Why become a member? ×

Well it blew me away. Lynyrd Skynyrd.

21 hours ago, thebrig said:

I'm a massive Skynyrd fan and was into them before they broke over here in the early 70's, but strangely, Free Bird is my least favourite Skynyrd song, I find the intro and the verses dreary, and the solo's go on far too long.

Gimme Three Steps, Simple Man, and Call Me The Breeze are my favourite Skynyrd numbers and were the first songs my new band's set list. 👍

Swamp music does it for me 😊

• Like 1

On 24/04/2024 at 10:49, thebrig said:

I saw them at Knebworth in the summer of '76 and they were fantastic!

The full line-up that day were The Rolling Stones, 10cc, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Todd Rundgren's Utopia , Hot Tuna , Don Harrison Band.

Brings back great memories for me.

Knebworth 1976.jpeg

ah, come now, you cant tease without putting a link to them playing Freebird there. I'm pretty sure this was the version I saw on a best of the old grey whistle test show late one evening when I was a teen - absolutely blew me away - although, in retrospect, Id pick Tuesday's Gone as my fave Skynyrd song

The OGWT video for Led Zep's Trampled Underfoot was also on the same show - was a very educational evening

3 hours ago, godathunder said:

The OGWT video for Led Zep's Trampled Underfoot was also on the same show

As was House of the Holy, IIRC. Physical Graffiti had just been released.

I love me some Skynyrd. I went off them for a while in about 2008-2015 when I watched UFC as nearly every other fighter seemed to enter the Octagon to Simple Man (I kinda stopped watching the sport so assume that many still do this)

I do like really like Tuesday's Gone as well, even the Metallica version.  

I'm not a massive fan of a lot of their output but find this gentle little rocker irresistibly catchy :)  The bass is certainly a work out.

Edited by Paul S

On 24/04/2024 at 00:17, bubinga5 said:

My sister sent me this... I didnt realise what I was about to hear. Its a wonderful record but good lord that groove at 4,40 mins... that is one of the most satisfying guitar solos (2 part) and groove sections ive ever heard that seems to go on and on, the galloping/ 16th note bass playing, the drumming is just amazing also..... just wow. 

Going back a LOT of years, we always finished our rock DJ set with Freebird. Happy days!

• Like 1

I quite like some of their stuff, but sadly, it has been overplayed. 

If I'm reaching for LS, it's the Gimme Back My Bullets album. Darker, grittier....that's my Skynyrd. I find Street Survivors a bit light in comparison. Nuthin' Fancy just behind as my number 2. 

On 24/04/2024 at 00:28, Stub Mandrel said:

You have just had an amazing epihany, I envy you.

My mate who is a solicitor phoned me. He said that he has decided to change job. He was walking past a guitar shop, popped in out of curiosity and "bought a guitar and I am going to be a full time musician". "WHAT? Is it like you had an epiphany?" I asked. "No, it's a proper Gibson", he replied. 

• Haha 4

On 24/04/2024 at 00:17, bubinga5 said:

My sister sent me this... I didnt realise what I was about to hear. Its a wonderful record but good lord that groove at 4,40 mins... that is one of the most satisfying guitar solos (2 part) and groove sections ive ever heard that seems to go on and on, the galloping/ 16th note bass playing, the drumming is just amazing also..... just wow. 

If the radio stations hadn't faded it out by then my favourite bit was Leon's wee bass turn around at 8.10