Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

I know my gigs don't really count as they are just jams but had a good one last night. My bro had a new song to do (Rory G, Messing with the kid) and told me before I left home so I had a run through of that to get it under my fingers. At the jam I went on pretty early and instead of playing 6-9 songs and then getting off to let the house band guy into his normal spot I stayed on till the end with the house band. Got to play some stuff I didn't know, and a really good version of ZZ Top Blue jeans blues. Ending up supporting 6 different guitarists/vocalists for their sets so about 20 songs in all. Glad I took my featherweight P bass instead of the Aria.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1374134529' post='2145556']
I hope they cut you in on the money if you were supporting so many different guests. Seems like the house band bassist got an easy night out of it!
[/quote]

They did not and I have no interest in the money, I did get a beer though. The other guy thanked me from his seat next to the aircon unit. :)

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1374134212' post='2145552']
I know my gigs don't really count as they are just jams but had a good one last night. My bro had a new song to do (Rory G, Messing with the kid) and told me before I left home so I had a run through of that to get it under my fingers.
[/quote]
Good to hear of somebody doing Rory stuff-we do Secret Agent sometimes.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1373993357' post='2143998']
For the outdoor gig last Sat I wore a pair of very thin black cotton trousers I usually reserve for foreign hols only and went commando. I found it quite a liberating experience. I think the fan at the back of the stage blowing cool air across to the drummer and me helped too though...
[/quote]
(1) Too much information?
(2) That's one very dedicated fan you have there - must be some special band!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WD_YCdxNCE

Our gig last saturday. Can't hear the bass too well on this clip sadly :( more footage on FB page if anyones interested [url="https://www.facebook.com/SmallTimeHero"]https://www.facebook.com/SmallTimeHero[/url]

Edited by icastle
Link Fixed.

I walked to our gig last night, in my local a couple of hundred yards away. i keep an amp down there for jams etc, so took rucksack of leads and a couples of basses. The rest of the band drove though! Hottest gig this year, soaked after 2 or 3 songs.

1st gig with my 2nd band, but was in a pukka music venue rather than setting up in the corner of the local. WHAT A BLAST! Such a wonderful sight to see a packed venue all jumping about, punters falling over themselves to get to a mic and sing along. I reckon we could have played all night if we had more songs ready to roll! Maan I wanna go back there!!! :D

Fox and Hounds, Stony Stratford, I salute you!

Tottyville at a nice marquee'd party.

We had some London orchestra musicians in and they liked the band.
We even had a principal piano player from the Roya; Ballet who we wanted to get up onstage but
she was in the middle of 5 weeks of downtime from a tour or whatever and didn't want to touch a keyboard...:lol:

I wish we knew more at the time as we would have tried harder to involve them ...but hopefully the
gig plugged us into some more of those sort of parties...

went to a small local pub last night lobster pot - apparently they have had some issues with the local council and noise orders and all that tosh so the regular corner of the main bar they use for bands was out of bounds as that being the section of the pub nearest to the nimby neighbours

which meant we were moved to a small side room off the main bar at other end of pub - our frontspersons were in the gap/opening into the bar and the rest of us all hidden around the corner - french doors out to table and chairs at pavement so punters outside looking in - fireplace open from bar through to the side room so we ended up placing on PA speaker in the fireplace pointing through into the main bar - thumper remembered to bring his own fan and we had four fans altogher in our 3m x 5m space - appreciative and friendly crowd shaking their thang about and thankfully we didnt get peter andre trying to gatecrash the after party

Edited by steve-bbb

Good one for us last night. I certainly put in a better performance than last week, thankfully.

The only duff note from me was the result of a scarily large mozzie settling on my fretting hand, resulting in me screaming like a girl, fingers exiting the fret board and walloping the open E string on the way. :o Bandmates looked some what shocked and bewildered.
Other than that, all good.

I played at the Stable bars, Kilkhampton near Bude last night it was a good night if a little quiet. Most of the punters stayed outside. I would have done the same probably as it was so nice out.

We had a few up dancing. There was a very strange incident with one enthusiastic dancer though. She ran up to dance when we started playing 20th century boy. She was leaping and thrashing around like there was no tomorrow! She then lost her balance and stumbled from about 20 feet away into my stage area! Fell across my pedal board, smacked her head on the lighting rigs foot controller and stumbled off again. I plugged everything back in and carried on playing.
She came up to us when we were packing up to apologise by which time we had discovered she had smashed one of the foot switches on the lighting rig controller, with her head. She complained of having a sore head! Aint alcohol great!

I was chatting to pleasant chap at the end and he asked 'if the drums were miked up?' no, not they were not miked up. 'the bass was miked up though', no, the bass wasn't miked up, 'really? wow'

That made me smile.

[quote name='deanovw' timestamp='1374402112' post='2148297']
We had a few up dancing. There was a very strange incident with one enthusiastic dancer though. She ran up to dance when we started playing 20th century boy. She was leaping and thrashing around like there was no tomorrow! She then lost her balance and stumbled from about 20 feet away into my stage area! Fell across my pedal board, smacked her head on the lighting rigs foot controller and stumbled off again. I plugged everything back in and carried on playing.
She came up to us when we were packing up to apologise by which time we had discovered she had smashed one of the foot switches on the lighting rig controller, with her head. She complained of having a sore head! Aint alcohol great!
[/quote]

:o :lol: :o :lol: :o :lol:

:useless: :useless:

Edited by steve-bbb

Cocktail bar wall to wall with MILF.

Got asked to do this gig with some of my band and a bit of someone elses. So, bit out of comfort zone. Learned a big lesson.

My band spend a lot of time getting things right for gigs. Yet we turn up last night and blag our way through and get an equally good reaction.

Moral of the story is that rehearsing is a waste of time...

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1374424106' post='2148562']

Moral of the story is that rehearsing is a waste of time...
[/quote]

Aha , the code of the lead guitarist :D

We played twice this weekend and last night and everyone said how good the solos were , I guess the fact we had a 'practice' gig on the friday helped made it a bit easier to remember what to pull out of the bag of notes he carries around :lol:

I have to say though , this roasting weather seems to be emptying the pub scene , we took a few to both gigs and without them both venues would have been empty .

Played my first 2 gigs ever on Friday night and Saturday afternoon.

Friday at the O2 Academy was fantastic, atmosphere was unbelievable, mix was top notch and we nailed our set
Saturday at the Astral Coast Festival was OK, we played the best we have to date but the sound and lighting guys weren't the best, neither was the atmosphere

Roll on next weekend! :)

Played to seated audience at a country music club in a village hall last night. Took a huge risk by singing the first verse and chorus of the opening song (country gospel number Wayfaring Stranger) completely unaccompanied, added guitar for the second verse, then bass player and drummer walked on and picked up the rest of the song. Then played lots of trad country. Went down a storm!

Dep bass player did us proud - cheers Graham!