Why become a member? ×

The Joe Dart III - New Joe Dart Musicman Signature Bass

2 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Hard no from me.

love Joe Dart. Hate the basses he’s putting out with EBMM.

The stuff that “broke” the band was all a Mexi Standard Jazz and a Carlos Robelli $99 bass. I think through a Roland Bass Cube 100.

🙄

IMG_6918.jpeg

I want to say that that's the point; he's got EBMM to build him (and supply him with) the three basses that he used and likes; a passive Stingray with only a volume knob (Carlos Robelli), a passive jazz (mexi j) and a short scale P with only a volume knob (Jacks precision bass jr). The fact they sell them too is just EBMM making money where they see a market.

I think the video of them explaining the JDII and how much of a piss take it is I think sums it up. They're not the ones selling it, they're just happy to accept the business handout 

Edited by Killerfridge
Know to knob
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

The basses are aimed at rich folk who aspire to play like Joe Dart. Rather than practice, they’ll spunk £2k on a bass to pretend to be him in the mirror.

This.

1 hour ago, acidbass said:

I'm always surprised how EBMM get the pickup to string alignment so consistently wrong. Another G string lost in the mix :(

Pretty shocking, isn't it? The string is not even partially over the pole piece.

I really like these JD models. Simple and stripped back. Love the natural. 

EBMM have mostly changed into a MUCH more limited run type company now for the USA models, with higher pricing. Gone are the days of seeing a load of Stingrays at £1400 on the wall.

• Like 1

Regardless of whether you do or don't like Joe Dart or his music, the bass is a hard 'no' from me. I kinda dig that he's got a vibe he goes for and is true to it (I'll always respect people for that) but for me, that bass is far too basic/simple to justify that price tag (Yes, I know Fender sell Custom Shop P-Basses for more, but I wouldn't spend 2k+ on a P-Bass either!)

7 hours ago, Rayman said:

Ugly ridiculous and overpriced. It will of course sell out very quickly. 

What a mad world we live in. 

Oh yeah, it sold out within the hour. I understand collectors getting them, but I think anyone buying it to sound like JD should listen to Vulfmon's poem about tools and creativity:

35 minutes ago, Killerfridge said:

Oh yeah, it sold out within the hour. I understand collectors getting them, but I think anyone buying it to sound like JD should listen to Vulfmon's poem about tools and creativity:

Non sequiturs does not a poem make.

I’ve never got the whole Vulf thing. Its irony turned up to 1000 and then compressed to hell. The result is jazz funk with a raised eyebrow played by music college kids. 

• Like 3

A licence to print money.

Every time I go to see the Spurs I squeeze through throngs of fans queuing up to buy beer and burgers and walk to my seat and sit with the other 60k fans, many with replica shirts, and watch Spurs play (often badly).  And at the next match it all happens again.

EBMM (and Fender) can produce overpriced bass after overpriced bass and people will buy them.  I'm not interested in the basses, but I wouldn't mind a few shares in the company.

14 hours ago, neepheid said:

I'm sorry, I missed it, can someone please explain to me what the fuss is about?

12 hours ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

I just had a quick Google as to who Joe dart is . 
Wow ! Chad valley have gone up in my estimation . Looks like a bitsa bog standard ugly bass . 

Joe Dart plays in a band called Vulfpeck whose most interesting album is "Sleepify"....

Edited by BigRedX
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Burns-bass said:

Non sequiturs does not a poem make.

I’ve never got the whole Vulf thing. Its irony turned up to 1000 and then compressed to hell. The result is jazz funk with a raised eyebrow played by music college kids. 

Disagree on point one, but I guess that's the joy of art

Point 2: They're a concept band based in the 60's/70's, and I guess you either enjoy that or you really don't; I'm surprised at the amount of hate they seem to get on here though

2 minutes ago, Killerfridge said:

Disagree on point one, but I guess that's the joy of art

Point 2: They're a concept band based in the 60's/70's, and I guess you either enjoy that or you really don't; I'm surprised at the amount of hate they seem to get on here though

When did "hate" get redefined to "opinion I disagree with"?  Am I just being a confused X-genner again?

I'M NOT A BOOMER, DAMNIT.

2 minutes ago, neepheid said:

When did "hate" get redefined to "opinion I disagree with"?  Am I just being a confused X-genner again?

I'M NOT A BOOMER, DAMNIT.

Fair, I've probably read into the comments a bit much and hate is totally the wrong word; I think I'm conflating the dislike of EBMM charging £2k for a shortscale simple P bass (which I think is the correct opinion) with the dislike of Vulf as a band (also a reasonable opinion, just not one I hold). I think the "The result is jazz funk with a raised eyebrow played by music college kids." comment hit a nerve, despite the fact it is demonstrably true!

I retract my statement, but leave the comment there for posterity; carry on!

I still remember when the first one came out and thinking it was literally a joke, with that ridiculous knob and video that went along with it.

And now we're three sold out iterations in.  Madness.

• Like 1

2400 bucks and this is the best they could do. That's somewhere between a joke and an insult.

Ah well, I'm sure it won't bother the dentists and lawyers who will be the ones buying it to hang on their walls or stick in their vaults.

image.png.a579667b666bf869b6b924d1301942b1.png

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Killerfridge said:

Fair, I've probably read into the comments a bit much and hate is totally the wrong word; I think I'm conflating the dislike of EBMM charging £2k for a shortscale simple P bass (which I think is the correct opinion) with the dislike of Vulf as a band (also a reasonable opinion, just not one I hold). I think the "The result is jazz funk with a raised eyebrow played by music college kids." comment hit a nerve, despite the fact it is demonstrably true!

I retract my statement, but leave the comment there for posterity; carry on!

I guess my issue is with authenticity (or the lack of it).

Everything is played for laughs. It's the same reason why I don't get on with Frank Zappa, Steely Dan, or any of those "zany" US bands and artists. The whole is so inauthentic and the whole aesthetic they have grates on me.

Instrumentally, they're absolutely on point, but what are they trying to say or achieve with any of it? It all seems as hollow and empty as the kind of lift muzak you used to here while shopping. 

But, it's their journey, and they're selling out stadiums to audiences who adore it, so good for them.

• Like 5