Why become a member? ×

1 in 1 Out And An Argument No Doubt!!

J3ster

For me,

Under-rated:

Cliff William (AC/DC) brackets say it all really! Flawless delivery evertime! Locks in well with Phill Rudd enabling the front men to do their thing! Very simple music and bass lines but...it's music and Cliff is the traditional rock bassist!

Over-rated:

Well, Wooten would have been mine too so other than him...Manring why? although he pushes the boundaries further than most, I lose interest within seconds! He is more mechanical/technical to me than a flowing natural player.

andy

[quote name='SteveK' post='703850' date='Jan 7 2010, 09:45 AM']I wouldn't argue that :)

I'm reminded of a record that I played on in 1981, which, incidentally, made number 6 (IIRC) in t'charts. There's a line in the chorus, octaves played from root, Maj 3rd, 5th. One time I accidentally played a b5. Went back in to the control room to apologize for my goof, and [i]could I do it again[/i]. Producer said it was perfect (?) and I should do it again, and [i]this time[/i] play the b5 every time...
Who was I to argue with Tony Visconti.[/quote]

Ha Visconti is known for that, Trevor Boulder's (very under rated player) early move to the chorus in Jean Genie where you can hear Bowie say "get back on E" is another example. That b5 on Decadent Days is pretty nasty though Steve, but who is one to argue with Tony Visconti?

[quote name='gnasher1993' post='703374' date='Jan 6 2010, 08:04 PM']- Paul McCartney (sorry excuse for a bass player, sorry)[/quote]

Yes, a million times yes and don't be sorry. Me and a bass playing buddy are both of the opinion that he played what George Martin told him too, which is why his post Beatles line are totally different (see lame). Of course opinions vary with regard to Macca, especially in the US where he is revered and any mention of a bad word against him gets you branded as a troll.

So....

Under rated Trevor Boulder
Over rated Sir Paul Smug Bugger.

To the OP John Taylor....................................................(wait for it)...................................................is a mighty fine player, end of.

[quote name='andy67' post='703951' date='Jan 7 2010, 11:22 AM']For me,

Under-rated:

Cliff William (AC/DC) brackets say it all really! Flawless delivery evertime! Locks in well with Phill Rudd enabling the front men to do their thing! Very simple music and bass lines but...it's music and Cliff is the traditional rock bassist![/quote]

Completely agree that Cliff is very very underrated but the basslines are only simple harmonically the way they fit the song and support everything else is a fine example of bass playing. I have never seen a covers band do a really convincing ACDC cover its one thing getting the notes right but quite another thing getting the feel

[quote name='ezbass' post='703978' date='Jan 7 2010, 11:52 AM']Ha Visconti is known for that, Trevor Boulder's (very under rated player) early move to the chorus in Jean Genie where you can hear Bowie say "get back on E" is another example. That b5 on Decadent Days is pretty nasty though Steve, but who is one to argue with Tony Visconti?

[b]
Did Visconti play bass on The man who sold the World - some fantastic bass playing on that
[/b]

Yes, a million times yes and don't be sorry. Me and a bass playing buddy are both of the opinion that he played what George Martin told him too, which is why his post Beatles line are totally different (see lame). Of course opinions vary with regard to Macca, especially in the US where he is revered and any mention of a bad word against him gets you branded as a troll.[/quote]

before I came tio this forum I always thought Paul Mccartney was considered one of the best pop bass players I'm actually quite suprised that people slag him off as I love his stuff with the Beatles .The bassline to baby your a rich man was one of the first lines which I heard that didnt just go thump thump thump

Edited by thunderbird13

Underrated - Hieronymus Squidge of Goof and the Bassett Fairy Cakes. His innovative use of hammer and electric drill is truly wonderful.

Overrated - his successor in the band, Antsnam Pantsnam, who modelled all of his basslines on the first movement of John Cage's Four Thirty-three.

[quote name='Rayman' post='703894' date='Jan 7 2010, 10:28 AM']Overrated:
The Wombles. They're useless, I've been to Wimbledon, and it's covered in empty beer cans and crisp packets.[/quote]

Thats overground......
The Wombles also did underground.

Garry

[quote name='Alfie' post='703750' date='Jan 7 2010, 12:58 AM']Underrated- Guigsy... honestly.

Overrated- Tom Kennedy, the only gig I have ever fallen asleep during. Although in Kennedy's defence it was mostly the 15 minute Dave Weckl drum solos that did for me.[/quote]

I'm sorry,but I'm not letting this one slip by without comment.
As much as I love Jaco and Victor,I'm used to hearing them being slagged off-but Tom Kennedy???????
The guy is just an absolute monster player on both electric and upright.

And as for Weckl- he's all kinds of awesome.

[quote name='Alfie' post='703750' date='Jan 7 2010, 12:58 AM']Overrated- Tom Kennedy, the only gig I have ever fallen asleep during. Although in Kennedy's defence it was mostly the 15 minute Dave Weckl drum solos that did for me.[/quote]

Not sure TK is overated,
And to be honest never seems to get a mention on Basschat.
A fine Musician indeed.

So out of curiosity who did make you fall asleep , DW or TK?
Or the whole gig in general?

Garry

[quote name='Stingray5' post='704198' date='Jan 7 2010, 02:15 PM']What, no Sting? :rolleyes:
I'd have thought at least the Macca nay-sayers would have had him hung drawn and quartered long before now... :)[/quote]
Andrew (the arrtist formerly known as metaltime) has some interesting views on Sting, give him a shout.

[quote name='lowdown' post='704201' date='Jan 7 2010, 02:17 PM']Not sure TK is overated,
And to be honest never seems to get a mention on Basschat.
A fine Musician indeed.

So out of curiosity who did make you fall asleep , DW or TK?
Or the whole gig in general?

Garry[/quote]

It was probably the combination of a little bit of wine, the 2am second set and a large dollop of bang, bang, bosh, crash, cowbell.

But I still don't like TK, too many notes. Just find a couple you like and play them well... like Guigsy.

[quote name='ezbass' post='703978' date='Jan 7 2010, 11:52 AM']Ha Visconti is known for that, Trevor Boulder's (very under rated player) early move to the chorus in Jean Genie where you can hear Bowie say "get back on E" is another example. That b5 on Decadent Days is pretty nasty though Steve, but who is one to argue with Tony Visconti?

Yes, a million times yes and don't be sorry. Me and a bass playing buddy are both of the opinion that he played what George Martin told him too, which is why his post Beatles line are totally different (see lame). Of course opinions vary with regard to Macca, especially in the US where he is revered and any mention of a bad word against him gets you branded as a troll.

[b]What abou tthe bass line on Silly Love Songs- I wonder how many on this forum could come up with that? Crap Song though
[/b]
So....

Under rated Trevor Boulder
Over rated Sir Paul Smug Bugger.

To the OP John Taylor....................................................(wait for it)...................................................is a mighty fine player, end of.[/quote]

[quote]Ha Visconti is known for that,[/quote]
Indeed! I also recorded an album with him in '81 (same singer)
He was an absolute joy to work with. Always positive, and always trying for something different...A legend!

[quote]Under rated Trevor Boulder[/quote]
Funnily enough, did a handful of gigs with him (Uriah Heep) just before Christmas. He may be "underrated", but he sure as hell isn't under powered :)

[quote]Did Visconti play bass on The man who sold the World - some fantastic bass playing on that[/quote]
Quite possibly, he was a bass player before turning to knob twiddler.

+

me. In every original material band I´ve played bass in, I have created or adapted bass lines which have ususally raised the music a couple of notches, as they were created to suit the song.

-
me. Playing ridiculously fast for no apparent reason through lots of distortion with piched harmonics makes me far happier than it should.