Why become a member? ×

So, my band booted me out...

TheButler

Hey folks,

Well, i've been playing for this new band for a couple of months - putting everything into it and, importantly, sounding really good. I picked up backing vocals, bought new gear in line for gigging... everything. Then, today i get this e-mail that more or less says they want to continue on without me. Why? I don't know, but it might have something to do with the fact they've been playing together as a band for ages.

Its confusing, because they were all top blokes, played great music i genuinely liked and they all apparently liked me and my attitude.

So, i'm gutted. Its a right blow for any player i suppose, but i've only just picked my bass back up again after having rugby injuries to both hands so for me its just cut me down. Now i don't have any need for the rig i've been planning on buying, hell i could've gotten by without this lovely P-bass i just bought.

My main concern right now is finding another band of the same/better caliber asap, but that seems nigh on impossible right now. What to do? :)

[quote name='TheButler' post='552812' date='Jul 27 2009, 04:24 PM']Hey folks,

Well, i've been playing for this new band for a couple of months - putting everything into it and, importantly, sounding really good. I picked up backing vocals, bought new gear in line for gigging... everything. Then, today i get this e-mail that more or less says they want to continue on without me. Why? I don't know, but it might have something to do with the fact they've been playing together as a band for ages.

Its confusing, because they were all top blokes, played great music i genuinely liked and they all apparently liked me and my attitude.

So, i'm gutted. Its a right blow for any player i suppose, but i've only just picked my bass back up again after having rugby injuries to both hands so for me its just cut me down. Now i don't have any need for the rig i've been planning on buying, hell i could've gotten by without this lovely P-bass i just bought.

My main concern right now is finding another band of the same/better caliber asap, but that seems nigh on impossible right now. What to do? :)[/quote]

You need to find out why dude! Otherwise, it's just a totally confusing situation.

Look in the Bassists Wanted section on here. I just joined an awesome band, the first one I looked at.

You should definitely ask for an 'honest' opinion of what wasn't working for them.

It might be difficult to hear but you may learn something useful for future bands.

Obviously the main thing to do is keep going onwards & upwards.

I failed an audition a while ago that I thought I'd walked (mainly because I supported a different footy team tot he guitarist!) and was initially quite upset because I really fancied joining them. Within a week or so I auditioned for my current band and approached the whole audition very differently and they were super-keen to have me on board almost immediately :)

I'll copy/paste the e-mail here, don't care if they see it haha:

Hi Jamie,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but after much deliberation, we've decided to continue on without you in the band. We appreciate your efforts over the last few weeks, but we're can't really see it working out, and this is perhaps as much to do with the fact we have been together for a few years now and would struggle with anyone new, as it is to do with you.

I'm sure you'll have no problems finding a new vehicle for your bassing - there are plenty of folks looking for guys like you - so all the best.

Thanks again,

Jon
TBSC.

[quote name='TheButler' post='552843' date='Jul 27 2009, 04:38 PM']I'll copy/paste the e-mail here, don't care if they see it haha:

Hi Jamie,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but after much deliberation, we've decided to continue on without you in the band. We appreciate your efforts over the last few weeks, but we're can't really see it working out, and this is perhaps as much to do with the fact we have been together for a few years now and would struggle with anyone new, as it is to do with you.

I'm sure you'll have no problems finding a new vehicle for your bassing - there are plenty of folks looking for guys like you - so all the best.

Thanks again,

Jon
TBSC.[/quote]

So who will be replacing you? Someone [b]else[/b] new? Makes no sense.

[quote name='TheButler' post='552812' date='Jul 27 2009, 04:24 PM']My main concern right now is finding another band of the same/better caliber asap, but that seems nigh on impossible right now. What to do? :)[/quote]

Its not impossible but it might take time to get the right band and not just end playing with a lot of talentless arseholes for the sake of it :rolleyes: . I might also suggest getting a few lessons if your not doing so already. I'm not suggesting that there's anything wrong with your playing but I'm assuming your confidence has been knocked ( mine was when I was sacked , although I knew it was coming ! ) and a good teacher will be able to give you an objective assessment of your playing

[quote name='Spartacus' post='552850' date='Jul 27 2009, 04:42 PM']So who will be replacing you? Someone [b]else[/b] new? Makes no sense.[/quote]
My thoughts exactly. Smells a bit like cowsh1t to me.

You couldn't make it up with some of the priceless cack that comes out of some people's mouths!
Maybe we should start a thread for these type of emails to show other Basschatters what goes on?!

You don't need them Mate, and as mentioned earlier keep practising and find another good band who will appreciate you.

Regards,
Jon.

[quote name='Spartacus' post='552850' date='Jul 27 2009, 04:42 PM']So who will be replacing you? Someone [b]else[/b] new? Makes no sense.[/quote]

Exactly mate, no clue :)

My playing was of a far higher standard than they'd have ever needed to use, and they were well aware of that! I loved the basslines nonetheless. I had their previous bass player's lines down in a matter of two weeks... and backing vocals on top :rolleyes:

Edit: Witty/facetious/etc. remarks that i can work into my replying e-mail will be much appreciated :lol:

Edited by TheButler

[quote name='TheButler' post='552843' date='Jul 27 2009, 04:38 PM']I'll copy/paste the e-mail here, don't care if they see it haha:[/quote]

don't know why they didn't start it 'dear john' and include 'it's not you, it's me' (or did they ?)

that email says nowt...i think they owe it to you to be honest.

email them back, tell them you respect their decision, but not to spare your blushes.

you're all grown-ups ffs !

Yeah, been there-similar situation, many years ago, they'd all played together before, and I was the newcomer. Then their old bass player became available, so I got the elbow. All going great, then kaput. Sucks, but there you go. They never got anywhere after I got sacked, anyway. I suspect your lot, too, may have somebody in mind to replace you with. May not be any better than you ( to be fair, in my case the other guy was [i]considerably[/i] better than me), just he's their mate and you're not-at least not to the same extent. sh*t happens, another of the many delights of being in bands. Try not to take it to heart-something better will come along.

Awwww that sucks.

I am a serial failee with trying to get into bands too.

No doubt you saw the mega thread on me trying to get into the impellers?

Well I got asked to audition with another lot that I really would have enjoyed playing with, learnt their stuff, all ready to go, two days before the audition I email them to double check time/day/venue etc (as you do), and get told they've had a rethink and are going ahead with the old bassist anyway. Utterly poor of them to wait for me to email them IMO!

I dont know what you have to do to get into a decent outfit these days, its totally beyond me.....

Like someone just mentioned it sounds to me like maybe whoever was playing bass with them before wants to rejoin or maybe someone in the band's best mate is a bass player who wants in. Band politics can be a strange thing to say the least and there can be some utterly spineless goings on that you wouldn't credit to grown adults. I've recently quit a band that I thought wasn't going to work out otherwise I think it was only a matter of time before I was sacked (see the 'I'm Outta Here' thread last week). Incidentally anyone who contributed to that thread and wanted an update, the 2nd guitarist guy that I'd played with before rang me the other night and said he was disgusted at the way the band leader had spoken to me and had now quit the band himself, leaving just the leader with his backing midi files to get on with it himself. Gotta dust yourself down, look on it as an experience and concentrate on the qualities that made them hire you in the first place, take that with you into your next audition and best of luck.

Edited by KevB

can't really give you anything more about why they chucked you other than all the stuff folk have said above - if you're looking to get a new band however, i would most definitely suggest going to see local / unsigned / independent bands in your area, particularly ones in the genre of music you want the band to be in - you'll be tripping over like-minded folk in no time!!!!!

[quote name='TheButler' post='552861' date='Jul 27 2009, 04:45 PM']....Witty/facetious/etc. remarks that i can work into my replying e-mail will be much appreciated....[/quote]
I wouldn't bother to reply. They're history.... so what's next?

Keep practicing and working on those BV's and get yourself onto other bands radar. Good luck.

We asked our lady singer to go recently, and it is just as difficult on the other side of the fence. Everyone probably wants to be as pleasant about it as possible so it wont necessarily be easy to find out the real reason.

The best thing to do is to be professional and dignified about it. You may find in 6 months time that one or more of these guys will be in another band who you may be interested in.

You will know if and where from a musical perspective you did or didnt fit, and if you feel there was nothing wrong with your playing, it may just be that they wanted to get someone else in because they are mates.

I have had it happen to me and I have done it to others. Best thing to do is be pleasant about it, learn lessons if they need to be learnt, and look towards finding or starting a band yourself.

My experience is that within reason,it is personalities that generally make band life difficult as much as ability. I would rather play with people I get on with than people I cant stand who are good musicians.

For the last 10 years I have the benefit of playing with 2 very good musicians who I like and respect. [most of the time]

Lets hope you find the same

MB1. :)
The Words "Rugby and Injuries" not have anything to do with it?......Not the safest of pastimes for a Gigging Bass player to be involved in?.Being Emailed or Text is pretty poor! though!

Edited by MB1