Why become a member? ×

Artists you can't listen to anymore.

TheGreek

Changed the CD in the car earlier - reached into the pile and pulled out Jimi Hendrix greatest hits. 

It felt like I'd heard every track a million times- forced myself to listen to it even though it was punishing.  

Next time I'm in the car I'll be swapping it out.

Similar experience??

• Like 2

Interesting topic ..

I purchased so much music mainly in the '80s .Mainly metal .  Over obsessive those days .

So, off the top of my head ; Nirvana , Venom , Motley Crue , Danzig, Ted Nugent ,Hendrix, Atomic Rooster, Angelwitch ,Groundhogs,Stray, Wolfsbane , Di'anno era maiden . Saxon . 
Probabky others that may cross my mind ..

• Like 2

Anything 'aggy'. 

I still absolutely adore bands like Rage Against The Machine, System of A Down, Soundgarden, older era Incubus, etc - it's all I listened to up until my mid 20's, but I can't listen to it anymore. It makes me too anxious and edgy. I still love the bands and the songs themselves, it's just never on the playlist these days at 37 years old.

The older I've got, the more electronic music speaks to me - give me a nice Ambient Chillwave instead!

Edited by 40hz
  • Like 4

I've got a different problem - being stuck in a rut of listening to the same stuff I've always listened to.  So it's not that I can't listen to stuff I used to like anymore, it's that I can't stop listening to stuff I used to like (and continue to do so) at the expense of new stuff.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, neepheid said:

I've got a different problem - being stuck in a rut of listening to the same stuff I've always listened to.  So it's not that I can't listen to stuff I used to like anymore, it's that I can't stop listening to stuff I used to like (and continue to do so) at the expense of new stuff.

I hear you ( musical term  meaning I understand 😬) ...

In a slight comparison , I find it hard to see anything that grabs me as much as things did in the '80s and '90s especially .

I tried to listen to planet Rock for example in lockdown  , and in all honesty there were a couple of what I call newer bands ( massive wagons and I forgot the others ) , but there was nothing there . ( except for constant repeated commercials and music as old as JR Harley ) I tried , then switched off and can't see me going back .

I will look into Haestorm more though , as they have rreal talent and looked good on a clip I saw on Download on TV.

I got back into sparks and think the Hippopotamus album is one of the best albums I purchased in years. 
Although ltd in talent , I purchased the Celtic Frost box set , and love it . Same with both Tangerine Dream box sets of late.

As for Hawkwind and seeing them multiple times , I can only really listen to Levitation now . Love Rush, and snakes and ladders and Exit stage left are the only ones I don't bother with so much. 

I mentioned Roses above , but I only have the Lies EP ..and I don't play it . Got bored of them very quickly . 
As for RATM mentioned above  , I purchased the 1st album , and downloaded the rest . Apologies in advance , but they sound very samey and whiney. Not a band for party classics . can't tolerate them now .
Soundgarden I don't bother with anymore . When they played Hyde park with sabbath, they played the whole of 5he superunknown album and the last couple of songs were really depressing . Not exactly bad motorfinger . I don't bother much with them now..

• Like 2

Red Hot Chili Peppers. As a teenager I loved them until they released By The Way which didn't really impress me. I kinda liked parts of Stadium Arcadium but then I saw them live and it was one of the most plodding, uninspired, phoned in gigs I have ever been to. Haven't listened to them since.

Also, not so much an 'artist', but any modern 'follow the guitarist' pentatonic blues music generally gets turned off unless the artist is something special (like Kingfish Ingram). I grew up with SRV, Clapton, Buddy Guy etc and I have heard most of the licks, song formats and lyrical subject matter too many times. I actually prefer listening to singer/songwriter country music instead.

I used to really love post hardcore music like Glassjaw, Alexisonfire, Dillinger Escape Plan and Every Time I Die in my teens and early twenties, but as I enter my late 30s I tend to consider that type of music as 'young people music'. I am more likely to listen to stoner/doom metal or thrash instead for my 'heavy' music fix.

• Like 1

I have a tendency to come across an artist, binge their stuff, then one day just stop listening to it because I've overindulged. Eventually I'll rediscover them and think "huh, I used to listen to this a lot, maybe I should give it a whirl again". Sometimes that reignites a love for the artist, other times I'd be happy to never hear it again. There aren't many artists in the latter category, thankfully!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, neepheid said:

Noone is handing out medals for forcing yourself to listen to stuff you dont like. I've been through phases where I felt I ought to be listening to things will more cultural significance (Bowie etc) and/or musical sophistication (Jazz), but at some point I thought sod that and went back to AC/DC ...

Edited by bassman7755

1 minute ago, bassman7755 said:

Noone is handing out medals for forcing yourself to listen to stuff you dont like. I've been through phases where I felt I ought should be listening to things will more cultural significance (Bowie etc) and/or musical sophistication (Jazz), but at some point I thought sod that and went back to AC/DC ...

Wasn't expecting medals.  I'm merely realising that I used to be a voracious consumer of new music and nowadays I just DGAF.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

There isnt much I grew up on that I dont like anymore. If anything listening to old classics often reveals riches I didnt appreciate at the time e.g. Micheal Anthony's bass playing on early van halen albums, or the bluesyness of Angus Youngs playing to name some random ones.

Edited by bassman7755

I recently went through a bunch of old CD's that I'd not listened to in years in order to get some "new" music in the car, but I quickly discovered I stopped listening to them for a reason.

Likewise, I get recommendations for new stuff quite often, but very, very little of that piques my interest.

It's getting a tad frustrating.