Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Yey, I can officially post to this thread (well technically I should wait until past midnight but I'm sure you'll forgive me in my excitement) :D

So dear bass chatters, today, 10 and a half months after picking up a bass, I have performed infront of a real life audience!!!

With our charity gigs looming, we decided to try out some of our set at a local jam night!

We were told we would be able to do 2 or 3 numbers.... But when we were up there they asked us to do a fourth :D

I was shaking like a leaf!! I can't believe how nervous I was. The first song started, and because they provide the back line I couldn't hear myself, so I had to step forward infront of the PA speaker to hear my bass!!

We performed "Mercury Blues", "Badge", "Can't get enough of your love" and "Need your love so bad".

Several people came on to me afterwards to compliment my bass playing!! I have recorded the tracks (thanks Discreet for the Zoom recorder recommendation) and so will listen to them tomorrow to analyse where I can improve on my playing. I probably sounded sh*t with shaking fingers!!!

But right now I am on cloud nine!!! It was bloody fantastic to perform!!! Hee hee, I'm actually a proper real life bassist now!!!!

I was wearing a t-shirt saying "Yes, I'm a girl... Yes, I play bass... Any more questions?" and a guy came up to me and said "I have a few questions, can I have your number and can I take you on a date?" I laughed, then he said "I'm being serious, you are beautiful and you are brilliant on the bass"!!! I politely declined saying how sweet it was of him, but I'm a very happily married woman.... But it's given me a real confidence boost!!

I'm a happy bassist tonight!!

[quote name='Bass Lady' timestamp='1365977061' post='2046933']
2 questions:

What's it like having groupies?

Where can I get this t-shirt????
[/quote]

1 A bit embarrassing if I'm honest!!
2 Zazzle ;)

Edit to add link to t-shirt... I had it on a black tshirt.

http://www.zazzle.co.uk/yes_i_am_a_girl_text_only_play_bass_purple_tshirt-235291401826389991

Edited by SpaceChick

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1365976826' post='2046929']
Yey, I can officially post to this thread (well technically I should wait until past midnight but I'm sure you'll forgive me in my excitement) :D

So dear bass chatters, today, 10 and a half months after picking up a bass, I have performed infront of a real life audience!!!

With our charity gigs looming, we decided to try out some of our set at a local jam night!

We were told we would be able to do 2 or 3 numbers.... But when we were up there they asked us to do a fourth :D

I was shaking like a leaf!! I can't believe how nervous I was. The first song started, and because they provide the back line I couldn't hear myself, so I had to step forward infront of the PA speaker to hear my bass!!

We performed "Mercury Blues", "Badge", "Can't get enough of your love" and "Need your love so bad".

Several people came on to me afterwards to compliment my bass playing!! I have recorded the tracks (thanks Discreet for the Zoom recorder recommendation) and so will listen to them tomorrow to analyse where I can improve on my playing. I probably sounded sh*t with shaking fingers!!!

But right now I am on cloud nine!!! It was bloody fantastic to perform!!! Hee hee, I'm actually a proper real life bassist now!!!!

I was wearing a t-shirt saying "Yes, I'm a girl... Yes, I play bass... Any more questions?" and a guy came up to me and said "I have a few questions, can I have your number and can I take you on a date?" I laughed, then he said "I'm being serious, you are beautiful and you are brilliant on the bass"!!! I politely declined saying how sweet it was of him, but I'm a very happily married woman.... But it's given me a real confidence boost!!

[/quote]

welcome to the life of a gigging bass player chick i'll warn you its addictive glad to hear all went well don't worry about the nerves they'll pass with more and more gigs

maybe some of the basschat community in the audience sometime in the future? :)

[quote name='SpaceChick' timestamp='1365977615' post='2046941']

1 A bit embarrassing if I'm honest!!
2 Zazzle ;)

Edit to add link to t-shirt... I had it on a black tshirt.

http://www.zazzle.co.uk/yes_i_am_a_girl_text_only_play_bass_purple_tshirt-235291401826389991
[/quote]

Cheers for the link ;-)

Yey, I can officially post to this thread (well technically I should wait until past midnight but I'm sure you'll forgive me in my excitement) :D...................

[/quote]

Quality post , exactly what its all about , NEVER forget those shakes , it is what makes you feel alive, you are out of your comfort zone, learning and gaining so much confidence.

The Razors gig was an odd one last night , it was a pub/restaraunt and we couldn't start setting up until 9 so everything felt a bit rushed , not the songs , but we lost a bit of the feel by trying to cram our setlist in. the crowd loved what we did , they were dancing on the tables and chairs and we got repeat booking but we were loose for us. We were well cramped in mind , and it gets a bit loud on stage when you are squeezed, and any idea of moving around is an avoidance of clouting either the hi-hat , or a guitarist but we got paid and saw some great moves on the dance[s] floor [/s]tables . In all, worth playing, with a promise of bigger money next time and knowing what to expect it will pan out better.

went really well until i picked up my fretless for a couple of tunes

i spent last ten days or so setting it up thinking it sounded ok and when i plugged it in and started playing live it sounded dreadful all thin and weak

so i ditched it and went back to the trusty yamaha

good turnout for a thursday night - the venue managers were well pleased so i guess that means further invites back and we even snagged a booking for a private party :D

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1365621496' post='2042034']
Tuesdays is our local jam night and last night we had a Blues Brothers theme, it went great a bunch of us dressed up (I went as Duck Dunn, obviously) and The guy who runs it went to a lot of effort with his pall who between the two of them look the spit of Jake and Ellwood. I got to play Everybody Needs Somebody, Gimme Some Lovin, Peter Gunn Shake Your Tailfeather, I've been wanting to play Everybody... for years so was grinning after that.

Best bit is, the fellow who organised it has a taste for it now and is making noises about doing a proper tribute night at the venue.
[/quote]

have a word with your mate to check out Brothers Grimm if he is thinking of booking a tribute band ;) they are north kent based so not a million miles from east grimstead :D

[quote name='Bass Lady' timestamp='1365977061' post='2046933']
Debs, you sound happy and so you should be, we'll done!

2 questions:

What's it like having groupies?

Where can I get this t-shirt????
[/quote]

+1 to all this! :D

Sorry I am a bit late, but many congrats on your debut, Debs. :-)

[/quote]
Congrats! The more so for making a big impression right from the start. Doesn't get a lot better than that!

And my gig? Launceston Rugby Club final match of the season. They won, too, or at least there was a great deal of celebration of one sort or another going on! So crowded, we had no space to set up!
Got going just before 8 and away it all went. A blast! And the new Barefaced Super 15? Bloody amazing!

We were at The Waverley in Carisbrooke last night. When our singist asked for the lights to be turned down at the start of our set, the lights went OUT. And I mean darker than a miner's Mars bar. Couldn't see what I was doing, messed up a few times (so did the guitard), then (because our singer just calls out the songs rather than working from a pre-written set list) they started playing a Kinks tune that for some reason is played in a higher key (and we tune down half a step anyway... :blink: ) and is one that I haven't rehearsed with them. Squeaky bum time. Was busy though... :)

We played the Hop Pole Inn, Bromsgrove last night for the first time. A great little pub where the landlord has a passion for live music and all the regulars love it too!
Eleven songs in our set were played for the first time live! Considering this, all went well, and we had lots of great feedback and a repeat booking later in the year.

Played a wedding in the national botanical gardens of wales. A very posh do, lovely audience, very responsive and potentially 4 or 5 more wedding bookings. A good night all round, tried the new basses out and they were magnificent.

Shame the set is so standard, however many arrangement twist and tuns we put in,its cabaret isn't it. Good to play and get paid though.

No chance of taking the Buzzard or Stryker out soon :-/

New project in the pipeline should be real cool, looking forward to that kicking off, whilst I'm grateful for the Wedding work it just ot my bag. Thankfully the guys in he band are great fun make it a real breeze.

A good night all round.

Well it finally happened on Sat. The previous gig we'd played at the same venue had resulted in me being forced into a tiny playing space with headstock up against the side of a PA speaker. I'd pointed out to the singer that if he really wanted me to stay there it was an accident waiting to happen. Sure enough I started one song on Sat night which didn't sound right at all, singer turned round giving me a questionable look so I look at my fretting hand to see if I was playing the right notes. Of course what had happened was I'd inevitably finally caught one of the tuning ears on the side of the PA bin and knocked it out of tune. Managed to recover playing the bassline avoiding the problem string and retuned at the end of the song. It threw me a bit though and I was then retuning between every song just in case. Might suggest I set up on opposite side of the stage next time though the guitarist will just have the same problem as me as we both play right handed, at least his guitar neck is a bit shorter than mine!

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1366583621' post='2054607']
We played the Hop Pole Inn, Bromsgrove last night for the first time. A great little pub where the landlord has a passion for live music and all the regulars love it too!
Eleven songs in our set were played for the first time live! Considering this, all went well, and we had lots of great feedback and a repeat booking later in the year.
[/quote]

Let us know when your repeat booking is coming up. I'm near-ish to Bromsgrove and it would be great to see you play. :)

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1366650307' post='2055481']
Let us know when your repeat booking is coming up. I'm near-ish to Bromsgrove and it would be great to see you play. :)
[/quote]

Nice one Shell, it would be great if you could come. I think it's September sometime but I'll confirm and let you know nearer the time :)

Chris

Honestly? Not our best.

Thursday night was beset with technical difficulties starting with a very slippy floor under the drums so the kit moved forward as it was being played. Our guitarist helpfully turned round whilst playing to put a foot on the bass drum to stop it sliding which helped but somehow enraged a drunk female member of the audience who took it upon herself to sneak into the stage area (i.e. bit of floor) to ask the guitarist to turn round. We were all pretty stunned and didn't really have time to react before she left again!

This distraction coupled with the strange sounding PA put us off our game a bit and we didn't perform to our best.

Having said that, the audience seemed to like it with some nice comments and we've been booked back at the same venue for their summer garden party/band day and offered two more dates by the promoter. So maybe it wasn't full on terrible but we can do better.

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/russjm/media/Crisisme_zpsee297175.jpg.html][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/russjm/Crisisme_zpsee297175.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Awesome gig last night, happy with the general sound, plenty of nice comments. The Schecters really kicked some ass, and soooo happy to have gone back to Ashdown.........trouser flapping power.