Why become a member? ×

Your best (and worst!) bass gear purchases of 2023?

Al Krow

Following on from the same topic we've successfully run since 2018 - a chance for some useful hints and tips with Black Friday and Xmas goodies still ahead, and, of course, nothing to stop us changing our minds between now and year end! 

As with previous years, the only "house rules" are that it's bass gear and something you bought (or at least arrived) in 2023. 

Here's the last thread in the series I posted in 2021 as a reminder of some of the goodies we bought then. (I think someone else kindly did the honours in 2022)

And definitely post your GAS inducing pics please!

• Like 1

I have best which are my Fender JMJ Mustang basses, and then the worst - even though they’re amazing they’re not as good as the JMJs - my Squier Classic Vibe Mustang basses. So I suppose I’m rather fortunate on this one with best being super amazing and worst being just amazing.

IMG_1892.jpeg

IMG_2564.jpeg

• Like 8

I've had a pretty modest year on the bass gear front - ended up selling significantly more than I spent driven by clearing out my amps and cabs for PA related kit now that I'm no longer using backline.

The bit of kit that's given me perhaps the most joy has been a pair of NU-X C-5RC 5.8 GHz wireless bugs which have excellent range, had no interference / drop out issues that I was getting with my 2.4 GHz kit and cost me <£100 used and come in a handy charging case with useful space for a couple of picks!

image.png.8482a88f85d16fb139c0ad730ed96ada.png

My worst was entirely my own fault! Finally deciding to drag myself into this century, I bought a mic stand mounted tablet to use instead of a music stand and paper crib notes. Worked a treat, but when a mate had said she hoped we would "smash it!" referring to the gig on Saturday night, well clearly one of the inebriated audience took her literally knocking over the mic stand, shearing the tablet holder and cracking the tablet on its first outing. Ouch! Tbf - total schoolboy error on my part not putting a screen protector on before the gig. Anyway expensive(!) lesson learned! It's replacement is half the price and came already fitted with a screen protector 😅

image.png.21d1862a17c79f96e6415d0fac01d78c.png

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 2

Best purchase of the year was my used but well cared for Fender Player P-Bass The purchase was in the bag by 1pm on New Years Day 2023 so it also qualifies as the first and quickest blag of 2023.

IMG_3005.thumb.jpeg.0509368b763a5d6cc72c8a2ae7eb635f.jpeg

Closely followed by a shiny red box purchased from @Chimike and which is just as fantastic as the P-Bass.

IMG_3007(1).thumb.jpeg.e6bd9e6770ddc3378993a42abaff1aa7.jpeg

Nothing really bad purchased at all this year. I did buy a used Boss SYB-3 out of curiosity but that was moved on quite quickly so may qualify as worst purchase purely as it was only in my possesion for a short time. But it wasn't really so bad, just not for me.

• Like 5

Best by miles is my Ashdown ABM600 head. An enormous upgrade from my old Orange Terror. I'm still working out settings but already sounding great. 

The Ibanez SRMS805 is very good but the pickups and preamp are a bit weak. It plays great though and was a bargain, like new for half the price of a new one.

20231126_154815

• Like 5

Best bass purchase would be the Pelham blue Gibson non-reverse thunderbird, and the worst purchase would probably be the blue JMJ I use for rehearsals and gigs — its a fantastic bass and is only my worst purchase as already owned two JMJs when I bought it so I really didn't need it, but for some unfathomable reason I really wanted it at the time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Roger2611 said:

Blimey, I have just realised I haven't brought or sold anything bass related this year! I have to admit to buying 4 six stringers and a nice new lightweight amp set up so the GAS is still there, just pointing in a different direction at the moment 

There's still time 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Best purchase...

USA Music Man 6 String BFR Bongo. Absolutely stunning instrument in every way.

Screenshot_20231213_203748_Gallery.thumb.jpg.93ba11b9363571d1a023e9c05d973d60.jpg

Worst purchase...

SKY Glass. Absolutely shocking. SKY itself is fine, but their TVs are woeful. Went back within 2 weeks. Appreciate that's not bass gear, but it needed saying!

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 4

Best things I've bought have been individual pedals to replace my multi-effects unit. Tuner, compressor, Boss synth and overdrive pedals, plus an Eden chorus pedal that I bought on a whim but which is getting a fair bit of use, especially in the punk band.

Edited by lozkerr
Bad gramer and speelung
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, lozkerr said:

Best things I've bought have been individual pedals to replace my multi-effects unit. Tuner, compressor, Boss synth and overdrive pedals, plus an Eden chorus pedal that I bought on a whim but which is getting a fair bit of use, especially in the punk band.

If you don't mind me asking, how are you finding the chorus, and what sort is it (as in, thick, wide etc)?  I need a chorus but haven't got a clue which one I want.

• Like 1

Happy Christmas to me…

this is the best.

IMG_6171.jpeg

The worst…

I bought a Boss LMB-3 and it stayed in a box from the day it arrived until I sold it.

I didn’t need it…just a pointless purchase.

weirdly…I need something of that Ilk now.

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 11

14 minutes ago, Jackroadkill said:

If you don't mind me asking, how are you finding the chorus, and what sort is it (as in, thick, wide etc)?  I need a chorus but haven't got a clue which one I want.

It's this beastie. The depth knob gives quite a wide range of sounds. I'm not sure what you mean by thick or wide, but you can get a lot of different effects from it. I spent ages happily noodling away through it in Scayles before buying it. Plus, although it uses Eden's 15 volt power supply, it runs OK at 9 volts from a Voodoo Lab unit.

As they're now out of production, along with every other Eden product - thanks for all the investment and support, Marshall - you could probably pick up one dead cheap on fleabay.

jgnIVJDCTC.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, lozkerr said:

It's this beastie. The depth knob gives quite a wide range of sounds. I'm not sure what you mean by thick or wide, but you can get a lot of different effects from it. I spent ages happily noodling away through it in Scayles before buying it. Plus, although it uses Eden's 15 volt power supply, it runs OK at 9 volts from a Voodoo Lab unit.

As they're now out of production, along with every other Eden product - thanks for all the investment and support, Marshall - you could probably pick up one dead cheap on fleabay.

jgnIVJDCTC.png

Thanks, Loz, that's great.  A wide range of sounds is ideal.  I'll check one out.

• Like 3

I’ve not bought much at all year by previous standards, but the best is definitely this. Epiphone Vintage Pro T-Bird. Stupendously good for the cash (especially second hand with a case, as this was). I’ve replaced the knobs for black/chrome and, when I get round to it, will get a black scratchplate on it too.

Worst purchase? I’ve yet to find a use for the Stone Deaf PDF-2 pedal that I picked up to try with my octave up sounds. Nowt wrong with the pedal, just not what I’m looking for.

IMG_6233.jpeg

Edited by mr4stringz
  • Like 8