Why become a member? ×

Favourite band discovery of 2023

SteveXFR

What has been your favourite band discovery this year? New or old band but new to you.

For me it's Brutus. I saw them at Arctangent festival and they blew my mind. Interesting and original metal music. The singer/drummer is one of the most talented people I've ever seen live and the rest of the band are great as well. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Definitely stop.drop.rewind for me. I first saw them when Facebook showed me their 'we write a Midwest Emo song in 60 seconds' video, a very funny and clever little insight into a quickfire writing process that actually turned out a great song. Having followed that, I saw some of the short videos that bassist Kris Lohn had made where he was showing off some Geddy Lee parts from tunes like 'Red Barchetta'. I was inspired to look more deeply into their music and found their brand of 'nerd rock' to be much to my liking. It's uniquely complex and yet simple at the same time, because the sense of melody in each of their songs is so strong. When you start to look a little more closely you'll see the intricacies in the music; all shifting time signatures, counterpoint basslines, amazing harmony and big hooks. I think they're absolutely awesome, just an insanely good three-piece making something really fresh and cool. 

• Like 4

My fave discovery is Ren. Pure talent imho.

He's created a smart blend of music, theatre, indy film, philosophy and self help and...

I don't know quite what to call it except, It's Ren. 

All done independently too.

Start here, then look into The Money Game (parts 1, 2 and 3) 😙👌

• Like 8

On 24/12/2023 at 21:58, SteveXFR said:

What has been your favourite band discovery this year? New or old band but new to you.

For me it's Brutus. I saw them at Arctangent festival and they blew my mind. Interesting and original metal music. The singer/drummer is one of the most talented people I've ever seen live and the rest of the band are great as well. 

Thanks so much for this. Sounds like a non-crap paramore! Will delve further.