Why become a member? ×

I’m down to one bass…

Geek99

After selling my P I’m left with a vintage est96a stingray clone, and a beaten up six string acoustic rescued by Simo from going to the tip. It cost me £7 for the parts to fix it up 

chap who bought my P says he has 27 basses. Twenty freaking seven. 

I only have one and understand scythes are being sharpened as I write this. Why are Amazon suddenly out of stock of both tar and feathers? 

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

One Bass is fine, I like getting really used to just playing one. Lots of famous players seem to have stuck with one or two. I don't see much point in having loads that are similar all set up in a similar way,it's a bit like a stamp collection. 

....although in an ideal world I'd like one for each special task: one for slap (stingray with low action light and bright roundwounds), one for Reggae (Jazz with tapewound), one for soul (Precision with flatwounds), one for punk (Precision with roundwounds), and perhaps a fretless, an acoustic, and 5 & 6 string multiscale ones. So I would end up with about 10!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, SumOne said:

...although in an ideal world I'd like one for each special task: one for slap (stingray with low action light and bright roundwounds), one for Reggae (Jazz with tapewound), one for soul (Precision with flatwounds), one for punk (Precision with roundwounds), and perhaps a fretless, an acoustic, and 5 & 6...

A red Status 4 with 30-90 set for slap (no gigs, just for fun), Vigier 4 and Modulus Genesis 5 for gigs, fretless 4 and 5 for fun, maybe gigs, a double bass for jazz and classical, electronic upright for jazz... some modern 36" lightweight bass for noodling around, what else? An Alembic, and...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Geek99 said:

After selling my P I’m left with a vintage est96a stingray clone, and a beaten up six string acoustic rescued by Simo from going to the tip. It cost me £7 for the parts to fix it up 

chap who bought my P says he has 27 basses. Twenty freaking seven. 

I only have one and understand scythes are being sharpened as I write this. Why are Amazon suddenly out of stock of both tar and feathers? 

You should have stuff you want, need, and love. I truly believe we’d all be happy with less stuff, but I can’t help accumulating things as it’s part of who I am.

I have one bass I use, one spare in a case I take to gigs, and one I saved up for 4 years to buy (and will never sell).

• Like 3

I blame Basschat.

image.thumb.png.0d24466a2b850db51398a7d5d2363b54.png

Although I have to say that 3 of the basses in this picture have been sold since it was taken and the only bass I gig regularly is the cream coloured Jazz on the far right. I will sell a few others in the next couple of years and I'll probably just be left with my USA Elite Precision, the 5 string G&L and the cream Jazz.

Edited by gjones
  • Like 6

For many years I just had one , and then I began to bring them home. I have twenty something now , there’s really only a couple I’d sell. Not in any hurry to buy another, recently I’ve bought about one a year. 

And the last one was last January so I’m due.

• Like 1

I only have two. I'm saying "only" now, I've been thinking about thinking about selling one. I won't before I have to though. They are both the same model, Sandberg Grand Dark, a four string and a five string.

Not that it is very interesting but it happened in a quite strange way:

I ordered the first, the five string, from Thomann. Delivery was stated as "several months away".

A couple of weeks later I found the four string in a Spanish shop called Todobajos and bought it thinking I'd cancel the other order if I liked it.

Three days after Todobajos had shipped it I got a mail from Thomann informing me that the five string was now shipped and at that point I saw no other way to handle the situation but to remain undecided about which one to return until it was too late to return either of them.

I highly recommend Todobajos by the way, they are an "only bass and bass equipment" shop in Madrid and were excellent even though I don't speak Spanish and only one of them spoke English well. All of them were very nice people. The bass I bought was discounted too.

The shop looks brilliant and if I ever go to Madrid I'll pay them a visit. https://www.todobajos.com/en/

edit: sorry for babbling on. 

Edited by HornetPinata
spelling