Post a pic of your Bass god from your teen years

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, MacDaddy said:
22 hours ago, LowB_FTW said:

012-0001825_001.jpg?v=1671752628

And that bass!

Mark

fairlight_peter_vogel.jpg

Ha! I know, but by the time that knowledge was known, it was too late. 

Mark

Edited by LowB_FTW
Nesting quote
  • Like 1

Bit different, but Charlie Jones. 

He is the brother of the studio manager where I worked at in Bristol when I was 19 in early 80s.

His band recorded and hung out there and got signed to Magnet records. I did thier live sound. 

Me a young player, his style, attitude, live performance and drive were really inspiring. Intense but a really lovely bloke. I learnt a lot about other things from him, even though he wouldn't have realised. 

And looked cool as hell when played! 

Screenshot_20240521_210018_Chrome.thumb.jpg.310d83e83048297598f23a8d85474366.jpg

• Like 3

Cor Dekker of Ekseption started it all.
To date one of few bass players who played solos I love to hear.
Sad life though: after his Ekseption stint, he fell victim to heroin, becoming a dealer and getting a prison sentence - - only to be released due to his health, so he could die at home.

Good, dependable bass player, and reportedly a luvverly bloke.
Here seen while receiving an award  -  probably for their "Ekseption 3" album.

kumuEkseptionkrijgtEdisonvanWillemDuys.thumb.jpg.8153d6b30624d34c99d903baaba10ea9.jpg

Most of my teen bass heroes have been covered, but it was this guy who hit me the hardest:

gettyimages-91484746-1024x1024.jpg.e329c90620e835f38124abccea432a5a.jpg 

The mighty (and ludicrously underrated) Graham Gouldman of 10cc

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

As I was in my teens during the late 60s, this bloke:

JJ.jpg

However, his partner in crime at Motown inspired me to play the bass. He played on Tears of a Clown, which was the first bass part that really hooked me.

BB.jpg

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Like 1

Has anyone mentioned John Deacon yet? The bass break in "Liar" from the first Queen album was the first time a bass part really hit home with me.

Dz7uO2LU8AA-U_Q.thumb.jpg.06ab004ca5d15aa23389096dacc76ea4.jpg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, rushbo said:

Has anyone mentioned John Deacon yet? The bass break in "Liar" from the first Queen album was the first time a bass part really hit home with me.

Dz7uO2LU8AA-U_Q.thumb.jpg.06ab004ca5d15aa23389096dacc76ea4.jpg

Nice bit of foam by the bridge - well done that man! 

For me there are three people who jump out. First up for his playing in the Sisters of Mercy particularly is Craig Adams. He never looked the coolest in the early videos but his bass playing was perfect and more than made up for his silly bopping about (he's calmed down with age!). I liked The Mission too (& his stuff with The Cult) but those early Sisters recordings were what I tried picking out from the records with a bass in my lap. I have his autograph on my living room wall.

Craig.jpeg.44a0a1c1accc779ed1898eff22cd2b0c.jpeg

Next up with have Sami Yaffa from Hanoi Rocks. He went on to play with Jetboy, Demolition 23, Joan Jett and then New York Dolls. He was a role model in that I never wanted to be *famous* but I did want a career where I would be out playing music I wanted. I guess Sami did that. I met him in 2019 and he was the nicest, most humble guy. 

SamiRoxx.jpg.f72757e1d16fc9b73e040110a9bdbdaf.jpg

And finally, for both amazing bass lines and for looking cool as a cat, Simon Gallup. I have a mutual friend who got me his autograph. He's been sent stuff by my band and has said he'd like to come and see us. I suspect he's just being polite but it was nice to hear. 

SimonGallup.thumb.jpg.9a1f6f981faf7da065ed3efb44102f8d.jpg

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Buddster said:

Bit different, but Charlie Jones. 

He is the brother of the studio manager where I worked at in Bristol when I was 19 in early 80s.

His band recorded and hung out there and got signed to Magnet records. I did thier live sound. 

Me a young player, his style, attitude, live performance and drive were really inspiring. Intense but a really lovely bloke. I learnt a lot about other things from him, even though he wouldn't have realised. 

And looked cool as hell when played! 

Screenshot_20240521_210018_Chrome.thumb.jpg.310d83e83048297598f23a8d85474366.jpg

Quite the rare Warwick there! That's an "Infinette", a semi-hollow Corvette / Streamer hybrid that predates the Infinity but ultimately inspired it. Very unusual and very cool! 

Edited by LeftyJ

2 hours ago, franzbassist said:

I had a few, but @neilmurraybass was the guy who really did it for me. Such melodic lines in a rock context ❤️

image.png.9964a3351364c67eb21597cb3cbce6ec.png

Jings that's another one that should have been on my list along with Jack Bruce during his Cozy Powell era.

So many bassists to choose from.

Dave

It was this absolute lad, Stuart Hamm, who was my musical hero as a teenager (and he still is). 

When I got into music, Stuart had just released 'Outbound'. He'd been riding a wave for over a decade with successive solo album releases, tours with Joe Satriani, recording with GHS etc. As a player and a guy getting good work, he was literally on top of the world. Since then, he has definitely struggled with work, alcohol and other things. I saw a bit of a lesson in that, realising that our heroes aren't infallible; they're just regular guys with their own struggles. The music business has changed such that I don't know if we'll ever see another era of great players riding high, touring up the yin yang and cutting records left, right and centre. 

I remain a massive fan of Stuart some twenty years after I got into his music and I sincerely wish him all the best. 

image.thumb.png.e493709addbc74d59d3fb6c9b88aba63.png

• Like 2