Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Minimum this sort of thing - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000UJ8RHE?keywords=etymotic&qid=1447668913&ref_=sr_1_8&sr=8-8

But you've only got one set of ears, so if you're gonna start gigging regularly, I'd look at getting a set of custom mould ACS Pros. They're fantastic - I use them to watch gigs, too.

I've got tinnitus, trust me, you don't want to wait till it happens... :(

Had a great one on Saturday, for a wedding anniversary party. Had to learn a couple of cheesy tunes which the hosts had requested, but they went down really well in fairness.

I wasn't on bass for this one tho - was covering lead guitar and vocals instead, which meant a chance to gig my newish PRS Bernie Marsden, plus my recently acquired Dunlop mini wah etc. All good.

My well travelled drummer even complimented me on my guitar sound and solos. Yay not bad for a bassist then...

In response to the ear plugs point, I always wear them too. Ive got a set called Ear Peace that come in a red steel tube. They are soft rubber with different strength inserts, and come in different skin tones. Work well for me.

Edited by bassbiscuits

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1447631782' post='2909183']
Does anyone use ear plugs on stage? Any you'd recommend?
[/quote]

If you're prepared to spend the moolah - and really you should because it's your hearing and you'll never get it back if you lose it - then you're perfectly located for a trip to ACS who are based in your very town:

Units 22-23
Beaumont Close
Banbury
Oxfordshire
OX16 1TG
United Kingdom
They're really friendly and their ear plugs are as good as you'll find anywhere.

Good luck at The Bell on Friday - used to play there all the time till I quit the pub band scene. Fun pub to play for sure.

Had a cracking gig at The Stumble Inn, Long Eaton. We'd played there before but the crowd this time around were well and truly up for a night of Thin Lizzy. I did feel sorry for the folk club who had been double booked upstairs though! A great turnout (I had trouble wandering around the crowd during a guitar solo 'duel' on Suicide) and a very noisy and appreciative one too...lots of great crowd participation, air guitars and chorus sing alongs

A work colleague made himself known to me at the interval - he had turned up completely unaware that I was playing that night. He was mightily impressed and has been spreading the word through the office today...flattering in an embarrassing kinda way

Played at The Black Bull in Horsforth (Leeds) on Sat night. It was rotten weather and, coupled with the atrocity of Friday, an empty pub at 9.30 seemed sort of expected. HOWEVER, in the next 15 mins, it filled up and ended up being a fab night. We are always amazed that people come back time and time again. Thank goodness for that or it would have been a horror. Great bar staff and door staff and an easy pack in and out. Was a good night. Topped off with a drunken woman falling over the front line as we were packing down and jumping up to accuse the drummer of pulling her over. He was a good 4 feet away at the time. Ha ha doofus

Otto's Shrunken Head in NYC. Small room, fun, enthusiastic crowd. Played a good set, made a few new fans and left with some beer money in my pocket.

As an added bonus, the singer and guitar player got on well with each other (that's not normal) and some pretty girls flirted with me and the drummer (that's not, either). All in all, I have no complaints!

The Barrels in Hereford again last night. I'm on drums in this band. The stage is a short but hollow wooden stage, and I just love the effect of this on the kick drum. It didn't seem to add any boominess to the bass so no need for isolation pads or whatever. It's the first gig I've played without ear plugs for ages (forgot them) and it wasn't too bad at all! Didn't get too loud, no ringing in my ears afterwards, and everything sounded great!

Played @ Rebellion in Manchester last night for the first time.

We were supposed to be playing a venue in Stockport but they closed their doors on Monday - I guess another victim of difficult economic times. Our guitarist rattled off a load of emails to various pubs and the like - pretty speculative as we've not sorted out out promo material yet. Got a few responses that might lead to gigs in the future, a few that don't do cover bands and a yes from Rebellion.

Turned up on the back of no practise for a month (new baby, drummer stranded in Egypt, etc.) to a really large stage - the place holds 550 for live music events. We set-up, had a burger and hit the stage at 9. Almost more staff than customers, there would have been if a few friends of the band hadn't been there at the start. Both sets went well, no-one left before the second set and a few more punters turned up towards the end. I don't feel too bad about the small turn-out - we only finalised things Wednesday morning so treated it as a live practise in many respects.

Hopefully they'll have us back and I think we'e landed another booking elsewhere off the back of it so all in all a good night.
[attachment=205464:rebellion.jpg]

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1447672495' post='2909343']

If you're prepared to spend the moolah - and really you should because it's your hearing and you'll never get it back if you lose it - then you're perfectly located for a trip to ACS who are based in your very town:

Units 22-23
Beaumont Close
Banbury
Oxfordshire
OX16 1TG
United Kingdom
They're really friendly and their ear plugs are as good as you'll find anywhere.

Good luck at The Bell on Friday - used to play there all the time till I quit the pub band scene. Fun pub to play for sure.
[/quote]

Cheers - I'll let you know how we get on at The Bell.

Acoustic duo gig last night. (Me guitar + female vox) Didn't know if I was looking forward to it really due to the current mood here. They were thinking of cancelling but decided to go ahead in the end in line with the typical and admirable French attitude of "You can't keep us down"

Wasn't packed, but we had a minutes silence, then started with Imagine (Eva Cassidy version) That went down well and then we did our normal sets but with an added 10 French numbers dotted around.

A very good night in the end as quite a few turned up later in the evening.

We played at The Bell in Bicester, 2 x 1 hour sets, last night. We were able to get our mate to take us over in his minibus so it was good to have a few beers without having to think about driving home for a change. Easy load in / out, friendly natives and some serious moshing by a bunch of young lads to our heavier songs. We've been opening with Muse's Psycho just lately and last night absolutely nailed it for the first time. Horrible bass sound for me throughout, no matter how much I fiddled with the eq between songs I just couldn't get it sounding how I like - playing on a shallow, hollow wooden stage probably didn't help... Mind you it was the first run out for my new, eBay sourced Ibanez Phat-Hed which I'm really pleased with. Not much of a crowd though, pretty poor for a Friday. We put it down to it being freezing cold, plus it's not quite payday yet. So all in all a reasonably good night. Still suffering with woolly hearing though, so this morning bought some musician ear plugs which should arrive in time for the next gig.

Great gig at The Maze, Nottingham supporting the Specials' Neville Staple and band. It was sold out and a very definite audience demographic consisting of middle aged men with no hair, Harrington jackets and DMs. We weren't sure how our quite modern brand of 'urban reggae' would do down, but it was a blinder, and we've never had so much positive feedback after a gig.

Neville Staple and band were spot on, playing all the favourites and had the entire room bouncing.

Great night, one of the best.

Edited by Roland Rock

Excellent gig last night at the Ivory Lounge in Dunstable, good crowd of all ages and lots of dancing. The place never really gets going until late so we played from 10.30 to 1.30 with a 20 minute break, I'm totally cream crackered this morning.

Was also the first gig with my new TKS S112's which sounded great and are light enough to carry one in each hand to and from the car, I'm very pleased with them.

Corporation in Sheffield on Friday, great sound on stage. My first time gigging without an amp (just DI through the monitors) and it was perfect. Not many people there, but it was a very small room so not too depressing

The Sugarmill in Stoke on Saturday. I set up for soundcheck and nothing came out. We did a soundcheck without my pedals, and then I had to go and try to fault find without an amp! I used my tuner as a signal indicator and located a bust patch cable. So, sorted in time to get on, but I think I might have been a bit too loud in the mix with my pedals :) We went down well anyway

Star & Garter in Manchester last night, back on drums. It's a cool venue but there weren't many there, and some of the old punks looked nearly paralytic. We did get to see a very good band called Eye The Bomb who I'll be following

[quote name='chaypup' timestamp='1447609554' post='2908894']
A clip from Fridays gig - I'm behind the singer btw!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PasojrmDmNk&ab_channel=SuperChangoUK[/media]
[/quote]

me likey - and extra marks for the bongos :D

ps EVERYBODY should play in a funky band like this - hell even none bass players :gas:

Edited by steve-bbb

Friday night Rainbow Venues in Digbeth supporting TV Smith - this is a dead cool place. Not many people there but it was fun non the less.

Saturday night downstairs at Rock City playing the after party for Ferocious Dog. I didn't get to see their set as we were busy getting ready, but we played well to a good crowd. It's nice to be able to say "I played rock city" even if it was the small room