Why become a member? ×

Scratching your initials into the front of your bass.......!

Chewie

What an idiot.

He didn't actually log the acidity of whatever it was he used to get rid of the paint in order to have somewhere to log the acidity of whatever it was he was going to use to get rid of the paint.

Edited by Doctor J
  • Confused 2

A black Stingray popped up on a local FB marketplace recently at a very good price and I quickly sent an interested message. And then I had a close look at the pictures. It was a wreck. It looked like it had been repeatedly banged on the ground or used for cricket practice. I suspect some young punk loving kid with no sense. I got a couple of replies from him over the next 3 days offering lower prices and then told him no thanks it’s too badly damaged. It remained on sale for several weeks. 

• Haha 1

I think the price is the only thing I don't like the look of there.

82 - 84 means it's one of those highly regarded Fullerton reissues I think. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Edit - yes it is. 

So it's one of the first reissues that Fender ever did, carefully built to the original specs of the 60s instruments. 

So it's kind of like a custom shop bass, but pre- custom shop, and old enough have been worn in genuinely. 

I like it, it's certainly interesting, but I wouldn't buy any bass that expensive again.

Edited by miles'tone
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Cliff Edge said:

A black Stingray popped up on a local FB marketplace recently at a very good price and I quickly sent an interested message. And then I had a close look at the pictures. It was a wreck. It looked like it had been repeatedly banged on the ground or used for cricket practice. I suspect some young punk loving kid with no sense. I got a couple of replies from him over the next 3 days offering lower prices and then told him no thanks it’s too badly damaged. It remained on sale for several weeks. 

Wow........ I wish I'd seen that. 

You know what, I love looking on Facebook Marketplace.

Somebody was selling a coffin the other week.

Cracked me up.........!!!

It's great to hear everybody's take on it.

For me, if that didn't have his initials scratched into it, I would've been thinking about going to view it.

If it had been on the back, it wouldn't've bothered me half as much.

How shallow is that?

Deep enough to know I'm shallow.

Nowt queerer than folk, as my dad would say.

Merry Xmas everyone.

• Like 1

It might affect the price I’d be prepared to pay, but the unsightly initialling wouldn’t stop me buying.

In my experience, there’s a reason basses have this much wear on them, which usually  becomes apparent when you pick them up.

I have just acquired, in the last week, one of these neck dated January 1983, also very well used, maybe not so used-up looking.
There is something different about these. So easy to play - instant extra capabilities. I hadn’t ever tried one before. I am already certain that it won’t be going anywhere.

If that was James Jamerson's (insert other highly regarded bass player) initials then people would be raving about how cool it is to have them etched into the wood. 

Just because S. P. H. didn't 'make it' should it matter? 

It's all part of it's history/story/mojo. 

1 hour ago, Chewie said:

Wow........!  Ok...... learning all the time........... 

Have you had experience with that?

Yeah. I bought a bass that a ding in the neck, a ‘Ray5. Using the wet cloth and soldering iron technique, it lifted right out. I have since used it on another dinged neck and some furniture that was dinged during a move. The results can vary, but it’s always better than it was.

• Like 2