Why become a member? ×

How was your gig last night?

bassninja

Like Kev B I had a bit of a shocker last night, well just the middle set really and typically that was when a few of the local musos had turned up for a look.

Just couldn't seem to focus, then had a little brain blank , hit a duff note and then hit it again :unsure:

I had a flask of proper filter coffee stashed in my car, so had three cups in the break, then feeling recharged and a little wired, had a good last set.

Deb, so glad your debut gig was a good one. :)

A couple of photos from last night!

I'm still buzzing, it was AWESOME!!

Apparently a major hotel group is interested in us for themed nights :D

[IMG]http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af313/phillipwjones/2013-07-1221-48-26_zps444713bb.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af313/phillipwjones/2013-07-1221-58-18_zpsbb262441.jpg[/IMG]

We played a blinding couple of sets to about a dozen people. When we were booked they hadn't considered the effect of a local festival and town carnival on the same weekend. Still, we got paid, enjoyed ourselves and brought a little pleasure into the lives of those who were there. Rebooking likely, hopefully at a quieter time of year.

Really good, played a summer fete in the next village, was silly hot but I had a big 2ltr bottle of water so was okay.

Crowd were up for it and were up and dancing in the second half - probably helped that the food stalls were packing up as we arrived but the beer tent was open until the end.

I played pretty well, odd duff note but I played through and I'm not sure many people noticed.

Best bit was as it was an early gig - on about half 6, finished about 8; my wife came and brought both our daughters with her, the older (4) loves seeing me play anyway so she had a great time but this was the first time the younger (20 months) had seen me and enjoyed it rather than just crying / sleeping through it.

Also, the band leader ended the evening by confirming what I'd suspected over the last couple of months that rather have me in as a dep he's going to split the gigs half and half between me and the other guy as he's got a lot of other commitments at the moment. It's the best possible result from my perspective, I get a decent number of gigs but am not out every weekend and the other guy, who's a mate, still plays too.

My youngest watching the band

After a poor gig on Friday normal service was duly resumed last night. Outdoors under a tarpaulin and scoffolding erected stage to a crowd of people celebrating an amateur football clubs half century. We needed to move out a bit of unnecessary DJ gear from the back of the stage so we could fit in. Was a bit snug but no worse than some of the pokey areas we have played in. Everyone seemed to have a good time and the organiser got up to do a song with us. He seemed well happy after the gig and would have us back for future events. We were also on fairly early so even though we played two full sets I was all packed up and home by midnight, job done. I don't usually blow my own trumpet but I thought last night me and the drummer really started to gel and generally held the thing together pretty tightly.

God, so hot last night! Sweaty Betty or what!

Anyway, gig was good. For the first set and a half we were met with polite applause and a couple of people tapping their feet and then suddenly the pub filled up with loads of young people and the joint was rocking! Did 4 encores and had to finally stop at 12.30 when the plug was pulled (metaphorically speaking!).

Enjoying my tone at the moment too. Have been fiddling with my settings for a while and I think I'm just about happy with it all. P/J 50/50 blend on the pups, flat EQ on the combos with the bass turned down an 8th and the aural enhancers on 10 o'clock. Plenty of meat, slight mid bump and crisp treble too.

Gigs are picking up too. We got 7 bookings off the back of this weekends shows and it's starting to look like we're working 3 nights a week for the rest of the summer! Hopefully we'll be able to command big bucks for Xmas and New Years and start looking at festivals for next summer too.

Truckstop

Final performance of West Side Story last night and we just about nailed it after struggling all week with Mr Bernstein's nightmare score. Many of the audience didn't realise it was a live band playing as we were out of sight backstage so it must have sounded ok.
This was my third time playing this show and I'm not sure if I want to go for four. Still, I've got Starlight Express and Copacabana coming up. Should be a nice change.

Myk

Pretty damned good, last night. Sound check in the afternoon,on a tiny stage in the old school quadrangle. A tiny PA, but the sound fellow insisted on micing up absolutely everything..! See pic...

[attachment=139052:DSC00318.JPG]

Once we'd played a couple of songs all together, he got the message, I think, and kept just the vocals and a touch of kick FOH.
First gig for 'Giggles', too; see pic...

[attachment=139053:DSC00316.jpg]

...We went on at 23h30, for 1 hour. It's the traditional 13/14 July village fête here in France, and the whole town was in attendance. We followed on from a whole series of street acts and acrobats (very talented, too...), and the quadrangle went from almost empty to overflowing in a couple of minutes. At the end of our set, there were even more folks present (result..!). We shot a Handycam video; I'll post it if it comes out OK. We went down very well, despite a great deal of honking and whistling from the PA and foldback; when the set was over there was much clamour for us to continue, but we had to go by the evening's timetable and give way to the following act (vinyl DJ...), who continued to heat up an already hot evening.
Tear-down went smoothly, despite the sound level from the DJ (much, much louder even than all of us..!); the tour bus loaded, and that's the end of our 'World Tour, 2013'. A good season; some fine memories. What's next..? Who knows...

Pretty damned good last night, all things considered.

First time out with the new lineup, in the back garden of a local pub - new drummer, and new lead vox...literally - she'd never sung in front of an audience before!

A few bum notes, mostly (on my part, at least) due to paying too much attention to the new vox and waiting for her pleading "gimme a cue" look. That's my excuse, anyhow !

Still, a good turn out, all bopping about and drinking plenty = a happy landlord, and a repeat booking for the autumn :)

[size=4]Wedding gig last night in Bristol. [/size]
[size=4]Well I say gig... There were loads of muso's in attaendence so the groom formed secret 'supergroups' by giving people a song to learn about a week ago[/size]
[size=4]and then last night when we went on stage we found out who we were playing with![/size]
[size=4]I got 'Tightrope' by Janelle Monae - great track and a lovely bassline. Got to play with some really cool people and all the 'bands' were really good considering [/size][size=4]no-one had had the chance to rehearse. :)[/size]

Edited by chaypup

Had a bit of a festival weekend...The Newt Beer Fest on Friday... Played pretty early & partied till the sun came up! :blink:[size=4] [/size]
Then on to a little Woodstock themed party near Churchinford for Saturday.... Lovely bunch of people & such a sweet vibe that we ended up staying over there too... B)[size=4] A good time had by all![/size]

Had a fantastic gig last night to close the lewisham people's festival playing bass with
Musical Youth.
The crowd were fantastic and it was great to see their faces as they recognised
the old classic reggae tracks we played by Bob Marley, Dennis Brown, Sugar Minott and the musical youth charting singles fom their heyday.

Jazzyvee

Last night was absolutely amazing! Jam packed full of people just to see us ..
.as mentioned elsewhere it was a one off reunion of a Stereophonics tribute band :ph34r: .....

we were helping raise funds for the landlady who is leaving after 17 years due to Punch Taverns being money grabbing swindling ar*h*l*s.

We played really well to say we haven't played together for four years and the whole night was a "love fest"....the pub sold out of beer....no draught lager or cider...no bottled cider or "alcopops"...just a few bottles of bud left in the fridge.
The landlady was in tears....of joy... and insisted on paying us even though we tried to not take a fee....loved every minute of it!

Gig at the Maze in Notts with Meta-stasis. Full of issues. Turned up and there was no bass cabs. It was agreed they would be provided. Back to studio to get mine.

Speaker cable broke after the first track so only had my 1x15 which dosnt work so well for all the slap I do :D

Headline bands can exploded and they nearly didn't play. Sorted it in the end though.

Saturday in Kirkcaldy with Dick Venom & The Terrortones.

Set off early at 10.30 for the long drive with a quick stop off near Newcastle to pick up our dep drummer for the night. Arrive in Kirkcaldy just after 6.00

One of our Nottingham fans is from the area and had been telling us all sorts of dire tales about the place, so imagine our surprise when the roads in are tree-lined and full of large houses. The venue - The Windsor Hotel - is on a pleasant and rather posh-looking street. You never quite know what to expect from venues with "hotel" in the name, I played some where the "stage" is a few square metres in the corner of the main room. This one was a large function room with a massive proper stage and its own bar.

Quick soundcheck which is actually the first time we've played with the drummer, and everything sounds good. The promoter gets our rooms for the night in the hotel sorted out and orders us pizzas and gives us a crate of beer. Life is good.

We're on last of 4 bands. Early on the in evening the crowd is looking a bit sparse. T In The Park is also on, and not all that far away. However come 11.00 when we start it's filled up a bit more and everyone appears to up for a good time. Play a blinder. Our dep drummer is fantastic, especially since we've only met him once before and until the soundcheck we'd never played a note together, he's learnt the whole set from our two EPs and a reasonably decent live recording from a recent gig. There's a couple of iffy moments towards the end of the set, but we get through them - even a painfully slow "StickyPants Trance". The big stage allows us to throw some serious rock n roll shapes, Mr Venom is bouncing around all over the venue. The audience love us and then we realise that we don't have anything we can do as an encore. So we go back and have another go a StickyPants this time at the right speed, but somewhere towards the end the drummer gets lost so the last chorus seemingly goes on forever... Still no-one other than us notices.

Afterwards we get lots of compliments. Sell CDs and T-shirts and proceed to drink nearly all the decent whiskey (which was ridiculously cheap) in the bar. End up sat on the fire escape on the roof of the hotel finishing off our crate of beer. Leisurely start next morning, first find somewhere to get breakfast and take it easy driving back to Nottingham, dropping our drummer off on the way. Home just before 8.00 in the evening.

A quick word about our dep drummer for the gig. The guy was a complete star. IMO it's much harder to be a dep in a band that's not doing covers, because to a certain extent you could damage their reputation if you don't nail the parts, and of course you have to learn all the set from scratch. Our songs sound deceptively easy, but pretty much every one of them has either weird bard counts, missing beats, unexpected stops and starts or non-standard structures, and he pretty much nailed it all. Even Mr Venom missing out sections in one song barely put him off. And that was all from a couple of weeks of working with song recordings we sent him. He was fitted in well with the band and we all got along and had a great gig. And if we ever found ourselves needing a dep again we'd not hesitate to call him. Another drummer we used last year would do well to take note...

There were lots of people taking photos of the gig so I expect I'll be posting some later on...

Edit: This is the only one I've found so far:

Second Edit: Here's another:

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Dick%20Venom%20Live/999025_10151705416224354_512526832_n_zps2ea75da5.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by BigRedX

More photos from Kirkcaldy:

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Dick%20Venom%20Live/946934_574346589283833_1510514492_n_zps26871757.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Dick%20Venom%20Live/999655_574346492617176_813480834_n_zpscfbd541e.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Dick%20Venom%20Live/988252_574347175950441_1957674071_n_zpsfb8faad3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Dick%20Venom%20Live/58115_574346975950461_1075722060_n_zps19e762ed.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Dick%20Venom%20Live/68303_574347432617082_1620925408_n_zps6087c4cb.jpg[/IMG]

Courtesy of [url=https://www.facebook.com/DaveClark85Photography]Dave Clark Photography[/url]

For the outdoor gig last Sat I wore a pair of very thin black cotton trousers I usually reserve for foreign hols only and went commando. I found it quite a liberating experience. I think the fan at the back of the stage blowing cool air across to the drummer and me helped too though...