Why become a member? ×

Bass and drum "duets"

Jakester

For the last few years, an ensemble I play in has hosted something of a variety concert (sounds hideous, isn't) where the ensemble plays the second half of a concert, but the first half is made up of members of the ensemble in smaller groups - for example, a sax quartet, wind ensemble, string quartet etc.

Last year as part of the more uptempo stuff and for a rhythm-section focus, I did Dean Town with the drummer and keys player, which (despite a couple of flubs) went down really well (surprisingly!). 

I've been asked if we want to do something again this, year, but I don't really have any ideas beyond another Vulfpeck tune, which is unlikely to be as recognisable. 

Does anyone have any recommendations of tunes which are bass and drum-centric? Bonus points for anything that's already transcribed! The obvious one is Teen Town but I suspect my ability isn't quite there yet (!); any others gratefully received. 

42 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

The original "fever" was bass and vocal, I'm sure you could do something around that. It would be recognisable.

Ooh that might work, I could do it DB too…

• Like 2

'The Big Noise From Winnetka' - a Drum'n'Bass duet from 1939.  Written and played by Bob Haggart (string bass & whistling) and Ray Bauduc (drums).  

I remember my dad playing this record in the late 1950's (it was a 10" ; 78rpm ; made of shellac, which was very brittle and the forerunner of vinyl) and.  Dad was a huge fan of the 'Big Bands' and I was inspired by his enthusiasm. 

And an alternative version by University of Minnesota Duluth professors Dr. Adam Booker and Dr. Gene Koshinski who revisit the classic tune composed and made famous by bassist Bob Haggart and drummer Ray Bauduc.

Enjoy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Chezz55 said:

And an alternative version by University of Minnesota Duluth professors Dr. Adam Booker and Dr. Gene Koshinski who revisit the classic tune composed and made famous by bassist Bob Haggart and drummer Ray Bauduc

Dayyum - my profs should have been so Cool !

(...downside of doing EE)

Edited by sandy_r

8 hours ago, Chezz55 said:

'The Big Noise From Winnetka' - a Drum'n'Bass duet from 1939.  Written and played by Bob Haggart (string bass & whistling) and Ray Bauduc (drums).  

I remember my dad playing this record in the late 1950's (it was a 10" ; 78rpm ; made of shellac, which was very brittle and the forerunner of vinyl) and.  Dad was a huge fan of the 'Big Bands' and I was inspired by his enthusiasm. 

And an alternative version by University of Minnesota Duluth professors Dr. Adam Booker and Dr. Gene Koshinski who revisit the classic tune composed and made famous by bassist Bob Haggart and drummer Ray Bauduc.

Enjoy.

I was about to suggest this but you got there first.

I have bumbled my way through my version of this on EUB and also on DB with a drummer who not only played on my strings but wandered around the room playing on the floor, tables, people's bottles and glasses and whatever else he could find before he found his way back to his drums. The crowd always loves it and of course it is a bit different every time and it's great fun to play. I think it has also been done on EB but DB is best of course.