Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Yup, this lot were right into it, Admiral Nelson, Twickenham!
Good payer and then the landlady put a pot round to get us to play on for a bit and that generated another £70 between us! Said a sad farewell to our stand in drummer, he played with us before so knew the set inside out. It's weird, he can be a bit flaky sometimes but is a cracking drummer, our regular guy who was with us from the start is a good drummer but has a great personality and is a good friend.....but musically I prefer to play with the other guy! What a dilemma!

Just home from my last gig with Not a Jukebox.

Bit of a strange night really. On the plus side was great to have support from the lovely Mr Fretbuzz :D

However, it was not our best gig.... The pub we were playing in have their own PA and sound guy and insisted that we all went through it.... However, this sound guy could not get the levels right in the sound check... We sorted ourselves, but as soon as we started the set he started coming up an tinkering.... He upped my bass a few times, so I have having to lower it on my bass as it was WAY too loud in the mix.

Also I was playing with new strings and so hated my sound as I hate new strings until they are bedded in. And I stuffed up the first little bass run down on Badge which arsed me off having a bass chat buddy there!!

That said, I feel a sense of completion at finishing this project, and look forward to my new challenges ahead :D

Done 3 gigs and a rehearsal this weekend; knackered!

Friday night in an Aylesbury Men's Club. Crowd were dreadful all night. Horribly static and literally no-one clapped, hollered or danced all night but after we played our last song and said 'thanks a lot, you've been great. Take care!' there were cries of 'encore!' ringing around the room and we ended up doing another 6 numbers. Bizarre. Got another 3 shows out of it and a bonus from the committee for playing longer than contracted. Really weird!

Saturday was a lovely olde pubbe in Hoddesden. Went down really well and had a blast. I'm starting to find my feet in the band and we're starting to feed of each others energies now. Rather than concentrating on playing the numbers right, I'm concentrating on making sure the show's good. Starting to enjoy myself more!

Sunday was a beer festival in Rickmansworth under and marquee in a pub carpark. Forgot to bring carpet with me so ended up on the tarmac. It was pretty terrible sound. I guess the tarmac reflects a lot of the mids all over the place and it being a breezy afternoon I struggled to hear the guitars or vocals and had a crappy show. Used a dep drummer for the gig also and he was just awful. Never played with a worse drummer in all my life. Felt ripped off when we paid him at the end of the gig!

All in all a good weekend; same again for the bank holiday but with 4 gigs instead of 3. Should be fun.

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1369092884' post='2084872']
Saturday was a lovely olde pubbe in Hoddesden. Went down really well and had a blast. I'm starting to find my feet in the band and we're starting to feed of each others energies now. Rather than concentrating on playing the numbers right, I'm concentrating on making sure the show's good. Starting to enjoy myself more!

Truckstop
[/quote]

Next time you are in Hoddesdon let me know, which pub did you play?

Busy weekend.
40th Birthday near Okehampton on Friday night, very good, more bookings will flow!
Saturday, 2 gigs. Another 40th from 7 until 8 in St Austell, then tear down and drive to the the Bugle Inn, in, er, Bugle, and be rocking at 9.30! And from both of these, yet more potential bookings, in Newquay!

Last weekend was the first gig since I told the band I was leaving, so it was a bit of an odd one. Everyone (bar the newish drummer, who I've failed to find any kind of rapport with) said they were sorry to see me go.

We'd been told all we needed to bring were mics, stands and monitors and could use the in-house PA. We spent ages trying to get all the mics to work through their PA and failed, so the drummer and I had to go without. The monitors wouldn't connect either - and one of their monitors was connected by a very dodgy connecter (little castle connector that kept falling out). In all in all, we weren't happy with our on-stage sound, as you'd expect.

We hadn't practiced for a few weeks and it showed. A few messy finishes and some ropey starts too, but we eventually found our feet.

It was also my first gig since my Orange Bass Terror had been mended. However, it kept fading out every couple of minutes for a bar or two and then faded back in. Disaster! Luckily I'd taken a back-up amp which was already plugged in and ready to go, so I was able to simply swap my lead from one to another between song. No-one even noticed (the other is a Hartke 200w, which just shows how much notice people give to tone at a pub gig!).

The pub was moderately full (and strangely there were quite a few girls there too), but the vast majority of people there were those we'd attracted (friends, work colleagues etc). Given that the place advertises itself as a music venue first, pub second, goodness knows how they keep going.

We finished to polite applause (no encore) and then the pub emptied within five minutes. On the plus side, we didn't have to play Sex on Fire or Living on a Prayer!

All-in-all, I'm glad I've only got one or perhaps two gigs left before I'm off to pastures new.

...and the amp is back at the repair shop. I hope it's ready and properly fixed for Saturday's gig. I'll be taking my back-up again and at least we'll be using our own PA.

Practice session for me last with the band. The regular drummer was away so the guitarist had got a "prospect" in, and my God was he good. As a newbie i'd only ever played with a couple of drummers but this guy was spot on and so easy to play bass with.
Naturally we begged him to join us but he reckons he might be moving out of the area soon.
Bottoms.........

Played at the Musician in Leicester last night for the first time. It seems to mostly does Blues, Folk and Country music but always sounds excellent from the audience.

Really good onstage sound which helped us play one of our very best shows to a small but appreciative audience. Lots of nice comments from the audience, the other bands on the bill and the sound engineer.

Here's a picture.

1st gig for my band in the Bullingdon in Oxford on Wednesday night.

It went well, we had one issue in the second song where my singers mike cut out half way through, so I had to step up and power my voice into it.

Was my first time singing live aswell and it was good. The sound was really clear in there and could hear everything we were doing and the sound guy was fantastic which really makes a difference in my opinion.

Got a few photos, taken from a mates phone, not great quality as they are post facebook upload.

Had a great fun as we booked a pub gig as a paid rehearsal for a guy that will be working with us thru the summer.
He is sheer quality...not surprisngly.. and will give a few new gears to go thru.
The number of times the old tired songs took off was very pleasing...but I can see we overdid it from the singers POV..
But as a 1st gig, that was allowed. :lol:

terrible.....just terrible :( started well, then the singer/guitarist made a few guffs in a couple of songs then pulled it back together after the song I sing and ended the first set on a bit of a high, second set...disaster......PA overheated about a minute into the first song and that was it...........dead, had to pack up under a cloud and drive the 50 miles home, pleased with my performance though on my second gig in donkeys years, oh well chalk it down to experience, :unsure:

I did a duo gig with a Brazilian singer guitar player and wasn't actually that comfortable with the sounds we were making. I did, however, record the gig on my new Zoom H1 and, listening back to it this morning, it is surprisingly tight and, in places, grooves like a mofo.

Played Edinburgh last night with Alright the Captain and Vasquez. I couldnt hear myself onstage which put a huge downer on it but we seemed to come across well. Vasquez and Alright the Captain are amazing and you should check them out if you like instrumental/math rock riffery!

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1369474968' post='2089566']
. I did, however, record the gig on my new Zoom H1 and, listening back to it this morning, it is surprisingly tight and, in places, grooves like a mofo.
[/quote]

It's a fab bit of kit isn't it :D

Couldn't manage without mine, we record all our rehearsals and all gigs, its amazing how it motivates you to work when there is no hiding from mistakes :P

Dick Venom & The Terrortones played the opening night of the Midlands Goth Festival at the Hare And Hounds in Birmingham. A bit of a mixed gig...

Absolute nightmare getting there. There was an accident on the M42 which closed the whole of the westbound carriageway and we got caught in the tail back. Spent 90 minutes virtually stationary and instead of arriving at the venue for 8.00 to play our set just after 9.00, we didn't arrive until just after 10.00. Luckily Pussycat and the Dirty Johnsons who should have been playing second, very graciously took the opening slot so that it was still possible for us the play.

By the time we'd got all our gear in and had grabbed a drink it was time for us to set up and play. I then discovered that due to a miscommunication between the organisers and the other bands there was only one speaker cab which we could use for either guitar or bass. Let our guitarist use the cab and DI'd the bass from my Pod into the PA. The bass sounded terrible on stage. By the time we'd actually got the bass to a level where I could hear, it the wedge monitors were producing a nasty low frequency rumble through the hollow stage. I spent too much of the gig looking at my hands because I couldn't actually hear any notes. Broke a string half way through the set (only the second time I've ever done this at a gig) and had to use the Rumblefish for the last 4 songs. Discovered two things: it feeds back like a bastard on the high-gain patches and I can't see the side dots on the neck wearing my mirror shades.

Still despite all these problems we went down really well. Our stand-in guitarist (to replace our latest full-time guitarist who is currently having bolts and other hardware removed from his arm) played a blinder. The audience loved it. Mr Venom got lots of attention from some members of audience. Sold a good number of CDs and other merch. Stayed to watch the awesome Vince Ripper & The Rodent Show and consequently didn't get back to Nottingham until just after 4.00 in the morning. Tired but happy. There were lots of people taking photos so I'll hopefully have some good ones to post soon. Next weekend Newcastle...

Edited by BigRedX

Our first time at the Blues Bar in Harrogate. We haven't rehearsed with the drummer for a while (he gigs in the South West throughout the spring and summer) so the first set wasn't perfect, but the audience were appreciative. Second set was better and we had them dancing on the chairs by the end of the night. Great venue, I hope they'll have us back. The two Compacts, which I though might be overkill for the small venue, sounded great.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1369483362' post='2089673']
Dick Venom & The Terrortones played the opening night of the Midlands Goth Festival at the Hare And Hounds in Birmingham. A bit of a mixed gig...

Absolute nightmare getting there. There was an accident on the M42 which closed the whole of the westbound carriageway and we got caught in the tail back. Spent 90 minutes virtually stationary and instead of arriving at the venue for 8.00 to play our set just after 9.00, we didn't arrive until just after 10.00. Luckily Pussycat and the Dirty Johnsons who should have been playing second, very graciously took the opening slot so that it was still possible for us the play.

By the time we'd got all our gear in and had grabbed a drink it was time for us to set up and play. I then discovered that due to a miscommunication between the organisers and the other bands there was only one speaker cab which we could use for either guitar or bass. Let our guitarist use the cab and DI'd the bass from my Pod into the PA. The bass sounded terrible on stage. By the time we'd actually got the bass to a level where I could hear, it the wedge monitors were producing a nasty low frequency rumble through the hollow stage. I spent too much of the gig looking at my hands because I couldn't actually hear any notes. Broke a string half way through the set (only the second time I've ever done this at a gig) and had to use the Rumblefish for the last 4 songs. Discovered two things: it feeds back like a bastard on the high-gain patches and I can't see the side dots on the neck wearing my mirror shades.

Still despite all these problems we went down really well. Our stand-in guitarist (to replace our latest full-time guitarist who is currently having bolts and other hardware removed from his arm) played a blinder. The audience loved it. Mr Venom got lots of attention from some members of audience. Sold a good number of CDs and other merch. Stayed to watch the awesome Vince Ripper & The Rodent Show and consequently didn't get back to Nottingham until just after 4.00 in the morning. Tired but happy. There were lots of people taking photos so I'll hopefully have some good ones to post soon. Next weekend Newcastle...
[/quote]

f***, f*** how did I miss this? Did you post it in the gigs section ? I should check that more often. I could have bloody walked there.
Again, f***.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1369506415' post='2089980']
f***, f*** how did I miss this? Did you post it in the gigs section ? I should check that more often. I could have bloody walked there.
Again, f***.
[/quote]

Sorry that you missed this. I try and post every one of our live performances in the gigs section. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/208509-dick-venom-in-newcastle-friday-31st-may/page__pid__2089997#entry2089997"]Here's the post for next week's gig in Newcastle[/url].

Take consolation in the fact that last night wasn't one of our better performances (although judging from today's Facebook posts the audience seem to have loved it), but we will be back in Birmingham soon - most likely at the [url="http://www.theadam.co.uk"]Adam & Eve[/url].

Edited by BigRedX

A couple of photos from Friday's gig:

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Dick%20Venom%20Live/8846896195_c03d328296_o_zps61a66db9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Dick%20Venom%20Live/8846895961_ec57829c95_o_zps9093d6ed.jpg[/IMG]

And a pretty good review [url=http://www.gigjunkies.com/band-reviews/midlands-goth-festival-first-night-at-the-hare-and-hounds-birmingham-uk-24th-may-2013/]here[/url].