Why become a member? ×

What would you do?

joel406

I'd take a trip to Bass Direct and see what fanned fret I liked the best. I really liked the playability of a Spector NS Dimension, but it didn't sustain like my Dingwall. I'd like to try out the Dimension HP vs D-Roc vs Combustion vs NG and take my pick. 

5 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Me personally…something Gibson.

or I’d seek out a Wal from an auction or house sale as Reverb and eBay pricing MENTAL

Judging by the fact it’s USD I assume OP is in the states where Wal prices are even higher than UK (if Talkbass is anything to go on). 

Can you get a 70s Fender Jazz for that price in the US? I think that’d be my shout or a used Ken smith if one came up in budget.

• Like 1

$4k in the US (unless this is a typo), will buy you significantly more than £3.2k here on a direct exchange value; I think we'd all concur a $4k US ticket price would be £4k here (so nearer $5k).

The answer to what are you buying is much the same as that expressed elsewhere, nothing mainstream.  I'd be looking at used Hamer, Mike Lull, Kubicki; if the budget extended to geetars I'd try and find a first run Ibanez Destroyer.

1 hour ago, Geek99 said:

I’d look at any instrument that was better quality than the standard of my playing and keep the change.

So, one $150 squier affinity later … 

That’s with a busted pickup and a poor relic job naturally 

• Haha 1

I'd probably get a second Eastwood Hooky 6 to use as a spare for gigs.

What I'd really like is a  Gus Bass VI built using the their G3 Baritone shape, but last time I enquired (pre COVID) I was looking at in excess of £6k for the spec I was after...

Edit: After buying the Hooky I'd use the rest of the money to buy one of my bands in the studio with a decent producer who is sympathetic to our genre/sound and get as many tracks recorded and mixed to best possible standard until the money ran out.

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 1

I think in the Real World, I'd struggle to spend that across a range of instruments/recording gear at the moment, never mind just the one bass. I've had terrible GAS in the past & have ended up with all of my musical needs over-carered for - although in fairness (to myself) my tastes aren't particularly expensive so I have an embarrassment of (mostly) cheap-but-decent gear.

In the not-so-real world, & if it had to go on just the one bass, I think it'd be time visit a few luthiers & see if my vision of a headless, lightweight, double-neck through neck(s) fretted 4/fretless 5 prog nightmare bass is actually achievable. I have drawings & everything... :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, snorkie635 said:

With you on the Gibson Andy. Any particular model?

I’m thinking a ripper in natural/maple, maybe a grabber in natural…

id love a thunderbird or RD - but the offset shapes look weird on me.

7 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

The answer to what are you buying is much the same as that expressed elsewhere, nothing mainstream.  I'd be looking at used Hamer, Mike Lull, Kubicki...

Now that sounds like a plan. There are a lot of interesting local brands, like Alembic, Surine, Pensa-Suhr, Pedulla, Zon, Carl Thompson, Modulus Graphite, F-bass (although Canadian), Sukop, Linc Luthier... 4k$ sure is a lot of money.

25 minutes ago, bubinga5 said:

£4000 on a bass, no way.. Amazing and I mean amazing basses out there for £1500 to £2000 second hand, even 4th hand. For me a Lakland 5502 deluxe and Aguilar. But if I had to..  USA Lakland, Suhr, Sadowsky, MTD, F Bass, .  

I have a couple of basses that cost me more than £4,000.00 each.  They're lovely and all, but realistically are they worth 40 (or 55) times the money my old Aria bass owes me?  Nooooo.

• Like 1