Why become a member? ×

Buying online from a private buyer

rory

Morning, 

I've found a lovely Sandberg 48 for sale privately on FB marketplace. The seller is happy to courier at my expense (it's more than a few hundred miles away). What's the best way to organise the payment? I could simply do a bank transfer but then probably open myself to potential issues with being ripped off. I've done this in the past and it's all worked fine but the fact that I'm sending someone I don't know a grand makes me a bit twitchy. Any good ideas about how to go about this? Thanks in advance

I would not go ahead due to it being FB Marketplace , plus the fact that the ' seller ' is not exactly round the corner .

That's just me ., and onky imho . You are right in being  a bit twitchy , over sending £1, 000. 
Alarm  bells should be ringing in your ears .  Your decision at the end of the day . 

It could be legit, but given the amount of scammers and general ne'er do wells out there, I think you're right to feel twitchy, especially given the amount involved. If I wanted the bass, I think I'd organise a couple of days away and pick it up in person for cash.

• Like 6

I have bought & sold on FB marketplace in the past, without any issues - but the items have always been local, or within a driveable distance. It has worked well for me this way, as I've been able to try before buying, or allow a buyer to do the same for something I've sold.

I can understand your reluctance at sending a complete stranger a grand - and without having tried the bass, or even laid eyes on it.

I'm not sure I would do it - but perhaps take a trip and have an evening (or two) in the area, or en-route? At least you'd get a mini break / weekend trip. But if you do go ahead and buy remotely - definitely get them to send an invoice first, and use PayPal (not F & F) so you may have some sort of guarantee / recourse.

@ped's suggestion of a video call would be a good idea too - and get them to show you the bass during the call.

best of luck with it

PS the only time i bought a bass i hadnt seen / tried was via another BC member... and all went well. (My most recent purchase - a Danelectro).

PPS. I have found there are more "chancers" on FB marketplace recently. Having sold quite a bit in the past, these days I've not sold much on there at all. eg. If I advertise something for £150 - I get people offering me £60 and telling me my item is way way overpriced, and they can get it anywhere else for £80 tops! So I tell them to do so....

Edited by Marc S

I’ve been on the other side of a similar transaction a couple of times (not through FB but not through a trusted website such as BC) and I have always offered a Skype / Zoom call to show the instrument on video, or if needed to plug it in with iRig and play it into the call to test the sound.

Other than that, a Paypal transaction (NOT friends and family) should help, if you end up offering to pay the PayPal commission and the seller refuses you know you should run away.

Good luck

Edited by vincbt
  • Like 1

There's issues both ways with PayPal. As a buyer you only want to use payment for goods (or whatever they call it) to be covered, friends and family payment is like a bank transfer, no getting it back if anything goes wrong. 

As a seller, they often don't want to accept PayPal 'payment for goods' as if the buyer is unscrupulous then they can dubiously claim for things like 'not as described' or damage. 

Trust, or lack of, works both ways. 

Where is the bass? Is there a BCer local who could collect it for you, give it the once over and stay with the seller while you bank transfer the money? Then you can arrange a courier to collect it from them. 

I've been lucky enough that folks on here have done that a couple of times for me. 

Edited by Maude
  • Like 1

Don't do it!

Gumtree recommend you only deal with people in your local area and meet up to do the deal, because there's lots of scammers out there who want to steal your money. 

Whether it's Gumtree, or Facebook, the advice is the same.

Fight the GAS!

Edited by gjones

11 minutes ago, gjones said:

Don't do it!

Gumtree recommend you only deal with people in your local area and meet up to do the deal, because there's lots of scammers out there who want to steal your money. 

Whether it's Gumtree, or Facebook, the advice is the same.

Fight the GAS!

Jeepers!  That kind of talk will get you removed from BC... the system would break if we only bought from 'local people'!  

• Haha 1

I live in Kent but I'm sorry I'm not willing to help; the only opinion that matters on whether or not the bass is legit/in good order is yours. You are adding to the risk by involving third parties. If you want it that badly you should drive down to pick it up. Probably cheaper than getting a courier inc. insurance and you'll have peace of mind.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NHM said:

I live in Kent but I'm sorry I'm not willing to help; the only opinion that matters on whether or not the bass is legit/in good order is yours. You are adding to the risk by involving third parties. If you want it that badly you should drive down to pick it up. Probably cheaper than getting a courier inc. insurance and you'll have peace of mind.

I've been that third party in the past and it's happened many times before, not only that but Basschat relays handling the delivery of basses and other items.  I don't think it's risky to involve a long standing and well respected member of this community to pick up a bass on your behalf.  Fair enough if you don't want to get involved but I think it's a bit rum of you to basically call us all risky.  You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but I'm entitled to disagree also.