Why become a member? ×

If You hate Your bass - why ???

nilorius

I dare say there may be musicians out there that have bought instruments because they were within their budgets but have come to the realisation that they just don’t like them but due to funds are stuck with them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

If you hate your bass, why do you still have it?

Because I play in a Joy Division tribute act, so it's expected that I play something that resembles a Rickenbacker 4001. Peter Hook played a Korean made Hondo copy, and I did the same for about five years until the neck snapped near the heel. I now play a genuine Rickenbacker, and the Hondo was a far better instrument to play even if it was made from plywood.

• Like 4

I actually brought a standard made in USA fender jazz years ago (2012 model if I remember correctly?) to see what all the fuss was about. Considering they’re probably the most popular/recorded bass in history I found it the most dull, lifeless thing I think I’ve ever had the misfortune to lay my hands on….the only thing going for it I thought (a bit) was the neck profile. If there’s such a thingy as hating a bass that’s the nearest I’ve come to it…….go figure 🤣

4 minutes ago, tubbybloke68 said:

I actually brought a standard made in USA fender jazz years ago (2012 model if I remember correctly?) to see what all the fuss was about. Considering they’re probably the most popular/recorded bass in history I found it the most dull, lifeless thing I think I’ve ever had the misfortune to lay my hands on….the only thing going for it I thought (a bit) was the neck profile. If there’s such a thingy as hating a bass that’s the nearest I’ve come to it…….go figure 🤣

I honestly think that if there had to be only one model of bass guitar then it should be a Fender Jazz neck on a Fender Precision body. Probably why I like the Sterling RAY4 so much, as it's pretty much a Jazz neck on the body of something descended from Leo's attempt at a "better Precision than a Precision". I even prefer the RAY4 to the more upmarket RAY34, which definitely felt like a better quality bass (and on a par with the US made Stingrays I've owned) but with a neck that wasn't so easy to move around on.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, chriswareham said:

I honestly think that if there had to be only one model of bass guitar then it should be a Fender Jazz neck on a Fender Precision body. Probably why I like the Sterling RAY4 so much, as it's pretty much a Jazz neck on the body of something descended from Leo's attempt at a "better Precision than a Precision". I even prefer the RAY4 to the more upmarket RAY34, which definitely felt like a better quality bass (and on a par with the US made Stingrays I've owned) but with a neck that wasn't so easy to move around on.

It's hard to disagree with this. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chriswareham said:

Peter Hook played a Korean made Hondo copy, and I did the same for about five years until the neck snapped near the heel. I now play a genuine Rickenbacker, and the Hondo was a far better instrument to play even if it was made from plywood.

I am sure there are some hondo owners who would swap.

Although I do understand that, I had an ibanez 4001 copy, bolt on with stereo out back in the early 80s and I really liked that bass. It got nicked. When I did play my first real ric, I was a bit disappointed with it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I am sure there are some hondo owners who would swap.

Although I do understand that, I had an ibanez 4001 copy, bolt on with stereo out back in the early 80s and I really liked that bass. It got nicked. When I did play my first real ric, I was a bit disappointed with it.

The Japanese made Hondo's were very decent instruments, probably made in the same factories as many of the Ibanez ones. For some reason their Rick copy was farmed out to a Korean factory before they had upped their game to match the quality of the Japanese ones. From what I've read, Hondo was actually a brand dreamt up by an importer from the US, something similar to the Univox brand.

And a music shop local to me have just acquired a Japanese made Rick copy from an estate sale. It's minus its truss rod cover, but it looks like was most likely branded as an Ibanez or similar. They want somewhere in the region of £800 for it, which given what similar copies are going on eBay or Reverb doesn't strike me as unreasonable.

16 minutes ago, tauzero said:

You're just going to offer anybody who says yes ten lats for the bass they hate, aren't you?

😄 We don't have lats for a lot of years, i guess You mean - euro! But idea is good.

33 minutes ago, nilorius said:

😄 We don't have lats for a lot of years, i guess You mean - euro! But idea is good.

I wrote euro at first, then wasn't sure so I did a google and it came back with a conversion into lat. I should have looked just below that, where the first entry says that the Latvian currency is the euro. So, ten euros then.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, chriswareham said:

Because I play in a Joy Division tribute act, so it's expected that I play something that resembles a Rickenbacker 4001. Peter Hook played a Korean made Hondo copy, and I did the same for about five years until the neck snapped near the heel. I now play a genuine Rickenbacker, and the Hondo was a far better instrument to play even if it was made from plywood.

You should have unhitched the plough from it. 

11 hours ago, binky_bass said:

So many pointless questions... can we get a spam filter on basschat? 🙄

In fairness to the op's original question, whilst not being the least trivial, it is about bass and he is inviting you to chat about it.... one might say it's bass-chat.

But to answer the not entirely pointless question, I own what could be the worlds worse bass guitar. A Jedson from the 60/70s which is basically a cheap guitar with 4 strings on. Truly hideous to play but... with nylon strings and an MM pickup sounds huge! So yeah, I hate the bass but i can't give it up. 

• Like 1

I had an Hohner Arbor series P bass, that I bought mainly because it looked cool in white/white/maple, and was sold to me as an '87, which makes it a birth year bass for me. The nut width was too much for a 4 string for my taste (44mm I reckon) and I don't think the pickup/wiring was great, plus it was weighty. AND the A string rattled, but due to the way the machine heads tapered, you couldn't get the windings lower without a lot of wraps. The Revelation PJ I have now sounds loads better and is more resonant. Held onto that Hohner for a lot longer than I should have, but at least I didn't lose money on it.