Why become a member? ×

Well it blew me away. Lynyrd Skynyrd.

My sister sent me this... I didnt realise what I was about to hear. Its a wonderful record but good lord that groove at 4,40 mins... that is one of the most satisfying guitar solos (2 part) and groove sections ive ever heard that seems to go on and on, the galloping/ 16th note bass playing, the drumming is just amazing also..... just wow. 

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 8

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

You've never heard Freebird before?

I first heard it maybe 45 years ago? It still amazes and moves me.

You have just had an amazing epihany, I envy you.

No never, I spent too much time listening to George Benson and Steely Dan. But The Allman Brothers blew me away once also. 

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

My sister sent me this... I didnt realise what I was about to hear. Its a wonderful record but good lord that groove at 4,40 mins... that is one of the most satisfying guitar solos (2 part) and groove sections ive ever heard that seems to go on and on, the galloping/ 16th note bass playing, the drumming is just amazing also..... just wow. 

And that's just the short version 😉

• Haha 1

If you love Steely Dan and Allman Bros.... and have just heard this.... go and listen to The Doobie Brothers (particularly Tiran Porter's bass work on the albums Captain & Me, What Were Once Vices.... and Stampede. ;)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm a massive Skynyrd fan and was into them before they broke over here in the early 70's, but strangely, Free Bird is my least favourite Skynyrd song, I find the intro and the verses dreary, and the solo's go on far too long.

Gimme Three Steps, Simple Man, and Call Me The Breeze are my favourite Skynyrd numbers and were the first songs my new band's set list. 👍

• Like 4

2 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

The entire Street Survivors album is fantastic. You probably want to listen to the Hotel California album too by the Eagles

Aye, and The Outlaws' selftitled debut album. Green Grass and High Tides is a true southern rock classic, clocking almost 10 minutes in the album version but live versions would often exceed 20 minutes. They're very much guitar-focused (three lead guitarists, much like Lynyrd Skynyrd and the Eagles) and feature a lot of vocal harmonies. Their third album Hurry Sundown is great too. 

• Like 1

When I was a kid, in the late 70s, early 80s, I was pretty blown away by this and spent a long time learning to play it. Effectively it became so iconic, it became almost a joke song that everyone used to shout when any band was going to do an encore, regardless of who they were. For years you would hear it yelled at any gig.

I have still heard it yelled recently so I am sure somethings never go away.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Effectively it became so iconic, it became almost a joke song that everyone used to shout when any band was going to do an encore, regardless of who they were. For years you would hear it yelled at any gig.

I have still heard it yelled recently so I am sure somethings never go away.

Yep, the three classics now are:

"Freebird!"
"Play something you know....!"
"Alexa! Next!"

......at least at my gigs..... ;):facepalm:🤣

• Haha 5

Freebird used to be a great song for those times you wanted to burn half a set.....

Simple Man may be one of my favorite songs, but I don't know any of their music that is not just a huge blast to play.....YMMV

• Like 2

I saw them at Knebworth in the summer of '76 and they were fantastic!

The full line-up that day were The Rolling Stones, 10cc, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Todd Rundgren's Utopia , Hot Tuna , Don Harrison Band.

Brings back great memories for me.

Knebworth 1976.jpeg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, thebrig said:

I saw them at Knebworth in the summer of '76 and they were fantastic!

The full line-up that day were The Rolling Stones, 10cc, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Todd Rundgren's Utopia , Hot Tuna , Don Harrison Band.

Brings back great memories for me.

Knebworth 1976.jpeg

Lucky you!!!!

2 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Maybe try Stairway to Heaven by a band called Led Zeppelin, next. It will leave you SHOOK. 

You know they shook me baby

They shook me all night long

2 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

Aye, and The Outlaws' selftitled debut album. Green Grass and High Tides is a true southern rock classic, clocking almost 10 minutes in the album version but live versions would often exceed 20 minutes. They're very much guitar-focused (three lead guitarists, much like Lynyrd Skynyrd and the Eagles) and feature a lot of vocal harmonies. Their third album Hurry Sundown is great too. 

You beat me to it. Southern rock isn't really my bag but GG&HT is a cracking number with fantastic soloing. I've also got a bit of time for Molly Hatchet,  mainly Flirtin' With Disaster and the track Boogie No More plus the live album which includes a cover of Freebird , which is the mutts nuts.

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, dclaassen said:

Freebird used to be a great song for those times you wanted to burn half a set.....

Simple Man may be one of my favorite songs, but I don't know any of their music that is not just a huge blast to play.....YMMV

We do simple man 😁

15 hours ago, LeftyJ said:

A great band. Their live album ' Bring it back Alive' is a cracker.

• Like 1