Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Played at a dive on Saturday night for the first time, the sort of place where the bogs are full of people doing lines of coke etc.

Didn't get stabbed, or the van nicked, or a drunkard falling over expensive gear so all is well.

Managed to miss a verse from Sultans of Swing though, but knowone else noticed!

This weekend we did a mini tour of the highlands. Started in Aberdeen on the Friday. This was a general indie crowd and we thought we'd struggle (we are hiphop) but thankfully people seemed to enjoy it. We asked about and there seems to be very little of a hip hop scene in Aberdeen so it was a bit of a change for them On the saturday we played 'the insider festival' in aviemore. Great small festival which I'd never heard of. It was really cool as there was alot less of that hippie atmosphere you get at alot of these small festivals. Superb gig. Got some seriously good feedback, and a couple of (non-drunk) people saying we were the highlight of the weekend for them! Sunday night we were offered to do a few numbers at an open mic night. This was quite tricky though as this was quite a popular open mic night so we werent too sure how the regulars would react. WE set up, did a quick 15 minutes at the start then the open mic started. This went on for about an hour and a half before it was decided that we'd go back up and do another half hour. This again went down really well, sold some merch again and done some great networking!

Home last night at 2am absolutely knackered and covered in midgie bites!

Great weekend! Off to belfast for the next part of the tour!

[quote name='Thurbs' timestamp='1372072185' post='2121158']
Played at a dive on Saturday night for the first time, the sort of place where the bogs are full of people doing lines of coke etc.

Didn't get stabbed, or the van nicked, or a drunkard falling over expensive gear so all is well.

Managed to miss a verse from Sultans of Swing though, but knowone else noticed!
[/quote]By the sound of it never has the phrase '...still nobody died' been more relevant. :-)

Not a gig but a curious rehearsal last night. The band don't really do rehearsals but the singer found another potential guitarist for future use and we had a bit of a 'showcase' gig lined up this Sat so thought we'd better put the lad through some songs to make sure he was OK with everything. It soon became apparent he was far from OK with everything. From first 5 songs of first set he was already struggling with 2 of them. After another go at one of them he said something had 'gone' in his hand and he was starting to feel it bruising. Singer had a bit of a meltdown. Fortunately one of the other guitarists who plays most gigs popped in to see how he was doing and after a lot of phone calls he rearranged his Sat night out (girlfriend's birthday no less) so he can now do the gig instead of the new boy, huge relief all round. Singer still fuming in the pub afterwards. We basically wasted money hiring out the rehearsal space, the lad clearly wasn't ready despite being given 2 months to learn the set and he seemed to just bottle it, never seen anything quite like it before. So I had a wasted evening really and was out of pocket. Still it made me realise I'd got abit sloppy on one or two tunes and need to sharpen up a bit for the gig on Sat.

Last night at the latest local venue to be closing in the next couple of weeks an ours for just after it's due was pulled forward.

Packed night ... so WTF have you been previously? Not out supporting your local venue that's for sure!. Ah well you never know what you've lost 'til it's gone.

Gig went OK I suppose and ended well but I am getting really pissed off with the sh*te sound we are getting out front.

Last meeting we had I'm sure we agreed (at last) to stop relying on FOH for levels , drive the backline better and get light & shade from there,not expect Mr Sound to deal with it just leaving FOH to handle vox & some enhancement of acoustiv things like the kit. Tonight? The first set was IMV a feckin embarassment. Bass rig was running as intended and sounded good & punchy, but the guitars backline was down, going through the PA, and again IMVwith a sound that was all over the place You might have said 'why no soundcheck?' Well we did line checks and a quick run through and it's not as if it's the first time we've played there, but by the time the first set started the sound was not right and stayed that way, or worse, it seemed for the whole of set 1. Drummer was muttering in the break that all the backline was too loud and I had to say 'NO IT ISN'T' in fact if anything the guitars were to low. What he was getting & moaning about was what was coming through the PA and off the back wall.

Set 2 got better and ended with plenty of crowd participation and people coming uop asking where we are next. The answer to that is a couple of gigs mid/ end August and that is now it for the year.

I ought to try to find new gigs, but really canot drag myself to do so knowing what the sound will be like if / when we do get new places & show up fot the first one. It frustrates & embarasses me at the moment and I sadly donbt the band will continue much longer unless we can get something to change :(

For tonight crowd reaction to the gig would be 8/10 my satisfaction with the gig and where we are 'at' , however, struggles to even make 1/10

Edited by WalMan

Had a magic night at the Dublin Castle, the bill also featured the splendid Glasgow hip-hop outfit Hector Bizerk featuring BCer lefrash -great band and splendid bunch of people. Hot, humid night but we had an absolute blast and the crowd were brilliant. Back home at 4am, I felt like I'd been run over this morning but the unsolicited praise and thanks last night made it all worthwhile - I do love Camden.

no probs Steve, You guys are sounding good so it was a pleasure.

As for our gigs.... hmmmm, something missing.
Tonight was ok..one of better most recent ones.
Not where we wanted to be with some bigger shows coming up.
Both outdoor marquees have been hardwork, band-wise.

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1372475663' post='2126253']
Last night at the latest local venue to be closing in the next couple of weeks an ours for just after it's due was pulled forward.

Packed night ... so WTF have you been previously? Not out supporting your local venue that's for sure!. Ah well you never know what you've lost 'til it's gone.

Gig went OK I suppose and ended well but I am getting really pissed off with the sh*te sound we are getting out front.

Last meeting we had I'm sure we agreed (at last) to stop relying on FOH for levels , drive the backline better and get light & shade from there,not expect Mr Sound to deal with it just leaving FOH to handle vox & some enhancement of acoustiv things like the kit. Tonight? The first set was IMV a feckin embarassment. Bass rig was running as intended and sounded good & punchy, but the guitars backline was down, going through the PA, and again IMVwith a sound that was all over the place You might have said 'why no soundcheck?' Well we did line checks and a quick run through and it's not as if it's the first time we've played there, but by the time the first set started the sound was not right and stayed that way, or worse, it seemed for the whole of set 1. Drummer was muttering in the break that all the backline was too loud and I had to say 'NO IT ISN'T' in fact if anything the guitars were to low. What he was getting & moaning about was what was coming through the PA and off the back wall.

Set 2 got better and ended with plenty of crowd participation and people coming uop asking where we are next. The answer to that is a couple of gigs mid/ end August and that is now it for the year.

I ought to try to find new gigs, but really canot drag myself to do so knowing what the sound will be like if / when we do get new places & show up fot the first one. It frustrates & embarasses me at the moment and I sadly donbt the band will continue much longer unless we can get something to change :(

For tonight crowd reaction to the gig would be 8/10 my satisfaction with the gig and where we are 'at' , however, struggles to even make 1/10
[/quote]

Are you really sure the FOH is bad ?? It's not easy to know that when you are on stage and I have played plenty gigs that sound poor on stage due to room dynamics etc that people out front said sounded superb and really well balanced.

Edited by tonybassplayer

Outdoor music festival at a local pub, good weather and a good crowd too. First opportunity I've had to turn up my Little Mark III and 2x Aguilar 1x12 speakers really LOUD and was totally impressed by the monster sound I was producing. Band was on form and we had people dancing on the tables by the end of the set.

One of those gigs that makes it all worthwhile.

First time back at the pub that dropped all their live music when new management took over. One or two of the old regulars badgered them to bring us back to see how it would go so it turned out to be a bit of a 'showcase' gig and we knew we had to deliver. As it turned out we put in a pretty strong performance and the pub was absolutely heaving. So full the 'front line' was encroaching on band territory and making it a bit uncomfortable at times, had to watch when I was doing bv's as people kept walking into my mic stand and belting the mic against my mouth, could have lost a tooth at one point but narrowly avoided it. Very hot with such a full pub (no air con and we didn't use lights) so it was a 2 shirt gig.

[quote name='tonybassplayer' timestamp='1372575326' post='2127236']

Are you really sure the FOH is bad ?? It's not easy to know that when you are on stage and I have played plenty gigs that sound poor on stage due to room dynamics etc that people out front said sounded superb and really well balanced.
[/quote]I need to listen to the recording - done for the drummer due to dep with us next month - but sadly I fear so. Comment by WAGs yesterday suggests probably it was not great. :(

Played the launch party for White Dolemite's "The Salt" spoof soundtrack album for which we contribute the opening song. Did a different set from usual with some cheeky covers which seemed to go down well. I was a bit nervous about playing X-Rated Man since it's not exactly in the Terrortones normal style and the last time we played it was a year and half ago when we were in the studio recording it fro the album which was 2 drummers and 3 guitarists in the past! It turned out to be Mr Venom was the one who messed up missing out a good portion of the middle of the song, but we got through to end and no-one appeared to notice. Broke another string - that's 2 in less than 2 months - luckily at the last minute I decided to bring a spare bass and just as well!

Edit: Many thanks to headlining band for supplying the back line including a mighty looking TE rig. However I had real trouble getting any proper bottom end out of it. Normally when I plug my Pod into someone else's rig the first thing I have to do is dial out all the bass and low mid boost they have. This time I had the opposite problem. The sound was nearly all high mids and plenty of cut through to the point where I was turning down slightly after almost every song.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='tonybassplayer' timestamp='1372575326' post='2127236']Are you really sure the FOH is bad ?? It's not easy to know that when you are on stage and I have played plenty gigs that sound poor on stage due to room dynamics etc that people out front said sounded superb and really well balanced.[/quote]
[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1372595835' post='2127489']I need to listen to the recording - done for the drummer due to dep with us next month - but sadly I fear so. Comment by WAGs yesterday suggests probably it was not great. :(
[/quote]
... and yet there you go, not nearly as bad as I feared. Still think we're dragging too much sh1t to gigs and should let backline handle more of the light & shade (if that is something we can achieve with the set) and not have the PA roaring quite so much

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1372631650' post='2128007']

... and yet there you go, not nearly as bad as I feared. Still think we're dragging too much sh1t to gigs and should let backline handle more of the light & shade (if that is something we can achieve with the set) and not have the PA roaring quite so much
[/quote]

Surely the opposite is true. If you have a good PA set up with bass bins etc why not all scale down the back line and let the FOH handle the volume and dynamics and keep the on stage sound lower.

[quote name='tonybassplayer' timestamp='1372682770' post='2128454']
Surely the opposite is true. If you have a good PA set up with bass bins etc why not all scale down the back line and let the FOH handle the volume and dynamics and keep the on stage sound lower.
[/quote]...'cos I don't like what he does to my bass sound :rolleyes:

A few years back I went the whole hog and for a while ran a Bass POD xT Pro into the PA and relied on monitors, but then the others muttered about not 'feeling' / hearing the bass and so slowly gear onstage crept back in until I'm now running the Streamliner 6 & Barefaced S12T, occasionally with a volume pedal in the loop, and am happy with the sound, but am running the master on the amp at barely tick over (which always makes me wonder how others can run the STM 9 at gigs).

The PA is generally good kit, but sometimes (most times) there is just sooooo much of it, it seems ridiculous for the sort of venues we are doing (generally pubs) and can be a tad embarassing as more & more stuff gets piled in - particularly at a 'new' venue, added to which it takes so long to get up and running. A couple of months ago we had a gig at a new place and the sound guy was pre booked and couldn't make it, but put together a smaller rig to cover us. Now that night from my point of view went a lot better overall sound & level wise, just a pretty basic bass bins & tops on poles to handle vox & the kit. Used to get compliments for the sound, but somewhere along the way in recent years something has happened & I am not so convinced.

Perhaps it is just my subconcious pushing me to branch out to something new after decades with my mates in this lot (which I am doing with a second & at one point third part time bands + deps), but I don't want to lose that all the same. Sorry I'm turning this into a 'Dear Marge' corner! :lol:

From Saturday's gig:

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Dick%20Venom%20Live/994509_678524095496667_1408311319_n_zps2a98bb77.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Dick%20Venom%20Live/1014133_678523568830053_709305907_n_zpse64b3f18.jpg[/IMG]

Had an end of year gig last night for my HND course and it went simply abysmal.

We arrived on time and began setting up, quite a few of the group were missing and late, usual sort of thing. Then the other bass player walks in with only his electric guitar which he was only playing on one song! So first thing he says to me is "I'm using your bass tonight mate" Which I did not take kindly too! He claims he tried to contact someone to give him a lift so he could take both instead of cycling, he didn't contact me otherwise I'd have picked him up!

We then had a constantly changing and interrupted set as some people had only 1 song to perform due to not practicing their set fully. It all sounded rough and disjointed. I went on and played absolutely shockingly, worst I've ever played at a gig, constant mistake after mistake and just not able to hear myself or the drummer enough, was shocking!

Hopefully the next one will be better!

Great show last night. Closed event for a friends video shoot. We warmed the crowd :) Was with my new 2-piece, all improvised electronica act. Seriously... no rehearsals, no writing songs and no drum kit. This is the way forward!!!

[IMG]http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h44/pantherairsoft/KADE/KADElive2_zps0df1fd81.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by pantherairsoft

Played a small "festival". Was a really good turn out. Way too hot inside. As I'm setting up I noticed that the power adapter to my effect pedal had a cut so would only work in a certain position.
Then the battery in my 5 string died and I didn't have a back up so I had to switch to my 4 string.
Seemed to go down really well. I was a little bit drunk which seemed to relax me so I could have more fun with the songs