concerto among other things, and a brilliant bass section.

We played at The Greyhound in Beeston, Nottingham which is a very well known live music venue. Landlord reckons there were couple of hundred in and I wouldn't have disagreed.

In light of recent events, we saw this as an opportunity to play at a bigger venue to see if we could up our game to take on the big boys and we didn't dissappoint. Possibly our best gig to date!!!

A lively night with my folk/punk originals band 5 Hills Out at the White Swan in Ashbourne, Derbyshire.
The pub was rammed with people starting the long weekend off in style.
This was the second well-paying gig in two weeks and we have several more in the diary.
This just goes to show that playing original songs can pay off. We do no covers at all.
My personal experience on how to make playing originals work is;
Have good songs with quality arrangements,
Play them well, there's no chance of doing a sloppy cover version while the crowd singalong covers it up,
Put on a good show, playing with conviction,
If you're genre specific, as we are, make that totally clear on your publicity,
Seek out venues that have a reputation for your genre.

Happy Easter everybody.

Back to pub-land for us this weekend - The George and Dragon in Ashbourne...shoe horned into a corner, diner's obviously aware we were waiting on them to finish before we could set up and seem to take forever. No space for lighting, late setup, sound check straight into the gig and I went from dread to grin in about 8 bars! Great reaction, a full pub and lots of Lizzy fans in so the material was well received and all was good. A couple of technical gremlins (failed PSU on a guitarist pedal board) but everything was soon under control. Another successful night Onwards and upwards!

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1459075944' post='3013278']
Belter last night, had my favourite drummer and we all bought our A game. Was a late finish once you account for the clock change, but very enjoyable night nonetheless.
[/quote]
Ditto on both counts for me, best gig in quite a while (also one of my favourite drummers). The only drawback was finishing at one, put away my gear and it was twenty past two with a three hour drive to go.

[quote name='EmmettC' timestamp='1459077093' post='3013296']

Ditto on both counts for me, best gig in quite a while (also one of my favourite drummers). The only drawback was finishing at one, put away my gear and it was twenty past two with a three hour drive to go.
[/quote]

Crikey, at least we only had to get across town rather than drive for that length of time

Fabulous gig last night at the St Paul's Art Centre in Worthing, West Sussex.

It was a David Bowie Tribute event held to celebrate the musical genius of the late, great Starman himself, and to help raise funds for Pancreatic Cancer research... Lots of different artists played various Bowie songs from the 60s right through to the present day and my band, Replay, did 'Fame', 'Fashion' and 'Rebel, Rebel'. The crowd loved it and it was an absolute honour for me to take part, being a life-long Bowie fan!

Also, it gave me a chance to do a 2nd gig with my recently acquired Hayman 40 40, which is such a great bass it's managing to usurp my BC Rich Eagle at the moment, which has been my 'go to' bass for a long time now..

Anyway, here's a few of pictures.. One of the band, one with me and my usual 'bass-face' and one of the venue from the balcony. As I hope you can see, it's a beautiful venue! And a very cool looking bass... :)

[attachment=215582:FB_Y7U4239.jpg]

[attachment=215583:FB_Y7U4223.jpg]

[attachment=215584:FB_Y7U4251.jpg]

Cheers, Nik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1459114228' post='3013684']
Fabulous gig last night at the St Paul's Art Centre in Worthing, West Sussex.

It was a David Bowie Tribute event held to celebrate the musical genius of the late, great Starman himself, and to help raise funds for Pancreatic Cancer research... Lots of different artists played various Bowie songs from the 60s right through to the present day and my band, Replay, did 'Fame', 'Fashion' and 'Rebel, Rebel'. The crowd loved it and it was an absolute honour for me to take part, being a life-long Bowie fan!

Also, it gave me a chance to do a 2nd gig with my recently acquired Hayman 40 40, which is such a great bass it's managing to usurp my BC Rich Eagle at the moment, which has been my 'go to' bass for a long time now..

Anyway, here's a few of pictures.. One of the band, one with me and my usual 'bass-face' and one of the venue from the balcony. As I hope you can see, it's a beautiful venue! And a very cool looking bass... :)

[attachment=215582:FB_Y7U4239.jpg]

[attachment=215583:FB_Y7U4223.jpg]

[attachment=215584:FB_Y7U4251.jpg]

Cheers, Nik
[/quote]

Nice one Nik! And Happy Birthday by the way, Facebook wouldn't let me post on your timeline for some reason!