Why become a member? ×

Macca on X Factor

Clarky

I suppose we're starting to tread into unknown territory these days with more (post-Cliff) rockers getting into their 60's and 70's. There' no real precedent for how they shold behave or what they should do. In many cases it gets a bit cringeworthy to me. Johnny Cash pulled it off IMO.

Edited by thinman

[quote name='Clarky' post='683409' date='Dec 13 2009, 09:14 PM']a mahoosive Mesa stack, powered by a couple of Mesa 400 heads.[/quote]

Got called downstairs to see this and my eye went straight to the stack. Nice. His voice is a bit ropey and his hair made him look bizarre but he's still out there doing it.

Why was he there? Has he got some new product to sell? He certainly didn't need the fee :)

[quote name='TRadford' post='683419' date='Dec 13 2009, 09:23 PM']Ah ok, made me smile, some people slate ashdown a bit, yet if its good enough for Macca, its could enough for me![/quote]

yeah but wasnt using the lower priced models by Ashdown, the uber cheap ones are crap but aint nothing wrong with ashdown.
i prefer the likes of trace elliot, hartke, fender bassman ect ect but ashdown would be in my top 20 lol :)

[quote name='thinman' post='683448' date='Dec 13 2009, 09:45 PM']I suppose we're starting to tread into unknown territory these days with more (post-Cliff) rockers getting into their 60's and 70's. There' no real precedent for how they shold behave or what they should do. In many cases it gets a bit cringeworthy to me. Johnny Cash pulled it off IMO.[/quote]

Johnny Cash is probably the greatest example of an artist being at a career peak (or failing that, one of them!) with age & I grew up listening to him. It's an interesting thing. Undoubtedly McCartney was much cooler in the Beatles but then I'd hate for somebody to tell me to stop playing because I hit a certain age. I didn't see his performance tonight but that mandolin tune he did recently (Dance Tonight) showed he still has something to offer.

[quote name='Moos3h' post='683488' date='Dec 13 2009, 10:22 PM']Oh joy, yet more Beatles-love...just what we need.

I find it similar in nature to those people who can't mention England playing football without talking about 1966.

I appreciate there are many many fans out there, but as you might have guessed, I'm not one.[/quote]
I am not a Beatles fan either. But I know plenty are, hence my post. Just spreading good cheer at this festive time of the year :)

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='683491' date='Dec 13 2009, 10:23 PM']but that mandolin tune he did recently (Dance Tonight) showed he still has something to offer.[/quote]

For me that 'mandolin tune' was convincing proof that Macca had nothing else to offer. It takes all sorts.

I have no idea why he got involved with this charade, but hey - it's McCartney, why would he care what anyone thinks?

[quote name='TRadford' post='683419' date='Dec 13 2009, 09:23 PM']Ah ok, made me smile, some people slate ashdown a bit, yet if its good enough for Macca, its could enough for me![/quote]
correction, [b]most[/b] people slate ashdown a [b]lot[/b] :)

Makes me shudder to think of his fee for that 10 minutes or so.... Beastly mesa rig, shame his voice was all over the place.

Edited by Kev

Was flicking through the stations and couldn't sit through the whole show.
I think the winner was decreed a few weeks ago, IMV.. and have to say that the guy who won was as deserving as anyone who got to the latter stages.

That Ollie guy blew his second song...so what was his first like..?

At least we are spared another outlet for Chery's' world domination project which is getting on my tits now...

I thought Mcartney's bets days were past him when the Beatles split up....but I don't blame him for trading on one half of a great pop-writing duo, and at his age, I am not surprised if his voice has gone...
Can he still cut it..? doubt it, but you still enjoy the songs.