Why become a member? ×

Sold a bass

Golchen

This is not a total regret for me, as 1) I do prefer my current bass and 2) I needed the cash for my ‘dream’ guitar. But those two points aside, I really wish that I still had my Status S2 to play.

I was listening to a couple of old recordings that I did, and the active sound was fantastic (to my ears). It had a certain unique feel as well with the graphite neck. I have to admit that I really liked practicing in a darkened room with the LEDs on as well. Good times .............

Sold anything and regretted it?

Yep, and I just bought it back from its third BC owner! My Vicious/Ramones-alike CIJ P-bass "Sid". I always loved playing it but got suckered into an 'upgrade'. Eventually realised I preferred the CIJ bass to its more expensive and sw***y US-made brethren (good though they were).

Difficult to say exactly why I like this bass so much but it just feels as comfy as an old worn pair of slippers (albeit slippers with a 34 inch scale length and 4 strings!)

Edit: Sid on left; also I love the auto-correction on the word sw anky!

Edited by Clarky

Strangely, the one I thought I'd really miss, I don't at all. I sold a couple of very good basses a year ago to fund a practically mint 1990 Status SII in cocobolo & cherry wood. I had the original preamp reinstalled & a full service/fret dress at Status & it came out as good as new. Curiously, it then sat in it's case for about a year. I somehow preferred the sound of the newer S2-Classic models I play now.

The one I'll always miss is my original Status SII #402. There was something special about that one - It resides in the USA now & the current owner is just as smitten as I was for 16 years of ownership. Maybe it'll be back some day...

Well I didn't sell it but I gave my brother my 1974 Gibson EB3 as I hadn't gigged it for years. Yet everytime I hear Cream or Free, I just really want to get the sound of an old school Gibson bass.

Then I remember that it was neck-heavy, heavy in general, had a poor bridge design, poor intonation past the 12th fret no matter how many adjustments were made, and couldn't really be used for anything downtuned due to the shortened neck length and poor intonation. What a tone though! Whatever they are, they are unique.

Not to mention....................

Epiphone Crestwood
Yamaha MSG Custom
Hamer Steve Stevens
Selmer T&B 50,Constellation,Zodiac,all in Croc skin
Marshall JTM 45
Fender 135 Bassman head and 2 x15 cab
Ibanez 6 + 12
2 x Marshall Mercurys + a Marshall Capri.all in red.
Valve Watkins copy cat in blue and white
Peavey 400w head............................................ :)

Yes!

Deep regrets about selling a near matching pair of Steinberger L2s they were a few hundred serial numbers apart and both in near perfect condition with strap pivots and plug-in leg rests. I sold them far too cheap too.

Phil :)

...said to myself on the only other day I shouldn't have sold my Foto Flame MIJ Japan P bass - t'was lovely.

Also, in another guitar galaxy (6 string) I had a beautiful natural 1987 Gibson 335 and I traded it for a 73 EB0 bass which I've since traded for something else. I miss that 335 soooo much and was a total plonker.

Listed above are all the reasons that I've never sold a bass!

Flogged a few fx and bits, but never a bass. Given that I spend an inordinate amount of time selecting instruments, I normally get good 'uns.
If I need to finance a new one, I'll wait, or find another (legal) way to pay for it!

1. A mint condition JV 57 Precision - one of the first to arrive in the UK (big Fender, low JV serial). px'd against a 82 US Jazz. K**b

2. 1990 Stingray 4 2EQ. To buy a Sterling.............why?

3. 2002 Stingray 5. Probably the only 5er I've ever liked. Sold to fund my Streamline, still miss it, sniff.

4. Beat up 1996 MIM Jazz - did about 300 gigs with it, sold it to buy a Warwick.............hey Ho.

Only bass I've ever sold was a MIJ Fender '62 reissue Jazz bass in sonic blue, although it was lighter than normal and had hints of surf green. Unfortunately it didn't grab me at all and I moved it on. Kind of wish I still had it just so I could have tried it with flats. Also have a MIJ p-bass that I had defretted because it wasn't getting much use. It's still nice but it had a really nice, resonant p-bass sound that would've been perfect to slap some TI flats on and a foam mute.

Debated selling a Rickenbacker 4003 for years before I finally fell in love with it. I would SERIOUSLY regret it now if I had sold it back then.

sold a beautifull overwarter custom deluxe (IIRC) 5. was a heavy player at the time and the overwater was deffinitly one where you 'coax' the tone out.

playing how i play now it would suit me down to the ground, but as with most, the sale paid for other great things so swings and roundabouts :)

A pair of 1979 B.C.Rich Bich 8 string basses in 1993,one of them I hated,the other one I loved,skip forward a bucketload of years and in 2005/6 one of them (The one I hated),came home,now I love it,the one I loved,I got the option to buy,but there is headstock damage,and I don't love it THAT much!

Ibanez Roadstar II,although I can't actually remember selling it?????????

Loads of Washburn Statii

and regret NOT buying an ESP Lake Placid Blue Precision bass for £150!!!!!!,it was a killer bass

My 90s MIJ Fender precision in shell pink with maple fretboard, Riverhead Jupiter used on my very first demo when I was19, Lava Pearl Stingray 5 string with white scratchplate and pickup, my 'Flea' 5 string stingray in black, 30th anniversary stingray, Ibanez SR1036 (or something like that)

Not a huge list given the amount of basses I've owned but these are the ones I would have again if I could find them and had the money at the time

2008 USA Precision (new type) Oly White/Rosewood Black guard and Tort....bought from Clarky. Sold to Jigster....then regretted it but picked up another pretty quickly thats also an absolute belter (2009 Sunburst/Rosewood/Tort).

All it needs now is for the Fender strings to die so I can put on the TI flats that are waiting for it. The Fender strings are actually quite nice so Im in no rush :)